So this will be the first time I fly with a blackberry. I have the Storm 9530, to use it while in the air would I just turn the connections off? Or is there something else I need to do?

I know it is a stupid question, but I have only had this phone for 3 months, and it is my first blackberry.

Thanks in advance
    02-17-09 08:12 PM
    Yep just turn off the connections and you're good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 08:15 PM
    i had a flight attendant tell me to put it in airplane mode last week,could not find it so i shut it down.
    Nope, you're right. Just turn off the radios. Should be at the bottom of your app menu called "Manage Connections". Safe flight.
    I think they tell you to turn off all electronics when taking off and landing. And no need for internet as there's no wifi on the storm and I doubt you'll get 3g while in the air.

02-17-09 08:17 PM
    i just flew yesterday with it and all you have to do is turn the connections off and it will be just fine on the plane. i listened to music and watched a couple movies and it was nice
    02-17-09 08:17 PM
    I never thought I could watch a movie on a small screen but it was nice. They make you turn it off when they take off and land but that is it. I put some of my tivo recordings on the BB and watched them. It passed the time great.
    02-17-09 08:21 PM
    I think they tell you to turn off all electronics when taking off and landing. And no need for internet as there's no wifi on the storm and I doubt you'll get 3g while in the air.

two other friends and myself got 1XEV the entire flight, i flew to boise, one friend flew to L.A. and another flew somewhere in AZ. BBM and YOUTUBE the entire flight, son!

but if you want to turn off the connections, like everyone else says "manage connections" is the way to go.
    02-18-09 12:04 PM
    I flew this past weekend and just turned off the connection in Manage Connections when I wanted it off. And re: AZ, I flew to and from Phoenix and tested it out both ways... it took 30 min to send a text message and I definitely didn't have 1XEV, so who knows. I flew across the country from DC to AZ.
    02-18-09 12:08 PM
    Just an FYI using a cellular device in flight is a violation of FAA rules. By cellular device they mean the radio side of the device, shut off all connections and now you have an electronic device.
    02-18-09 12:12 PM
    Just an FYI using a cellular device in flight is a violation of FAA rules. By cellular device they mean the radio side of the device, shut off all connections and now you have an electronic device.
    oh, wow, i bet no one ever knew that...
    02-18-09 01:18 PM
    airplane cop...
    02-18-09 02:17 PM
    But if your in Canada, and the FAA dosn't apply here, then......well there is pesky transport Canada rules to deal with, though they may change soon Canada unconvinced about airborne cell phone use-29/04/2008-Flight International
    besides, they are trying to install wi/fi on aircraft, now there is a double standard
    Last edited by Falling; 02-18-09 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typos
    02-18-09 02:46 PM
    Even though it is against FAA regulations, there is no possible way that cell phone use will endanger an airplane in any way. That said, rules are rules. Be good.

Last week I turned on my Storm 45 seconds before touching down, and the woman next to me started screaming, saying that I was going to cause the airplane to crash. She tattled on me to the flight attendant and said she would report me to the TSA, yelling that I "wouldn't get away with it." Now I've been banned from air travel.

Oh wait, nope, she tattled but nothing happened.

Until they lift the ban on cell phones in flight (I've heard a rumor that may come...eventually), I wouldn't do it just to avoid upsetting people on the flight (even if they are crazy).
    Last edited by GTI4ever; 02-18-09 at 02:52 PM.
    02-18-09 02:46 PM
    I've heard some good stories about people using their Storm's on flights. Great results.. Speaks volumes about Verizon's coverage.

02-18-09 03:14 PM
    I've heard some good stories about people using their Storm's on flights. Great results.. Speaks volumes about Verizon's coverage.

02-18-09 03:15 PM
    Same that everyone has posted. Just got back from NM and just made sure the radio was off.
    02-18-09 03:21 PM
    Now I've been banned from air travel.
    LOL that's awesome.
    02-18-09 03:27 PM
    i think its funny that you can get wireless coverage so far up in the air above all of the thousands of towers you are passing by, and i can't even get verizon coverage in my house. I lost 23 phone calls in one day. Supposedly I am "under the tower" meaning the signal is like an umbrella and goes right over my house.

Congrats on getting service on the plane though.
    02-18-09 03:33 PM
    I want to know if my planes just flew very high because we were going such a long distance because I didn't experience what many people say re: signal.
    02-18-09 03:38 PM
    Even though it is against FAA regulations, there is no possible way that cell phone use will endanger an airplane in any way. That said, rules are rules. Be good.
    Your wrong there dude. Unless your a clandestine avionics engineer, you don't have any way of knowing what impact there could be on any specific aircraft.

Keep in mind that many of the aircraft that are flying today are using systems that were designed, and sometimes manufactured, in the late 70's and 80's. There was wasn't as good of an understanding of how wireless technology would impact these systems, never mind how 200 people with wireless devices in close proximity would impact the systems.

As a case in point, for "fun", I used to take my 1993 iDen Nextel Phone and sit it against a colleagues computer, PTT to it, and his workstation would reboot. Yes, it was an old and flaky workstation, but so might be the computer under your aircraft seat or in the wall next to you.

I would guess that new planes and new phones are probably not much of an issue. But guessing isn't the same as knowing. In any case you want to turn off your device in case there might be an air marshal sitting near you in the aircraft, I hear that they don't take kindly to upsetting the flight crew or other passengers.

It was also my understanding that there are two agencies that prohibit cell use in the air. FAA is one, FCC is another. The FCC believed that parts of our wireless system wouldn't like it when a device connect to multiple points with similar signal strength. They thought that thousands of devices doing this could cause availability problems. They had a regulation prohibiting device usage on commercial passenger aircraft. I had read that they were thinking about removing the restrictions at some point. It may have already been relaxed for the trials that are running, maybe its even eliminated by now?
    02-18-09 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD