every time i lay the phone on a table/desk...and pick it up...its in landscape! man not sure if its just "my" phone.

if not..wish it would default to upright mode (in it mostly)
    01-09-09 11:04 PM
    ive heard from people on this forum about this happening. however, i have heard that with .85 that the accelorameter isn't as jumpy. maybe take a chance and upgrade to that if its that bad or you can wait for the OS
    01-09-09 11:10 PM
    Nope. I had that problem in .65 and .75 but not since .83 (running .85 now). Upgrade your OS and it will be fine.
    You are not the only one. I like to lay my phone down on my desk at work and check things out like that, but the phone moves to landscape most of the time.
    every time i lay the phone on a table/desk...and pick it up...its in landscape! man not sure if its just "my" phone.

I agree with you on that. Mine does that and so does everyone elses.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 11:11 PM
    ya it sucks. this has been addressed in numerous posts hopefully RIM gives the customer the option to choose which mode the phone to stay in.
    01-09-09 11:11 PM
    This is probably the most annoying feature of the phone other then that I love my storm.
    01-09-09 11:12 PM
    Yep- Happens every time....Only noticing since I put .85 on the phone.
    01-10-09 08:27 AM
    You aren't the only one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 08:34 AM

I haven't upgraded to .83/.85. I'm still on .75 and mine responds the same way. Quirky little thing, but I can't fault the phone because it is responding the way the accelerometer is supposed to work. Whenever you lay it down, generally, you lay it down on its side. Thus enabling landscape mode. When you pick it up, again, you would generally pick it up from its side. Which, again, defaults to landscape mode.

How do you alleviate this? Lay it down and pick it up portrait style. Yeah I know it's quirky like that and I'd like to get upset, but then when you think about it, you can't get too upset at something following what you're telling it to do (the accelerometer).

Not to thread steal, but the only set portrait function I would like is when a phone call comes in. No one in there right mind would be talking in landscape mode unless it's in speakerphone function (because the mic is at the bottom of the phone). So once a phone call comes in, the phone automatically defaults to portrait and you can answer the call more efficiently. If you do put the phone on speakerphone, then allow the accelerometer to kick in.
    01-10-09 08:41 AM
    Mine does it...a bit annoying...
    01-10-09 08:43 AM
    Yup!! Annoying, but not worth the hassle of an unofficial upgrade...
    01-10-09 08:46 AM
    ugh...yes, it does happen to me, and it is terribly annoying.
    Last edited by josh.perry; 01-10-09 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo
    01-10-09 08:52 AM
    happens here. i always end up picking it back up and laying it down slowly so it stays upright. pain in the neck
    01-10-09 09:58 AM
    Mine too. Drives me nuts. I am going to wait for the official upgrade though
    01-10-09 09:59 AM
    Mine always re-adjust itself when I pick it up so laying it back down is not something I have to do. This was annoying for like the 1st week & then after that I got used to it & no more worries. I want my accelerometer to me that responsive so I'm happy.
    01-10-09 10:05 AM
    I'm on .85 and mine does and doesn't do it. I find myself laying the phone down one side or the other it goes into landscape, but if I set it straight down or lay the bottom on the table 1st it stays in portrait
    01-10-09 10:12 AM
    Mine does it sometimes, but it seems to be related to how I lay it down. Similar to Dkingsf, if I keep it vertical as I lay it down, it seems to stay in portrait while on the desk. I am able to use it while it is on the desk and it maintains the portrait view.
    01-10-09 11:13 AM
    Mine does, but it doesn't bother me.
    01-10-09 11:26 AM
    yeah mine did that for sure
    01-10-09 11:31 AM
    Running )S .85 and don't have this problem anymore
    01-10-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD