Hi all,

This is my first thread but I just thought I'd let you know that I've just spotted a review of the Vodafone 9500 Storm over on Pocket-lint. (I can't post the link as I've not made 10 posts yet! )

As has already been mentioned in the forum, it looks like there is going to be a bit of a delay and the release date now appears to be the 14th November 2008 for UK Storm chasers!
    11-06-08 04:23 AM
    Thanks for the tip off hitman.

Here's the link:

BlackBerry Storm mobile phone review

They love it!

Verdict: The BlackBerry Storm does all the iPhone can do but better and in our mind has the best email system on offer in a mobile device today

Has Research In Motion cracked the touchscreen? It seems they have. While the iPhone still offers plenty to the consumer, the lack of a number of key features such as MMS, video, Flash support in web browsing, a 2-megapixel camera, no Bluetooth data, no camera flash, no desktop pairing so you can use it as a modem and no cut and paste function has left Apple suddenly finding themselves trailing behind.

The BlackBerry Storm does all the above (bar Wi-Fi) and in our mind has the best email system on offer in a mobile device today.

It's not all perfect though. The lack of Wi-Fi will grate with some, while others will want a better camera, and then there is the battery. Like other powerful handsets on the market this is likely to be a charge every day affair.

As a BlackBerry Curve user for the last 2 years, when we played with the Bold here at Pocket-lint earlier in the year we thought we had found our next phone. Luckily a tip off told us to wait for the Storm. The wait might be have a while coming, but this is good enough for it to be my next phone. High praise indeed.
    Last edited by monkeynuts; 11-06-08 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Updated verdict with full text
    11-06-08 04:27 AM
    Thanks for putting the info up monkeynuts.

It looks like they think it will be quite a challenger to the Iphone. It will be interesting to see what some of the 'Apple' brigade think of the Storm.
    11-06-08 04:37 AM
    Thanks for putting the info up monkeynuts.

It looks like they think it will be quite a challenger to the Iphone. It will be interesting to see what some of the 'Apple' brigade think of the Storm.
    In my experience, the Apple brigade is split into two camps; the opportunists who buy a Mac because it looks cool and they like the features, kudos, etc. and the loyalists, die-hard Apple lovers who would buy Steve Job's jobbies if it had an Apple logo on.

I can see the Storm cutting into the sales to the first camp, but nothing is going to stop the die hards buying Apple.

I think the Storm will kill the implementation of the iPhone stone dead in corporates if it's as good as the review makes out. I am a business user and know a few other business people who have been tempted to the iPhone 3G. Expect to see an increase in iPhone 3Gs on eBay in the run up to Christmas
    11-06-08 04:43 AM
    I agree with MonkeyNuts;
    Helluva a name by the way. But I myself I am a gadget freak; I like my toys.
    But I may have a need from time to time where I may need a business device.
    It is nice to have the combination of both. While this phone may not be for lack of better words as gamey and fun as the iphone it will be close enough for me. I have not been one to use my phone for vids and pics that much but with the sweet camera I will use it a bit more. I am sure in time they will come out with some really nice third party apps. The more they reveal about this phone the sweeter it gets. Also a co-worker of mine got an iphone and just in the looks dept alone this phone is tight. The Storm I think will definitely make things interesting. Heck Apple is already mulling dropping the price on the iphone u go figure..................
    Just my hmo; and thanks for the link.
    AKA S1
    11-06-08 06:06 AM
    Very nice review... thanks for posting it.

The more I learn about this phone the more I'm dyin' to get it!!
    11-06-08 07:12 AM
    Nice review. I found this part however to be interesting.......

While the iPhone still offers plenty to the consumer, the lack of a number of key features such as MMS, video, Flash support in web browsing, a 2-megapixel camera, no Bluetooth data, no camera flash, no desktop pairing so you can use it as a modem and no cut and paste function has left Apple suddenly finding themselves trailing behind.
    There is no Flash support on the storm either. Not sure how they can consider this a negative to the iPhone but not the storm.
    11-06-08 07:32 AM
    Nice review. I found this part however to be interesting.......

There is no Flash support on the storm either. Not sure how they can consider this a negative to the iPhone but not the storm.
    The FM radio part got me too
    11-06-08 07:37 AM
    I noticed that too. There is something definately strange about this review.
    11-06-08 07:45 AM
    I noticed that too. There is something definately strange about this review.
    Good spot, I could possibly imagine flash support being added, but they are hardly likely to slip an FM radio in at the last minute via new firmware...

Either a review written before they had the unit, or some confusion on the part of the reviewer? I don't know how long they had the unit before the review was written, but I would hope they used it for a day or two.
    11-06-08 08:00 AM
    I'm confused. I don't see where he talks about an FM radio.
    11-06-08 08:31 AM
    Here's another preview. Sounds like the UK press are being given their review units now.

Hands on with the RIM/Vodafone BlackBerry Storm | Register Hardware

Interesting bit here:

Vodafone told us though that there are plans to bring Wi-Fi to the Storm, but a timescale for the roll-out hasn�t been confirmed.
    Is this a new phone, or is it already in there? The plot thickens!
    11-06-08 08:43 AM
    That makes this review biased IMO, but hey I'll take it.

I hope I have one on the 15th.
    11-06-08 08:44 AM
    BTW - based on the pics, looks like he had the phone on Oct 27 (or at least that's when the pics were taken!)

I noticed the lack of any complaint when switching orientations. If it is a true review, that's good!
    I'm confused. I don't see where he talks about an FM radio.
    It's on the summary page - they don't mention it in the body of the review but it's listed under "Tech specs" on the "Quick review" page.
    In my experience, the Apple brigade is split into two camps; the opportunists who buy a Mac because it looks cool and they like the features, kudos, etc. and the loyalists, die-hard Apple lovers who would buy Steve Job's jobbies if it had an Apple logo on.

I can see the Storm cutting into the sales to the first camp, but nothing is going to stop the die hards buying Apple.

I think the Storm will kill the implementation of the iPhone stone dead in corporates if it's as good as the review makes out. I am a business user and know a few other business people who have been tempted to the iPhone 3G. Expect to see an increase in iPhone 3Gs on eBay in the run up to Christmas

I couldn't have said it better if I tried. Now that the 3g iPhone is down to around $300 I don't think it's really a big deal for people to get one. For those who aren't in tune with unlocking the phone (the "opportunists") it will come down to how well they like AT&T and how well their coverage is where they live.
    11-06-08 08:59 AM
    Good review. They say it will be a "charge every day affair" like thats a bad thing? You just pop it in that cradle and it will charge up. Whats the big deal about having to charge the phone every day? I do that with my current phone and its fine..doesnt bother me.
    11-06-08 09:36 AM
    Good review. They say it will be a "charge every day affair" like thats a bad thing? You just pop it in that cradle and it will charge up. Whats the big deal about having to charge the phone every day? I do that with my current phone and its fine..doesnt bother me.
    I agree, and with that natty horizontal cradle and the alarm clock mode, why wouldn't you pop it in for a charge overnight. I'll probably even take the cradle when I am travelling.
    11-06-08 10:22 AM
    Another review:

Hands on: Blackberry Storm 9500 review | News | TechRadar UK

Bit dubious that they are using a photo from a while back, but I think there was some kind of press junket today and maybe not all of the journalists had a photographer there.

Basically, and this is said with a great amount of rationality, the BlackBerry Storm 9500 is up there with the iPhone 3G as the phone of the year. Depending on your preferences or point of view you'll probably side with one or the other, but the touchscreen interaction is simply marvellous and can't be beat.

The size, operation and sheer functionality of the device brings the entire BlackBerry brand messaging strength and packages it up in a way that consumers will love. Hats off to RIM, and get ready for a full review in the next week.
    Last edited by monkeynuts; 11-06-08 at 10:42 AM.
    11-06-08 10:39 AM
    Another Review:

I like this one in particular because she demonstrates cut and paste on the phone as well as some other features.

Enjoy.
    11-06-08 12:01 PM
    A good piece of kit...never heard that before...lol.
    11-06-08 12:14 PM
    Yet another review, with a picture. Reviewer does not like clikcing screen! I don't have time to comment on why I think it is a good or bad review. Just providing the community with more info.

Screening the BlackBerry Storm - Communication Breakdown - David Meyer's Blog at ZDNet.co.uk Community

"Only it doesn't work properly. The screen can only register one keystroke at a time, and - because it has to physically pop back up after each stroke - typing at any kind of reasonable speed just ends up in a mess. It looks so good and it feels so good, but it just doesn't bloody work the way a BlackBerry should.

What's worse, the up-down mechanics of the screen seem to have led RIM to not seal the screen's borders properly. You can see a very thin gap around the whole thing, offering a slight view right down to the circuitry. Dust? Water? Whoops."
    11-06-08 12:28 PM
    11-06-08 12:29 PM
    Very short blurb with a ton of pics. Here is a screenshot:

BlackBerry Storm hands-on: photo overload! | News | The Link Experts

11-06-08 12:34 PM
    Were not doing too badly for reviews today. I wonder how many more we'll get in the next few days?
    11-06-08 02:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD