Hello folks,

I have the 9530 Storm. Just got it, and just got a computer upgrade that allows me to run x64 Vista.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with VZW & RIM, and neither of them could tell me why my phone is not recognized in the DTM, or the Verizon Access Manager. (BTW this all works fine on my 32bit XP Laptop)

My phone is set to be mass storage.

I installed the drivers from the original cds. The 1st Time.
    NO GO

I pulled the battery out of my phone. It did a reboot.
    NO GO

I installed the newest driver from the web via flash drive. The 2nd Time
    1. VZAM software (tethered modem)
    2. RIM USB Drivers
    3. DTM 4.7 (no media manager)
    NO GO

I finally found x64 drivers for my USB NIC Stick. (aside ... Linksys it is taking you too damn long to come up with x64 drivers for you ****e!)

I updated x64 Vista Ultimate (50+ items, close to 400MB)
    NO GO

I uninstalled 1,2,3 above. Then installed them again. (Yes I wiped the registry)
    NO GO

Multiple reboots through the processes. Please help if you can. Also let me know what specs you need in addition to those I have provided

PEACE.
    03-20-09 10:06 PM
    try running dtm as administrator.
    03-20-09 10:15 PM
    Running DM, Media Sync, and VZ Access Manage on Vista x64 with no problems. DM from web and VZAM from CD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 10:19 PM
    Hello folks,

I have the 9530 Storm. Just got it, and just got a computer upgrade that allows me to run x64 Vista.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with VZW & RIM, and neither of them could tell me why my phone is not recognized in the DTM, or the Verizon Access Manager. (BTW this all works fine on my 32bit XP Laptop)

My phone is set to be mass storage.

I installed the drivers from the original cds. The 1st Time.
    NO GO

I pulled the battery out of my phone. It did a reboot.
    NO GO

I installed the newest driver from the web via flash drive. The 2nd Time
    1. VZAM software (tethered modem)
    2. RIM USB Drivers
    3. DTM 4.7 (no media manager)
    NO GO

I finally found x64 drivers for my USB NIC Stick. (aside ... Linksys it is taking you too damn long to come up with x64 drivers for you ****e!)

I updated x64 Vista Ultimate (50+ items, close to 400MB)
    NO GO

I uninstalled 1,2,3 above. Then installed them again. (Yes I wiped the registry)
    NO GO

Multiple reboots through the processes. Please help if you can. Also let me know what specs you need in addition to those I have provided

PEACE.
    Dont bother .... i've been trying for 3 month... just using my XP... runs perfect. VISTA and Windows 7 they dont work well for OS updates.
    03-20-09 10:20 PM
    Using Vista 64 with no problems. Only JL_commander doesn't work. Used CrackMem instead

03-20-09 10:55 PM
    Running Vista Ultimate x64 long before installing DM. I've experienced no problems whatsoever. Everything works as it should, even though DM is a 32bit app. Don't use VZAM, as for the rest... my initial install of DM (both of them, e.g., Desktop Manager & Device Manager) and the BB USB Drivers was actually performed prior to receiving my Storm. Did this to ensure that the software would work on my system(s) before shelling out the dough for the Storm (not all x32 apps can adequetely operate on x64 systems, plus I was hoping to get a grasp on the software first... that didn't work out so well since most of it is "disabled" until you plug the BB in). Everything installed just fine. Also upgraded with no problems as well (initial install was with .65).

Now that you've got Vista Ultimate up to date, you may try uninstalling the BB software, clean up the registry (I always feel the need to tell people to use extreme caution when doing this manually, one little typo and you're screwed, most people are better off using a known Reg cleaner for this purpose unless you know what you're doing & getting into). Do at least a couple reboots after (Vista is slightly better than XP at cleaning up after uninstalling software, even though many apps leave tracks hidden around intentionally), and try re-installing again.
    03-20-09 11:28 PM
    Hey folks,

Thanks for your input.

Everyone is saying run as Admin. I understand the vista does this admin crap differently, but I am the only user, on a fresh install of vista. Am I not the Admin? I will choose the option from the menu anyway.

Thanks for the registry editing caution. My ability to hack a registry was what got me a job at a local store many many moons ago. Solved the problem of wiping the customers drive with win98, and losing all of their data when they didn't want to front for a burner (or other reasons).

I updated again last night, apparently there were about 30 updates that I missed.

I will keep you all updated.

Thanks again.

PEACE
    03-21-09 02:36 PM
    Yes, you are the admin, but you are not the admin. Vista still requires the admin to make admin decisions by doing the following: Right click, run as administrator.

I use Vista Ultimate x64 and it works just fine. Not sure why you're having an issue.
    03-21-09 03:12 PM
    You can also click the start button and type cmd and hit enter and this will run as administrator also you could try to turn off uac do a search to find out how but I am running all my current bb stuff on vista 64 both at home and at work with no problems also are you getting any errors in your windows event logs.

03-21-09 04:21 PM
    x64 shouldn't change a thing.
    03-21-09 04:28 PM
    to turn off uac do this
    click start,Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts/Turn User Account Control On or Off
    03-21-09 04:47 PM
    Dont bother .... i've been trying for 3 month... just using my XP... runs perfect. VISTA and Windows 7 they dont work well for OS updates.
    DTM 4.7 works with Vista 64. If you can't get it to work, ask for help or start trying different things than what you're doing. I have Ultimate 64 and I have zero problems getting mine to work. Others have also gotten Windows 7 to work. There are threads about this, so don't say it doesn't work just because it doesn't work for you.

Using Vista 64 with no problems. Only JL_commander doesn't work. Used CrackMem instead

Hey Squeegee,

Here is a link with the JL_CMDR for Vista 64 bit. I got it to work fine on my machine following the steps that shaffer posted in his thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...7/#post1556639
    03-21-09 04:53 PM
    I use vista 64 just fine. Everything works for me.

03-21-09 04:55 PM
    Don't know if this helps but it worked for me. I had to disable mass storage mode to get my phone to work in Vista. As for XP I didn't have to. Hope this helps!
    03-21-09 05:03 PM
    Just for the record, I have x64 Home Premium and it runs just fine . I would say the issue does not lie with Microsoft but with the manufacturer of the computer. RIM and Microsoft are both solid companies.
    03-21-09 05:33 PM
    Hey All,

Okay, so still no joy.

I have had UAC off since I installed Vista.

My computer is custom built. i.e. by me. What would make you think that it was a manufacturer issue? My Storm won't install because my machine is made by brand X?

Please be a bit more constructive. I am not here for anything but to get to the bottom of my issue, which is that my Storm won't connect to the DTM in Vista x64.

The only thing I am 'Joe noob' about is the phone.

Is there a service that needs to be running for the phone, or does that only happen when the DTM is executed?

I guess the only thing that needs mentioning now, unless you all want sys specs, is that I have the Storm plugged into a USB hub, and not directly into the machine. The hub has an exterior power supply, if that means anything.

PEACE
    04-09-09 02:43 PM
    IBOOMER, I too am running Vista Ultimate x64. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Turns out I needed to go dl the latest VZM and DTM from Verizon and Blackberry. Hope this helps!

HMMM looks like you already tried to do dl latest software. Perhaps try to plug in the Storm directly to a USB port on your machine instead of a hub?
    Last edited by kiddreamr; 04-09-09 at 02:55 PM.
    04-09-09 02:50 PM
    Nothing new to input, just want to say I use Vista x64 with DM 4.7 and my Nov 21st Storm. No problems whatsoever. Best course of action is to start fresh, uninstalling DM and the usb drivers, then start over. You might want to try one of the Microsoft.Public newsgroups if you don't get it straightened out pretty soon, though it's kind of a crapshoot there.

--bg
    04-09-09 02:58 PM
    Running Vista x64 Enterprise. I have EV-DO integrated into this machine and it runs without a problem at all. Also use this as my DM connection for the Storm. The only thing you need to do is 1) verify that you have the very latest versions of the x64 drivers from Verizon, 2)make sure you right click on the installation files for the USB and DM and choose 'Run as Administrator' when you install, and 3) copy the icon or make a short-cut to DM on the desktop and right-click, properties, advanced and toggle the check box for 'Run as Administrator'. That way, it will always run will full permissions, etc.

BTW, for those of you interested, this works perfectly well for both the x86 and the x64 versions of Windows 7. If you do it this way, upgrades work perfectly also. I have a Lenovo S10 with 2GB RAM, a 128GB SSD running Windows 7 where I tether the Storm while I travel and it works great! 8 hours of battery with the 6-cell!
    04-09-09 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD