Greetings.

I seem to have hit a wall. I am a recent convert to the BB, specifically from a Palm > HTC > Storm. I love my storm. I have really only had Two frustrating problem�s with it so far.

1: My computer at work is not hooked up to the internet. I can not get internet access at work. This renders my BB desktop useless. Is there a way around this. If I bring my computer home and hook it to the internet, for the 1st use will it then let me sync without internet afterwards?

2: Whenever I sync, My contacts come over, but for some reason, the birthdays don�t seem to populate the BB contact list. They are in the Micro Soft Outlook contacts, but don�t seem to come on over.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
    04-15-09 01:50 PM
    What do you mean by not having internet access doesn't allow the DM to work? That shouldn't matter, unless you're trying to get updates from the internet...

The birthday date thing has been noted as a problem many times on several threads. I didn't get the impression that anyone has found a definite answer to it, although some people suggest using google sync. Do a search and you can read through some of the threads.
    04-15-09 02:19 PM
    When I hook my storm to my computer, it says

"The computer must be connected to the Internet on order to configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the internet and try again"

Thanks for your help.
    04-15-09 02:28 PM

"The computer must be connected to the Internet on order to configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the internet and try again"

Thanks for your help.
    ah, I see...I guess I'd try taking it home, doing it there, and then bringing it back to work to see if it's ok. Maybe it's a first-time set up thing, but I don't remember...

I just turned my internet off and connected my phone to see what would happen - didn't get that message, but everything is already configured.

Maybe someone else can be more definitive...
    Last edited by leo1055; 04-15-09 at 02:43 PM.
    04-15-09 02:35 PM

Thanks for your help.
    Do you actually not have internet access or is the internet blocked? If it is blocked, just use a proxy avoidance site.
    04-15-09 02:35 PM

Thanks for your help.
    The DM only needs the internet for the initial set-up, then it can be used with no internet connection. So yes, you could take your computer home to configure DM sync, and then you will not have to worry about it after that.
    04-15-09 02:39 PM
    I work in a basement, so I dont get Wireless internet signals. My work computer is on a secured served (Government) and we are not permitted to use it.

The computer I use at work, is my personal computer. It is stable and fast, and I can load any software I want on it.

i wonder if I have to take the computer home one night for the initial set-up. Afterwards would the sync work without internet?
    04-15-09 02:43 PM
    I work in a basement, so I dont get Wireless internet signals. My work computer is on a secured served (Government) and we are not permitted to use it.

The computer I use at work, is my personal computer. It is stable and fast, and I can load any software I want on it.

i wonder if I have to take the computer home one night for the initial set-up. Afterwards would the sync work without internet?
    seems that way according to reply right above yours
    04-15-09 02:44 PM
    The DM only needs the internet for the initial set-up, then it can be used with no internet connection. So yes, you could take your computer home to configure DM sync, and then you will not have to worry about it after that.
    Much Mahalo, I will lug the box hoe and update it.
    04-15-09 02:45 PM
    Morf32:

When I was looking for an answer to the birthday syncing problem, I noticed you had posted about that too...did you ever find an answer?
    04-15-09 02:46 PM
    2: Whenever I sync, My contacts come over, but for some reason, the birthdays don�t seem to populate the BB contact list. They are in the Micro Soft Outlook contacts, but don�t seem to come on over.
    You need to make sure that the fields are mapped correctly. Once you are able to DM working and have sync'd once (to go through the initial setup),try this:
    • Connect and open DM.
    • Click on the "Synchronize" button.
    • On the left, under "Configure" click on "Synchronization".
    • In the right pane, click on the "Synchronization" button.
    • Select "Address Book", then click the "Advanced" button below.
    • Click the "Map Fields..." button towards the bottom.
    • Scroll down until you find "Birthday" on the right (Outlook side) and ensure that on the left (device side) that it also shows "Birthday". If it doesn't scroll around until you find it and move it in-line with the Outlook side (click/hold and drag). Then ensure there is a double arrow shown between each side. If not, click in the middle and it should show up.

Do the same for "Anniversary" .
    04-15-09 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD