View Poll Results: Have you ever cracked the screen on your Storm.

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I take care of my baby.

129 92.81%
  • Yes but it wasn't in a case.

7 5.04%
  • Yes and I even had it in a case.

2 1.44%
  • It cracked for no reason. Without even being dropped! WTF?!!

1 0.72%
    I am curious as to whether there is a legitimate reason to question build quality between the Storm 1 and the Storm 2.

I am conducting 2 polls. One in this forum and one in the Storm 2 forum.

Question is simple. Have you ever cracked the screen on your Storm.

Answers are as follows:

No, I take care of my baby.
    Yes but it wasn't in a case
    Yes and I even had it in a case
    It cracked for no reason. Without even being dropped! WTF?!!

Feel free to comment on any abuse or lack thereof that your Storm has sustained. Let's keep this thread on the first page for a while.
    Last edited by adambigge; 11-19-09 at 04:10 PM.
    11-19-09 04:03 PM
    I answered no, but i don't think I really take care of it either. I don't even have it cased most of the time, only when headed out for a night of drinking when I seem to drop it a lot. It's taken some pretty good drops with the silicone case from Verizon too.
    11-19-09 04:45 PM
    i cracked the screen once by accident though
    11-19-09 04:54 PM
    have put my storm through several accidental drops with no damage (other than cosmetic scratches) - my first drop was when the corded earphones they came with hooked onto my mower and slammed it face down onto my concrete patio. All it did was scratch the top and bottom plates and a corner of the chrome bezel - not a scratch on the screen!!! I was totally amazed....tossed those phones in the trash and invested in a bt headset
    11-19-09 05:20 PM
    I cracked my screen and took a peice of it out at the same time, it fell a short way down a mountain in tajikistan with no case...i was impressed that 99% of the touch screen still worked for another 4 months till i dropped it again at work and it shattered a bit then about half of it worked...then i thought it was time to go on ebay for a new screen
    11-19-09 05:31 PM
    Keep it comin' folks. I want to get as large a sampling as possible.
    11-19-09 05:48 PM
    No my screen has never cracked. I take care of it but its not my baby...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 06:17 PM
    Why do you need this poll? Did you crack your screen, opted out of the insurance and are you trying to get repaired for free?
    11-19-09 06:42 PM
    I have never dropped my Storm, and I got mine on launch date. (knock on wood)
    11-19-09 06:44 PM
    Why do you need this poll? Did you crack your screen, opted out of the insurance and are you trying to get repaired for free?
    Good God, no. My S2 is in it's Otterbox and will stay that way. I also always have insurance because I am very hard on phones.

We have a thread in the S2 forums in which somebody cracked their screen and tried to get VZW to replace it. He ended up manning up and paying his insurance deductible and getting another but some other people have also chimed in saying that since they dropped theirs on a hard floor and it broke then that means there must be some sort of defect.

I am of the mind that these devices should be treated like they are fragile electronic devices and not tossed around carelessly. And if it does get broken then you should just either A. pay for a new one or B. pay your deductible and get a replacement.

Some people, however, have stated that it is a statistical fact that the screens on the S2's are breaking easier than the S1. I don't know if there is a discrepancy in build quality between the S1 and S2 but I know for sure that there currently are no statistics on the matter. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... I am doing the research in order to get at least a small statistical sampling. After all, the people who want to blame the manufacturer sure aren't going to take responsibility and actually back up their claims with substantiated data. So I guess I will do it for them.
    11-19-09 06:49 PM
    Ever since I purchased the Incipio Case I've never encountered a problem that ever put my devices screen in jeopardy. I've got another case from the Mall that I really like but the Incipio Case is by far the best I've owned ever since getting my Storm.
    11-19-09 06:54 PM
    So I'm not sure if it was the screen that cracked or what but over time from typing on my storm it was making little popping noises and eventually when I pressed it looked like something was shooting across the screen. I'm not real tech savvy so I don't know exactly what it was but that was on my second storm, and my third is starting that as well.
    11-19-09 09:17 PM
    Bump to keep poll alive.

11-20-09 08:15 AM
    I've dropped mine 3 times. Wish for me is doing really good. The 1st time it had no case. The second it had a cheap rubber case from vow. And the third time it had the}defender case from otterbox. No scratches at all. On the screen or phone. Though I did go to beach for my wedding and it got sand around the buttons and scree. It then stopped workin. But after 3 days ofshaking and blowing with the batt. Cover off I finally got it all out.

11-20-09 08:40 AM
    No, I take care of my baby. And from what I can tell with my amount of usage and my firends who have storms these phones hol dup quite nice.
    11-20-09 09:23 AM
    this is my 2nd storm (camera was all messed up on the first so i went to the store, the tech tried it and just handed me a box w/ a new storm.. anywho), i've dropped both prob like 3x a phone (1 drop i had the silicon case, the others no case [i dont like those silicon cases... they make the phone stick to the inside of your pocket and make it annoying to get the phone out] and all i've gotten is some slight scratches on the phone itself, and 1 really small scratch on the screen, but no crack.
    Last edited by MattD; 11-20-09 at 09:41 AM.
    11-20-09 09:39 AM
    Ever since I purchased the Incipio Case I've never encountered a problem that ever put my devices screen in jeopardy. I've got another case from the Mall that I really like but the Incipio Case is by far the best I've owned ever since getting my Storm.
    True statement right there, as I have the same case on my S1
    11-20-09 09:43 AM
    Getting some great results folks! Keep it up. And tell other S1 S2 owners about these polls. I am starting to get a decent sized sampling.

EDIT:
    For anyone who is curious, here is the link to the combined poll results

Screen durability S1 vs S2 poll results
    Last edited by adambigge; 11-20-09 at 11:59 AM.
    11-20-09 11:30 AM
    I have dropped it several times naked (the Storm not me) and never had the screen crack.
    11-20-09 01:17 PM
    I have dropped it several times naked (the Storm not me) and never had the screen crack.
    Lol, thank you for the clarification!

Keep up the participation, spread the word!
    11-20-09 02:50 PM
    No never cracked the screen and throw my phone and drop it everywhere haha.

11-20-09 03:26 PM
    Final bump. Thanks for your help everyone!

11-20-09 10:01 PM
    Nope, I dropped it a few times, some scratches that were taken care of but never cracked.
    11-20-09 11:19 PM
    I have dropped mine a few times with a case and no screen breakage. I have it in a silicone or incipio case.

11-21-09 06:42 AM
    I dropped mine both in and out of a case and had no damages on the screen at all.
    11-21-09 09:37 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD