I am considering adding the internet access back for my laptop, I used to use their pcmi card, but am thinking of using my storm as the modem instead, anyone else do this, is it just as good as using their air card?
    07-25-09 03:23 AM
    Are you referring to tethering? If so, you can get i through VZW for $29.99 a month (if you have BIS). Two popular third party options are Tetherberry and PDANet.

Tethering

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...-storm-102105/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...laptop-119742/

Tetherberry/PDANet

Go Here. Type either "Tetherberry" or "PDANet" into Key Word(s) field. Select Titles Only in drop down. Search Now and you'll get quite a few threads on these apps.
    07-25-09 06:24 AM
    Also if you happen to run linux there is the Barry project. My storm does great in both line and windows. Can't compare to aircard as I haven't had one before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 06:46 AM
    I wouldn't use Tetherberry or PDAnet if your with VZW. It goes against the TOS. VZW finds out your screwed. Is it worth the chance? Not for me.

I have used VZ Access. All of them are only worth it if you are traveling and don't have access to your home connection. I used it when I moved so I can pay one of my bills.
    Last edited by DravenX; 07-25-09 at 07:05 AM.
    07-25-09 07:00 AM
    I use tetherberry all the time with my netbook and it works very well. Vzw couldn't care less about it, and although the app is a little pricey its also a one time fee. I've been using it for a few months now and haven't had any issues with it yet. Very easy to use too.

07-25-09 09:27 AM
    So I just went and read my service contract and it turns out it is against the rules. I use it for surfing and email and haven't had any vzw issues yet. After reading the contract I wouldn't try downloading music or heavy data though

07-25-09 09:53 AM
    Yes I just bough TetherBerry and it worked fine on a Vista and Windows 7 laptop. I will test it out in various locations. I called Verizon and they gave me two different answers regarding charges. Are there any additional charges? I have an ATT data card which I pay $65 per month and have 8 mos. left. I will try to get out of that contract if my Storm tethers as well as my test. I live in a poor Verizon signal strength area and I drop calls all the time, but the tether worked great. My laptop was as fast or faster than my home DSL.
    07-25-09 10:36 AM
    So I just went and read my service contract and it turns out it is against the rules. I use it for surfing and email and haven't had any vzw issues yet. After reading the contract I wouldn't try downloading music or heavy data though

I am not a heavy data user, so I do not think I will violate the Verizon contract. I don't download movies or use Bit Torrent. I occasionally look at YouTube.

I find the Storm Browser to really suck. So I feel if I can tether to my laptop I will be substituting an internet service that is almost useless on the Storm 9530.
    07-25-09 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD