Well I haven't tested it on all four bands - but I am traveling in Bosnia & Herzegovina and using my Storm on a Verizon Global Email plan. It's running on a 900 mHz / 1800 mHz GSM frequency and I'm getting good speeds on EDGE. The country is getting Erikson branded 3G soon, but not yet. I tested it on Vodafone Germany 3G network and it was comparable to 1X EV on Verizon.

APosted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mudpud; 01-20-09 at 12:11 PM.
    01-20-09 11:30 AM
    Very nice information to know. Always wondered. Thanks buddy.
    01-20-09 11:33 AM
    I am in Hanover, Germany for a few days and mine is working great. Good call quality, good internet speed and a smart international dialing phone. I just pick a contact from my address book and it automatically dials just as in America. Can't tell if the battery life is any better yet.
    01-20-09 12:20 PM
    Well I haven't tested it on all four bands - but I am traveling in Bosnia & Herzegovina and using my Storm on a Verizon Global Email plan. It's running on a 900 mHz / 1800 mHz GSM frequency and I'm getting good speeds on EDGE. The country is getting Erikson branded 3G soon, but not yet. I tested it on Vodafone Germany 3G network and it was comparable to 1X EV on Verizon.

I have used the phone on all bands of the GSM and works great but just EDGE and GPRS. I just need to try the UMTS/HSPA 2100Mhz.
    I also have the 8830 from Sprint which is a "World Phone" but its only CDMA and Dual-band 900/1800 Mhz GSM/GPRS networks and some countries use the 850/1900 Mhz
    Last edited by esnetsc; 01-20-09 at 01:15 PM.
    01-20-09 12:26 PM
    So for any of you guys that are on Verizon, how much exactly is it costing to use the phone overseas (for example in France)?

I'm a bit confused on the pricing.
    01-20-09 12:57 PM
    Kind of an odd thread title. Wouldn't the specs be enough to confirm that the phone truly had quad band? Rhetorical question.
    01-20-09 12:59 PM
    That's good news. I'm traveling to Montenegro in April, but I decided to get my phone unlocked anyway if the price per min is too high.
    01-20-09 12:59 PM
    So for any of you guys that are on Verizon, how much exactly is it costing to use the phone overseas (for example in France)?

I'm a bit confused on the pricing.
    Buy a local Sim Card and cost very cheap then Verizon's rate.
    Verizon was like $1.99 per minute, I got local sim card and paid $15 for like 300 minutes or $0.05 a minute within the country.
    01-20-09 01:07 PM
    There's a $3.99/mo plan you can add that keeps the per-minute rate at $0.99. Unfortunately, voice in France (and Germany, FWIW) doesn't get any cheaper than that unless you get the phone unlocked and purchase a local SIM card.

An additional $20/mo gets you global unlimited data for web and mail, but you can't tether.

I'm actually posting on my 9530 from Munich, Germany right now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 01-20-09 at 01:12 PM.
    01-20-09 01:09 PM

Great to know! that's pretty badass knowing wherever I go I have connection haha.
    01-20-09 01:10 PM
    There's a $3.99/mo plan you can add that keeps the per-minute rate at $0.99. Unfortunately, voice in France (and Germany, FWIW) doesn't get any cheaper than that unless you get the phone unlocked and purchase a local SIM card.

An additional $20/mo gets you global unlimited data for web and mail, but you can't tether.

I'm actually posting on my 9530 from Munich, Germany right now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    For Verizon I was told:
    $64.99 monthly access with a voice plan
    $69.99 monthly access for data only
    or less then 30 days they will do a prorate.

and for Sprint I was told:
    $30 or less then 30 days they will do a prorate.
    01-20-09 01:46 PM
    I was just in France, Hungary, Austria, Germany, and the Czech Republic over Christmas and New Year and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Just make sure to call Global Support before you leave.
    01-20-09 01:50 PM
    Buy a local Sim Card and cost very cheap then Verizon's rate.
    Verizon was like $1.99 per minute, I got local sim card and paid $15 for like 300 minutes or $0.05 a minute within the country.
    Ok so with this method do I just take my storm, remove the Verizon sim card and insert one from the area? And I'll get (just) minutes at the prices you said?

Sorry to keep asking but I just want to be sure before I screw myself over.
    01-20-09 04:47 PM
    Ok so with this method do I just take my storm, remove the Verizon sim card and insert one from the area? And I'll get (just) minutes at the prices you said?

Sorry to keep asking but I just want to be sure before I screw myself over.
    Yes, but the phone need to be unlocked. Each carrier will charge different rates but its better then international roaming when using verizon.
    01-20-09 07:19 PM
    Just to let you all know if you take your BB storm abroad and don't get a plan for international use they will still charge you for emails and texts that you don't receive.
    I took mine to Dubai then to Ireland and on to the UK i paid $17 for a 12 day upgrade and then used my UK sim card to make calls and looked at my emails and sms each evening.
    They will do the international service day by day I bought a 12 day package and it worked fine when i got home it didn't receive any emails they forgot to put me back in the system but a quick phone call sorted that out .
    as i have a few sim cards Europe is cheaper to use so i just keep a few of them at my parents house and use them there.
    I did make a few phone calls using the Verizon sim and had no problems phoning home (USA) or friends in the UK.

Mick
    01-20-09 10:51 PM
    Yes, but the phone need to be unlocked. Each carrier will charge different rates but its better then international roaming when using verizon.
    Hmm, lol, maybe I'm just better off buying a disposable/rechargable phone when I get there.
    01-21-09 07:29 PM

Did you think RIM & Verizon were lying when they released the specs on the Storm??
    01-21-09 07:32 PM
    Did you think RIM & Verizon were lying when they released the specs on the Storm??
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    01-21-09 07:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD