I propose an update to the full qwerty keyboard for the storm (landscape view)

Add an "Alt" button AND, like the curve, , Add the numbers/ different symbols to each letter key (smaller and faded). So you can shift between them.

It's soo annoying when you want to type in someone's pin, or some kind of address, or alpha numeric whatsoever you have to keep holding down the numbers button for num lock... it would make typing THAT much better.

Second Idea.

I really liked how speed dial on my old 8703e let you store From A-Z.. Not just 1-9 on the storm..

How about this. If you flip to landscape view after you hit the call button, you have the full qwerty open and then you can select like the old way.

It's so much easier using A-Z to remember which person is attached..
    I.E. Bob for B... instead of 5 for Cathy..

Right??!?!

That's an easy implementation no?
    01-04-09 06:24 PM
    I don't understand how the first idea is different from the current implementation, but the second idea seems nice.
    01-04-09 06:29 PM
    Additional speed dials would be a great improvement. I personally don't use speed dials, but friends and family do and the lack of speed dials was a major reason they returned the Storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 06:32 PM
    I'll try to be more concise. Idea the first: One of the reasons I fell in love with my first blackberry (8703e) is how easy it was to type numbers and letters via the "Alt" key.

Doing this with the storm feels archaic, like the old crappy non-smartphones I used to own in so that you must go to a seperate screen to type in numbers.

better?
    01-04-09 06:41 PM
    I'll try to be more concise. Idea the first: One of the reasons I fell in love with my first blackberry (8703e) is how easy it was to type numbers and letters via the "Alt" key.

Doing this with the storm feels archaic, like the old crappy non-smartphones I used to own in so that you must go to a seperate screen to type in numbers.

better?
    So the whole difference would be that using your idea would mean putting more characters on each key and not changing it with the Alt/!?123 key? No thanks. IMHO, your idea seems more "archaic". Not sure how a keyboard with dynamic content could be considered archaic...
    01-04-09 07:48 PM
    Yea i agree with you ylexot, I find it very simple to switch between numbers and letters, all it takes to lock the number pad is to hold down the number key for about 1 second. Nice and easy.
    01-04-09 07:52 PM
    Yup. Hold down the number key for a second and it will lock the keypad to allow you to type a bunch of numbers at once. Also, I belive if you type "mypin" and then a spacebar twice and it will display your pin number.
    01-04-09 07:56 PM

better?
    From your first post I don't think you know how the shift key works. You just hold it down until the lock symbol shows up. You can then release the button.
    You don't have to hold it down

01-04-09 07:57 PM
    I agree with you socrack, as long as there is no transition time between pressing the alt key, and typing a number or symbol. The screen change from ABC to symbols is like downshifting while typing.
    01-04-09 08:02 PM
    all you have to do is hold down the 123 key and it locks in the number pad, then just hit abc to go back to letters and it automatically locks into letters, no need to change any of this.
    01-04-09 08:05 PM
    Everything is fine the way it is already in my opinion.
    01-04-09 08:10 PM

Add an "Alt" button AND, like the curve, , Add the numbers/ different symbols to each letter key (smaller and faded). So you can shift between them.

It's soo annoying when you want to type in someone's pin, or some kind of address, or alpha numeric whatsoever you have to keep holding down the numbers button for num lock... it would make typing THAT much better.
    I believe this would be physically impossible with the Storm because it is really only one button so how can you hit two at the same time? Also, you have to hold down the Alt key anyways so what is wrong with holding the !?123 key?
    01-04-09 08:11 PM
    Nah, I like the keyboard the way it is.
    01-04-09 08:12 PM
    1. I know how to switch by holding the 123. I just find it annoying and creates lag by introducing 2 extra transition screens. It's like vista that way, fancy but slower. Perhaps a software update could make transitions faster. I don't know.

2. Alt wouldn't have to be held. just 1 click and then whatver number/symbol you're trying to get.

my way there'd be two less transition screens when typing. Which means faster product.

Listen, I know a lot of people are bashing the storm on these forums. I love my storm, it's great! I can see the potential for it! With all the bashing, I can see why people are defending it.

BUT..

I just think by communicating new ideas, like these two, would provide more options so we ALL can brag about how kick *** it is, and how iPhone can eat fist.

RIM probably has a department that goes through these forums looking for ideas, problems - 'cause it's our feedback that willl help the iphone tumble! well.. not tumble..

today my bro in law compared the storm to the pc guy on tv, and the iphone to the mac guy... we need an app store, software updates.. i'm done ranting. thanks for listening.
    01-05-09 12:54 AM
    1. I know how to switch by holding the 123. I just find it annoying and creates lag by introducing 2 extra transition screens. It's like vista that way, fancy but slower. Perhaps a software update could make transitions faster. I don't know.
    Mine transitions faster than I can type.
    01-05-09 07:47 AM
    they need to offer an update to option a qwerty keyboard like iphone has that shows the letter you are on right above your thumbnail. blue highlight is not working well (not for me anyway)

sorry for using the "i" word
    01-05-09 03:59 PM

Second Idea.

I really liked how speed dial on my old 8703e let you store From A-Z.. Not just 1-9 on the storm..

How about this. If you flip to landscape view after you hit the call button, you have the full qwerty open and then you can select like the old way.

Right??!?!

I like both ideas. Granted, I do agree with everyone who said it's not that difficult now but adding an Alt button and allowing for symbols and numbers on letter keys will make it that much easier.
    01-05-09 04:40 PM
    I just think its really annoying that the symbols under "sym" key and "!?123" are different between landscape and vertical

01-05-09 05:12 PM
    go to biglots.com everything you go to click on pops up so you can see it... why cant all sites do this?
    01-05-09 05:16 PM

better?
    The difference though was that the keys on the 8703e were separate and you could hold the Alt key down as you typed the numbers out. Since there is only one click button on the storm, you can't click and hold one button and click with others, it's just not possible. That's why they created the setup we have.

If anything I would love for them to move the alt keys out further and make the space bar longer when in Landscape mode as my thumbs keep hitting the damn alt keys instead of the space bar.
    01-05-09 05:17 PM
    I can understand adding options to change how the keyboard looks. Personally I think you should be able to load a custom keyboard skin and rearrange the keys as you wish. However, your suggestion for a storm alt button is no different from the current 123 button. I think it's custom key skins that you are really looking for. You would write alt on the 123 key and split the keys to contain both the letter and alt char..

If I had my way I would put a decimal point under the numbers in landscape. There are two shift keys in number mode. This hurts my brain. Replace left shift with . and right shift with % and I would be satisfied.

Last edited by rednukleus; 01-05-09 at 06:43 PM.
    01-05-09 06:29 PM

Second Idea.

Right??!?!

You just hold the number key down for a half second and it locks the numbers... Not that hard or annoying in my opinion

01-05-09 06:35 PM
    The difference though was that the keys on the 8703e were separate and you could hold the Alt key down as you typed the numbers out. Since there is only one click button on the storm, you can't click and hold one button and click with others, it's just not possible. That's why they created the setup we have.

If anything I would love for them to move the alt keys out further and make the space bar longer when in Landscape mode as my thumbs keep hitting the damn alt keys instead of the space bar.
    yessir! Make that damn spacebar bigger!! couldnt agree more
    01-05-09 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD