Okay - this is a weird one. I did some searching and haven't seen anything else like this. This has happened repeatedly. If my Storm is on and sitting near my computer (MacBook), my computer will load the internet slowly and will load mobile sites if the option is available (for example, ESPN). It seems that the Storm is overtaking my computer's wi-fi connection, and my computer loads websites as if it was a mobile device. At least, websites recognize it as such. In effect, it is tethering itself to my computer. Has anyone else experienced this? It is frustrating mostly because it is a way slower connection than my Wi-Fi and I don't want to look at mobile sites on my computer. It seems to present all kinds of potential problems as well. What do you guys think?
    01-26-09 03:55 PM
    I should add that the only remedy I have found is to disable my connections on the Storm while I am using my Wi-Fi.
    01-26-09 03:56 PM
    So you thing the laptop is connecting via bluetooth and using the phone as a modem?
    01-26-09 03:58 PM
    Wow ... well ... I dont want you to get the impression that your post is being ignored but I dont think many have messed with the storm and macbooks ... at least I havent
    01-26-09 04:00 PM
    did you sync bookmarks from the storm? Check yoru synced bookmarks...
    01-26-09 04:10 PM
    I should add that the only remedy I have found is to disable my connections on the Storm while I am using my Wi-Fi.
    So the Storm doesn't use yoru WiFi? Not possible...
    01-26-09 04:10 PM
    no, i mean so my computer isnt affected by my storms 3g connection. i have not synced bookmarks. im not sure what is going on, to the poster who referenced bluetooth. all i can say is if my phone is on and next to my computer, my computer will sometimes - not always - load slowly and always mobile sites, where available. when i turn the phone off, this stops.
    01-26-09 04:57 PM
    no, i mean so my computer isnt affected by my storms 3g connection. i have not synced bookmarks. im not sure what is going on, to the poster who referenced bluetooth. all i can say is if my phone is on and next to my computer, my computer will sometimes - not always - load slowly and always mobile sites, where available. when i turn the phone off, this stops.
    GREMLINS...
    01-26-09 05:00 PM
    GREMLINS...
    I know that didn't help, but it was pretty damn funny!
    01-26-09 05:04 PM
    I know that didn't help, but it was pretty damn funny!
    I know it didn't help...
    But, pretty much impossible for his Storm to be effecting his computers browser...
    01-26-09 05:05 PM
    that's my best guess too. just figured i'd see if anyone else ran into this odd problem
    01-26-09 05:06 PM
    I know it didn't help...
    But, pretty much impossible for his Storm to be effecting his computers browser...
    yeah, i know, which is why i'm posting, b/c its totally bizarre. i know there are a few scripts oyu can use in os x to tether phones wirelessly... and i've tethered wirelessly to a jailbroken iphone before as well. but, of course, never accidentally!
    01-26-09 05:11 PM
    yeah, i know, which is why i'm posting, b/c its totally bizarre. i know there are a few scripts oyu can use in os x to tether phones wirelessly... and i've tethered wirelessly to a jailbroken iphone before as well. but, of course, never accidentally!
    Ya... MAc dude here...
    Pretty much impossible for that to happen if yo never set up the blewteef to connect to the phone...
    ESP. with bluetooth OFF
    01-26-09 05:13 PM
    thanks for your help, all.
    Last edited by bslax28; 07-16-11 at 01:31 PM.
    01-26-09 05:17 PM
    well, you're telling me it's impossible while i'm watching it happen. you can just say you don't know. thanks for your help, all.
    Well personally.. I'm thinking user error myself...
    But hey.. your the one with the 'tude about it....
    01-26-09 05:20 PM
    well, you're telling me it's impossible while i'm watching it happen. you can just say you don't know. thanks for your help, all.
    He has a point. With Bluetooth off, there is no way... Unless your storm has some magical features that the rest of ours dont. Plus you need the VZW Access Manager to tether...
    01-26-09 05:37 PM
    bluetooth was on for both devices... which i guess makes it less impossible. oh well. figured i'd give it a shot.
    01-26-09 05:47 PM
    Tethering is not supported with a mac anyway...ive heard of people making it work with bluetooth....but that is some craziness...good luck
    01-26-09 06:19 PM
    On your mac, go to Who am I?

If the page says you're connecting via RIM, then your mac is somehow magically using your BB to connect. I highly doubt this is happening.
    01-26-09 06:30 PM
    You can connect your computer to your storm via bluetooth and do dial up.

What does your phone screen show when this is happening. Hit the green call button when this happens and see if it shows anything.
    01-26-09 06:56 PM
    Poof, its magic.

Please share your answer when you figure it out. I can't get my Mac to connect via ethernet right now, let alone the Storm.
    01-26-09 07:24 PM
    How is this "impossible"? both the phone and macbook have bluetooth built in, so the hardware to do this is already there.
    Now if you tell me that bluetooth is disabled on both devices, then yeah that is pretty weird.

Out of curiosity, do you get the "data arrows" on the storm when this happens? Also, do you see any strange entries in the storm's browser history?
    01-26-09 08:50 PM
    How is this "impossible"? both the phone and macbook have bluetooth built in, so the hardware to do this is already there.
    Now if you tell me that bluetooth is disabled on both devices, then yeah that is pretty weird.

Out of curiosity, do you get the "data arrows" on the storm when this happens? Also, do you see any strange entries in the storm's browser history?
    Yes, I do see the data arrows when this happens, no, there are no strange things in the history. I am waiting until this happens again to take a screen shot of my comp and a picture of my phone while it is happening, plus a screen shot of that website "who am i" that someone posted earlier. I'll let you guys know.

And, to the poster who I had 'tude to, sorry man, i was just getting frustrated by this. It's been so difficult to get my storm and macbook to like each other, and htis is just a bizarre icing on the cake.
    01-27-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD