Hey everyone i am fairly new to this blackberry thing and when i went to update my phone the other day there was some sort of hiccup during the process and it fried it. Along with not being able to reconcile everything on my phone i now am wondering if there is a way to update my new phone or do i need to wait for it to alert me? Any advice would be nice. Thanks so much.
    06-13-09 01:39 PM
    You can update it through the air or you can update it with Desktop Manager...the air took about 45 minutes for me to complete.
    06-13-09 01:40 PM
    ok so i feel dumb. Where do i find it though? When i run the desktop manager will it automatically alert me that there is a new update?
    06-13-09 01:46 PM
    Go to the Storm OS subforum and look for the big sticky that says:

INFO!!! HELP GUIDE: Upgrade/Downgrade, Backup, BRICKED STORM! Your FULL Resource!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rlmesq; 06-13-09 at 02:50 PM.
    06-13-09 02:44 PM
    ok so i feel dumb. Where do i find it though? When i run the desktop manager will it automatically alert me that there is a new update?
    Don't feel dumb. It will be dumb only if you don't ask question.

There are 2 ways to do upgrade..... Over The Air (using wireless connection) or through Desktop Manager. Desktop Manager is the better way because you might run into "out of memories" issue when you do it OTA.

Before you do the upgrade, make sure you backup all your contacts and calendar information. The upgrade program will delete them from your phone. You can either sync them up with your computer's Outlook email program or you can sync them up with Google Sync (if you have a Google account).

After that, you can now connect your Storm to your computer, using the USB cable, then launch DM. DM will automatically prompt you the list of upgrades, which should include the 4.7.0.148 OS upgrade. The upgrade program will backup all your 3rd party software, delete all your contacts and calendar information, then install the new OS. After the upgrade, the install program will put back all your 3rd party software to your phone. You might have to re-do the configuration of your 3rd party software. After that, you can sync back all of your contacts and calendar, either from Outlook or from Google.

The whole process is smooth and painless. With that being said, I am not seeing any improvement on performance. But then my Storm has never had any problem before the upgrade.

Hope this helps.
    06-13-09 03:29 PM
    Back up everything, data and third party apps because sometimes the restore does not work properly when a new OS is installed. I would estimate that it has NOT worked properly for me about 20% of the time and I have installed every leak and official OS as well as about three hybreds since I got my Storm in November.
    06-13-09 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD