Love the curve, but what is the advantage to a sim card on the Storm?

Got my first BB (used curve) last month and will be getting the Storm (lots of internet for me) on VZW when it comes out.

Also, after backing up my Curve, will I be able to restore all my stuff, contacts, music, to the Storm? (which will have a new OS)
    Last edited by hal1; 08-28-08 at 09:22 AM.
    08-27-08 11:51 PM
    Global use outside the us........thats the purpose of the sim card. Restore should not be a problem
    08-28-08 08:04 AM
    The other advantage of a SIM card is being able to pop it out of one phone and into another and be good to go.
    08-28-08 11:21 AM
    Sweet that this is going to be a global phone.
    08-28-08 11:48 AM
    does is the storm from verizon going to be unlocked? I mean the primary wireless will be Verizon, but does that mean i could put my sim from tmo in and it will work, so i could have two phones in one sorta.
    08-28-08 03:49 PM
    does is the storm from verizon going to be unlocked? I mean the primary wireless will be Verizon, but does that mean i could put my sim from tmo in and it will work, so i could have two phones in one sorta.
    No. This has been stated many times. For any CDMA device on Verizon that has dual frequency(i.e. the 8830WE, CDMA/GSM) the ONLY part of the phone that can be used in the US is the CDMA part. The GSM frequency is used outside of the US, period.
    08-28-08 04:01 PM
    No. This has been stated many times. For any CDMA device on Verizon that has dual frequency(i.e. the 8830WE, CDMA/GSM) the ONLY part of the phone that can be used in the US is the CDMA part. The GSM frequency is used outside of the US, period.
    thanks only if they exclude the US frequencies, which is still up in the air.
    08-28-08 11:23 PM
    The other advantage of a SIM card is being able to pop it out of one phone and into another and be good to go.
    Exactly
    08-28-08 11:49 PM
    I read about "unlocked GSM" so while VZW may exclude the US frequencies, will I be able to buy a SIM in Europe or have to use VZW service for the GSM side while outside the country.
    09-23-08 07:10 PM
    I read about "unlocked GSM" so while VZW may exclude the US frequencies, will I be able to buy a SIM in Europe or have to use VZW service for the GSM side while outside the country.
    You'll have to look it up, but I've heard of people with the 8830 World Phone getting Verizon to unlock the GSM for international travel using a non-Verizon GSM card
    09-23-08 07:12 PM
    The 9530 is a hybrid device. Its nothing like the 8330. The 9530 has quad band GSM AND supports European 2100MHz...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 07:17 PM
    the only advantage to a sim card is the ease of using stolen equipment! >8-P
    09-23-08 07:43 PM
    the only advantage to a sim card is the ease of using stolen equipment! >8-P
    I'm sure that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but one of the real advantages of a sim is what's already been stated. You can take it from one phone and pop it into another without having to go through your carrier. It's great to have an old backup phone around and be able to use it the minute a problem arises on your primary phone.
    09-23-08 07:50 PM
    I'm sure that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but one of the real advantages of a sim is what's already been stated. You can take it from one phone and pop it into another without having to go through your carrier. It's great to have an old backup phone around and be able to use it the minute a problem arises on your primary phone.
    it was. i recognise that advantage although i simply don't find sim cards as secure as cdma. i think its factually less secure now that i think about it i seem to remember reading that.
    09-23-08 07:56 PM
    The 9530 is a hybrid device. Its nothing like the 8330. The 9530 has quad band GSM AND supports European 2100MHz...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I am sure it may have been answered in another thread, but I can't seem to find it.

I am traveling to Italy very shortly for two months and am HOPING to have the STORM before I go. I would love to be able to get a GoSIM while over there and take advantage of the lower rates. Is this phone going to be unlocked for third party SIMs? Or will we have to get in contact with VZW, pay full price, and have them unlock it for us?

Thanks
    Last edited by lowfire; 10-01-08 at 06:49 PM.
    10-01-08 06:45 PM
    I am sure it may have been answered in another thread, but I can't seem to find it.

I am traveling to Italy very shortly for two months and am HOPING to have the STORM before I go. I would love to be able to get a GoSIM while over there and take advantage of the lower rates. Is this phone going to be unlocked for third party SIMs? Or will we have to get in contact with VZW, pay full price, and have them unlock it for us?

Thanks
    You don't need to pay anything extra with the 8830 World Phone but you do need to call Verizon for the unlock code
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...k-forum-31590/
    10-01-08 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD