I just wanted to share a little thought...back on Nov. 15, I decided to pre-order the storm from BB. I know, some people would say that I'm nuts and I should have gotten it from a Verizon store...true...but...when i bought it from BB, I also purchased their "Black Tie Warranty", for $9.99 a month. Why, because if the phone stops working or malfuctions, or even gets scratched or falls on the floor, BB will replace it with a brand new unit! I know $9.99 a month is alot, but after having about six storms, its well worth it! The verizon store or tech support will not being sending out new phones any more, after jan. 15. So, if you drop it, you won't get a "new" replacement in the box, plus you'd probably have to pay for it! With BB, I get a new in the box! The only time they do not replace the phone with a brand new one is if I get it wet or it gets stolen! I thought that would be worth it! I just thought I would share this experience with you guys!
    01-13-09 08:33 AM
    Now I wish I had done that. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

How did you buy it from BB?
    01-13-09 08:40 AM
    I bought it from BB too but I ended up going with Verizon's warranty because it was cheaper and it covers anything and everything.
    01-13-09 08:42 AM
    Now I wish I had done that. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

How did you buy it from BB?
    The same way you bought it from verizon. Theres nothing different. The phone techinically comes from verizon; just that BB gives you the same warranty (1yr) from the maufacturer, but they also give you option of the "black tie".
    01-13-09 08:51 AM
    Verizion's total equipment coverage warranty $4.99 BB is rooking you for $9.99.

It's the same warranty son!
    01-13-09 08:56 AM
    Best Buy insurance does cover lost, stolen or phones damaged by liquids....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/bes...phones-121320/
    01-13-09 09:02 AM
    I got my storm from best buy with the optional insurance. I love their customer service. I am on my second storm. I exchanged it for a screen click issue and they
    Y gave me no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 09:07 AM
    My bad, Best Buy does NOT cover lost, stolen or phones damaged by liquid.

Best buy phones
    01-13-09 09:13 AM
    I dunno, $10 a month is awfully expensive. How are you going through phones so quickly? Perhaps a ruggedized phone is more up your alley?
    01-13-09 09:20 AM
    Verizion's total equipment coverage warranty $4.99 BB is rooking you for $9.99.

It's the same warranty son!
    I'm not getting rooked. Your "total equipment plan" is through ASURION INSURANCE. If verizon determines that the handset is defective, then you must file a claim to Asurion. Once the claim is filed, then you will get your replacement handset, or should I say "REFURBISHED", in two or three days. With BB plan, you get a "NEW", in the box, handset that same day. Its not same...check your policy.
    01-13-09 09:23 AM
    thanks for sharing that information. My husband and I purchased our blackberries from best buy and they gave him a new phone after it stopped working. they checked for water damages and took out a brand new from drawer where the new phones are located and reprogrammed it. No questions asked.
    01-13-09 09:23 AM
    My bad, Best Buy does NOT cover lost, stolen or phones damaged by liquid.

Best buy phones
    We know this...the point I was trying to make was...that with BB, you get a N E W P H O N E, not a R E F U R B I S H E D one. No one covers from lost, stolen, or damged liquids. How many people lose there phone...maybe 30%. How many people have there phone stolen, may be 10%. How many people have device problems and or drop it, and gets scratched, 60%. All I was saying was, BB gives a good protection plan, in my opinion, just better that verizons Asurion.
    01-13-09 09:27 AM
    thanks for sharing that information. My husband and I purchased our blackberries from best buy and they gave him a new phone after it stopped working. they checked for water damages and took out a brand new from drawer where the new phones are located and reprogrammed it. No questions asked.
    Thank you!
    01-13-09 09:28 AM
    If you think you will get a brand new phone from BestBuy every time, you are mistaken. As someone who has used (and manipulated) the BB service plans for years, let me tell you how it works. If they can repair your phone, they will, and if they have a refurbished in stock, you will get it. Everytime. Here is what the fine print says. I got this directly from the Best Buy web site:

If we determine in our sole discretion, that your
    product cannot be repaired, we will replace it
    with a product of like kind and quality.

In other words, "used for used".

Good luck.
    01-13-09 09:45 AM
    Wow, that throws a kink in the TC's plans.
    01-13-09 09:47 AM
    VZW covers for lost, stolen and water damage...
    01-13-09 09:47 AM
    If you think you will get a brand new phone from BestBuy every time, you are mistaken. As someone who has used (and manipulated) the BB service plans for years, let me tell you how it works. If they can repair your phone, they will, and if they have a refurbished in stock, you will get it. Everytime. Here is what the fine print says. I got this directly from the Best Buy web site:

If we determine in our sole discretion, that your
    product cannot be repaired, we will replace it
    with a product of like kind and quality.

In other words, "used for used".

Good luck.
    Well I've returned 6 there and they check the phone for the problem that I told them it had. Then they go in the drawer and get a new one. Never had a refurbished one, sorry.
    01-13-09 09:54 AM
    VZ insurance plan is better and cheaper... Good luck getting your 7th free "new" Storm with BB when you spill coffee on it or otherwise get it wet.

You seem to be hypersensitive if you have had six Storms in a 2 month window and returned them all for "problems". Maybe you need a different phone because you may be the one with the problem.
    Last edited by vtbert3; 01-13-09 at 10:02 AM.
    01-13-09 09:58 AM
    This is why kids shouldn't own phones.
    01-13-09 10:00 AM
    VZW insurance does cover lost, stolen and water damage..
    01-13-09 10:02 AM
    LOL at the OP... you don't think VZW would've given you new phones right now... There are NO REFURBISHED PHONES YET for the storm! They are all NEW phones... it will be a few months before Refurbs will be available. VZW insurance allows you to get a replacement in store if it is not lost/stolen only catch is that they have it in stock. If you get it stolen/lost you can still get one, you just have to order it through Asurion. Like others have said, BestBuy will do what is stated in their disclaimer... try and fix your phone, if they can't you'll get a new phone until they receive refurbs, just like VZW will do.

IMO VZW TEC > BB black tie
    01-13-09 10:06 AM
    W00t! Give it up for BB owners!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 10:12 AM
    Yeah but the OP got a spyware sweeper and norton AV discount from Geek Squad........

I hope someone gets it.
    01-13-09 10:16 AM
    Well I've returned 6 there and they check the phone for the problem that I told them it had. Then they go in the drawer and get a new one. Never had a refurbished one, sorry.
    The bottom line is that if you actually have returned 5 phones, then what they used was your 30 day money back guarantee, not the black tie plan. Sorry to burst your bubble, but someone has to do it and it's better to get it done here than standing in line at BB with your precious Storm in hand and no where else to go.

And as I said, good luck to you, because if you have returned 5 phones already, then you are definitely on the department manager's radar, and it's only a matter of time until you are cut off. Yes, there is a provision in the fine print for that too.

I was actually in my local BB last night and I overheard one of the BBM reps telling a prospective Storm buyer to wait because the phone was released too early and they were getting a lot of returns. So probably the only reason they are being as lenient on you as you say they have been is due to the fact that they know the phone has problems.

Going forward, I would approach the situation very carefully if I were you.

Take if from someone who is older, wiser and has the electronics to prove it.
    01-13-09 10:18 AM
    surprised no one has mentioned this- The big difference, in my opinion, between the two "insurance plans" is that Best Buy does not have a deductible. With Asurion, you have a $50 or $100 deductible. Best buy does not have a deductible. However, it is my understanding that both insurance policies cover lost, stolen, and damaged phones.
    01-13-09 10:29 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD