I am a new storm owner and love it. I have three emails and all work but one. It is my work email using BIS and OWA I receive emails no problem, but cannot send or forward them, I get a red x and "message included an invalid address". I have tried deleting the account and redoing it, battery pull, resending the service books, and several days reading forums. I don't know what to do next.
    03-01-09 10:14 PM
    I too have this problem...anyone have solutions?
    03-01-09 10:15 PM
    My wife phone started to do this too. She uses OWA and can receive emails fine but cant sent any out. She gets like you guys "message included an invalid address" I tried resending the service books and a battery pull but nothing works. Any one with a solution? BTW she is running .109
    03-02-09 09:27 PM
    I was hoping an OS update would help, guess not.
    This issue is really frustrating. I got the phone to help me at work and its not. I love every other aspect
    Of the phone but this is what BB is supposed to do best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 09:40 PM
    I use BIS/OWA and it works fine for me. Something has got to be up with your account setup. Are you sure you're tying the To: address correctly when you send an email? If you're using an address book entry that was synchronized over from her Exchange box at work, it's very possible that the email addresses are incorrect. By default the "Global Address Book" does not contain properly populated addreses... depending on who setup the Exchange server.

Test the setup by actually sending email to an address you type in with an @ in it. If it works, then it's the issue above or even something that's messed up in the manual address book entries he/she may have.
    03-02-09 09:48 PM
    I tried sending an email to my wife's @verizon.net address same thing. A big red x. So frustrated with this. I have tried suggestions from several forums. The last thing i can think of doing is a wipe of the phone. But i don't really want to do that. I am going to try calling my IT department tomorrow to see if they have OWA configured somehow so that it is the cause of this.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Blacho; 03-02-09 at 10:12 PM.
    03-02-09 09:57 PM
    It work fine since I set it up for her. Just yesterday she notice it was doing that. Even if I manually enter an address it does this. I hope someone knows what is causing this
    03-03-09 07:08 AM
    When this happened to me on the BIS plan it was because I had sorted my contacts by last name. When I changed the sort to by first name, I could send emails again.
    03-03-09 07:50 AM
    When this happened to me on the BIS plan it was because I had sorted my contacts by last name. When I changed the sort to by first name, I could send emails again.
    I just tried this too, No luck with that either.
    03-03-09 08:20 AM
    Hey blacho what did your it department tell you? I'm thinking about setting up the account again to see if that works. I just don't get it. Its been workint fine since I set up her email back when she got her storm in Nov. And now yesterday she can't send emails
    03-03-09 08:58 AM
    Just spoke to them.
    What I was told is that the university does not have a Blackberry server and in order to sync with the system, Blackberry needs to be using "Microsoft Active sync". Which RIM currently does not support. He said there might be an app out there that allows this, or it will be a waiting game till Blackberry supports Active sync. I need to either have an Iphone, which I cant make that change, or a Windows mobile phone. Basically Im SOL i guess.

Off to see if i can find that app.
    03-03-09 09:24 AM
    I had the same problem with the little red X when I would reply to messages.

After playing with the BIS settings for awhile, it dawned on me that I couldn't just use my e-mail address, I had to use the fully qualified e-mail address as the Mailbox Name and Reply to address.

example....

If you normally give out your e-mail address as "[email protected]", yet your OWA server adds on something else, you need to use that. So instead of "[email protected]" it would be "[email protected]"

You will need to contact your e-mail administrators for this info, or you can look at the header information of an e-mail you send yourself. Try sending yourself an e-mail from your OWA account to a Yahoo account then look at the headers. It will show you the fully qualified e-mail address you need to use.

We had the same problem with the (gasp) Iphones.

Hope this helps!

-S
    03-03-09 09:59 AM
    You need to log into the Verizon BIS portal and make absolutely sure that the account is configured for OWA conduit. I bet you the IT freaks there configured multiple conduits for IMAP, POP, and OWA, but what happens is that the email setup program picks the first available conduit it tests and uses that. So, while you may think that you are using the OWA conduit, it's possible you're using the POP or IMAP conduit and that's why you can't send out (could be they locked out authentication on sending from outside their network). Check that.
    03-03-09 10:05 AM
    You need to log into the Verizon BIS portal and make absolutely sure that the account is configured for OWA conduit. I bet you the IT freaks there configured multiple conduits for IMAP, POP, and OWA, but what happens is that the email setup program picks the first available conduit it tests and uses that. So, while you may think that you are using the OWA conduit, it's possible you're using the POP or IMAP conduit and that's why you can't send out (could be they locked out authentication on sending from outside their network). Check that.
    Is that something I have to do from the PC, Or from the Storm? When I set up from the BB I made sure to check that it was from an outlook account.
    03-03-09 01:26 PM
    You have to do it from a PC. You will however need to go into the Email setup app on the Storm and hit Menu/Create Username if you haven't done that. Then use that info on this site https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw to get in and manage the account setup in much more detail.
    03-03-09 02:35 PM
    I have this same issue and have tried every solution RIM suggests. When I had my Pearl I never had this issue. It always recieved and sent emails via OWA without any issues. I've been hoping that this is an OS bug or something that will get fixed eventually.

:-(
    03-03-09 03:17 PM
    I created a user name and edited my account via the internet on the pc. the email server is listed as "https://owa.(Universityname).edu/exchange". I am assuming that this is an OWA account. I deleted the troublesome account and recreated it, resent servicebooks, and tried to sent an email. The problem still existed. I got a big red x and "Message included an invalid address" in the Message status. I talket to IT at the school and was told that I needed Microsoft Active sync and the university uses Windows Mobile phones and does not have a BES. I dont understand what is happening or why some people can use OWA with no problem. PLZ HELP!
    03-04-09 09:39 AM
    I created a user name and edited my account via the internet on the pc. the email server is listed as "https://owa.(Universityname).edu/exchange". I am assuming that this is an OWA account. I deleted the troublesome account and recreated it, resent servicebooks, and tried to sent an email. The problem still existed. I got a big red x and "Message included an invalid address" in the Message status. I talket to IT at the school and was told that I needed Microsoft Active sync and the university uses Windows Mobile phones and does not have a BES. I dont understand what is happening or why some people can use OWA with no problem. PLZ HELP!

Make sure the following settings are your fully qualified name:

Mailbox name: <username>@something.university.edu
    Reply to: <username>@something.university.edu
    Your Name: (optional)
    User Name: domain\username
    Password: (your password)

I had the above set with the following and it didn't work....you need the "something" filled in...

<username>@university.edu <---- this didn't work.

Our mailbox is bumail.university.edu
    yours might be OWA.university.edu

or something like that.

Give it a shot.

-S
    03-04-09 11:27 AM
    Make sure the following settings are your fully qualified name:

Mailbox name: <username>@something.university.edu
    Reply to: <username>@something.university.edu
    Your Name: (optional)
    User Name: domain\username
    Password: (your password)

I had the above set with the following and it didn't work....you need the "something" filled in...

<username>@university.edu <---- this didn't work.

Our mailbox is bumail.university.edu
    yours might be OWA.university.edu

or something like that.

Give it a shot.

-S
    I tried OWA.university.edu Did not work. What would be an example of a domain name becaust I did not have one listed. How would I find out the fully qualified name

Thnx
    03-04-09 11:48 AM
    Other than calling your IT department, I would just send yourself a test e-mail to an off-site address (yahoo, gmail) and look at the header details. In there it will show the full e-mail address that sent you the e-mail and should give you what you're looking for.

Sorry I can't give you more precise info.

Good luck
    -S
    03-04-09 12:07 PM
    I sent myself a test Gmail and the header came up as <username>@university.edu which is what I have entered in my blackberry settings

Still get redx
    Last edited by Blacho; 03-04-09 at 06:06 PM.
    03-04-09 12:55 PM
    $20 says they have the OWA server behind an ISA server.

Try mail.universatyname.com/exchange, that's really what it should read as, not OWA. Blame it on the dumb dumbs in the IT department for not knowing how to setup OWA properly to work. The fact alone that they don't know that Blackberry has a BIS/OWA conduit for email capabilities proves enough for me. Dumb dumbs I tell ya. Sorry for your issues.
    03-04-09 10:14 PM
    Thank you all for your help.

But I still can not get it working. JRSCCivic98 I tried your suggestion about changing the server name, No luck. BIS web page said it could not connect. I am really stumped. IT says they have no exchange support for Blackberry and I need some sort of third party app that supports Microsoft Active Sync. I don't understand why we have Outlook Web access web page I can use over the web, But I cant send emails from the Blackberry. If the work Email gets received on the Blackberry, it seems as if I should be able to send it out too.

I am going to try calling Verizon today. My IT dept says that it is impossible to do, But how come this problem is not universal?
    03-05-09 08:52 AM
    Do they allow POP/Imap? Are you able to use another e-mail client to read your e-mail, or is it web only?
    03-05-09 10:08 AM
    $20 says they have the OWA server behind an ISA server.

Try mail.universatyname.com/exchange, that's really what it should read as, not OWA. Blame it on the dumb dumbs in the IT department for not knowing how to setup OWA properly to work. The fact alone that they don't know that Blackberry has a BIS/OWA conduit for email capabilities proves enough for me. Dumb dumbs I tell ya. Sorry for your issues.

You sound JUST like Dr. House!, man, I'm hooked on the show and reading your response, i'm here thinking thats how House would have answered that LOL, "whilst writing on the whiteboard!"
    03-05-09 10:31 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD