I just read that they are already working on an android port for the Pre. I would love to replace the Blackberry OS with Android on my storm. Andriod would be a huge improvement and I have lost all faith in RIM to produce a decent OS in the future. Anyone know if it is possible?
    01-21-09 01:56 PM
    I don't know for sure, but this seems HIGHLY improbable at this point. Maybe on future BBs. Remember the Pre is still being finailized, so they can abilities like that.
    01-21-09 02:00 PM
    I actually put up a thread in the OS forum about RIM migrating to the Android platform, figuring instead of going it alone, they could take advantage of the improvements made by competitors... Just holding back some of the "crown jewels" like push email and making those proprietary modules only found on Blackberry devices. With RIM's experience in mobile device operating systems, they could probably shave a good 2-3 years off the time it really takes Android to mature into a great platform.

I'd forgotten all about it since it got buried by the time I got up in the morning.

Anyway, it'd be pretty tough to port anything to the Storm without pretty detailed hardware specs, and you'd very likely lose the push email that Blackberries are known for. It wouldn't be impossible, but doing something of a clean room reverse engineering job is very slow going.

So unless Palm was willing to hand over the hardware specs for the Pre, I find it pretty unlikely that you'll be seeing an Android port for it any time soon. Someone probably just floated the idea, like you did here, and it somehow morphed from an idea to some people kicking the idea around to discuss the problems likely to be encountered to someone thinking it's release was imminent.
    01-21-09 02:16 PM
    I just read that they are already working on an android port for the Pre. I would love to replace the Blackberry OS with Android on my storm. Andriod would be a huge improvement and I have lost all faith in RIM to produce a decent OS in the future. Anyone know if it is possible?
    Not possible. Its actually more likely that RIM will develop and blackberry solution for the android platform (like BB connect, but under the BB App Suite/Virtual BB brand)
    01-21-09 02:18 PM
    Here is the link I was reading.
    Palm Pre Android port already in progress - Engadget

I think that RIM was cutting edge in the past with push email, but everyone is on the bandwagon now, and there is not room for everyone, M$ will make sure of it. I think the Pre will have a tough go of it as well, eventhough they make a solid product. RIM is so far behind at this point, it is only a matter of time until they go the way of the Zip drive.
    01-21-09 02:28 PM
    I knowthe guys have at xda developers have ported android to a couple devices. The htc vogue in particular is almost fully useable with android running

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 03:14 PM
    It won't be anything official anyway besides, Android was designed to be efficient on low end devices, the Palm Pre running Android is overkill on the power front.
    01-21-09 03:44 PM
    Whew, now that is just what I would want ..... a BlackBerry Android. Why didn't I think of that ......
    01-21-09 03:54 PM
    the whole part of why blackberry has been the top for businesses is because RIM makes the entire solution. the hardware, the OS and the push email platform. 1 cook. not 100 hands in the pot.
    01-21-09 08:28 PM
    Ummm any decent IMAP client/server will do the same thing as push email, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a decent j2me imap client :/
    01-21-09 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD