Hello everyone:

I am in Frankfurt, Germany using a 9350 w. .103 OS on Verizon.

I cannot seem to get email to work but I am able to SMS.

Data services: On
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: GSM/UMTS
    Network Mode: 3G & 2G

I am connected to the Vodafone network and the 3g icon is present in the upper right hand corner of the home screen.

Is there something I am not doing correctly? It's a business account so it's possible the service has not been activated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    02-20-09 01:16 AM
    Hello everyone:

I am in Frankfurt, Germany using a 9350 w. .103 OS on Verizon.

I cannot seem to get email to work but I am able to SMS.

Data services: On
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: GSM/UMTS
    Network Mode: 3G & 2G

I am connected to the Vodafone network and the 3g icon is present in the upper right hand corner of the home screen.

Is there something I am not doing correctly? It's a business account so it's possible the service has not been activated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I was also in FRA this week roaming for the first time with the Storm. Worked for me, so I suspect this is an account problem. There is an international number for Verizon CS which allegedly has no associated air charges (I can't vouch for this): +1.908.559.4899.

Did you do the *228 (IIRC) thing before you left? When I called before I left, I had to do that to activate something, even though theoretically they set everything up when I added the plan in the store. The guy on the phone also claimed you should really do that every time before traveling international (YMMV).
    02-20-09 01:29 AM
    Make sure you call the global support and have them "activate" or something your SIM card. The call will be free. Once it is activated, you'll internet, mail, everything will function properly. I've been out of country for 2 months and mine works fine in both Europe and Asia.

Just remember your data rate wll go up to like $69 for global email/web service, but it is still unlimited usage
    02-20-09 03:51 AM
    Make sure you call the global support and have them "activate" or something your SIM card. The call will be free. Once it is activated, you'll internet, mail, everything will function properly. I've been out of country for 2 months and mine works fine in both Europe and Asia.

Just remember your data rate wll go up to like $69 for global email/web service, but it is still unlimited usage
    Going to Germany next week and called Verizon to activate sim. They said it already shows activated. I have the international calling plan since I call there a lot, not sure if that is why my sim was activated, or because I previously had one of the Verizon global phones.

The rep explained that everything should work, but that there are two data plans. One is the $69 global plan, which gives you unlimited access, the other is "pay per kb" plan, and I believe it was $0.02 per kb.

They will prorate the international plan, so what I did is activated it for the day I left, and I will call and cancel it when I get back. It essentailly costs about and extra $1.30 per day over the regular data plan, or the equivalent of 13 text only e-mails at 5kb, which according to them is the average size. For me this was a no-brainer, as I get entirely too many automated customer e-mails. And once you surf the web, $0.02 per kb will get expensive in a hurry.

Finally, the guy confirmed that it is always a good idea to do a *228 before you travel, as that updates what kind of towers the phone looks for, and they are adding towers all the time. He actually said that it was a good idea to do this periodically whether you leave the country or not.

Hope this helps.
    02-24-09 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD