Verizon is supposed to release the 4G network by 2010. If they do, are we going to get it for our storms, or are we going to have to upgrade to a newer phone?

Here is the link to the article.
    4G Network Launch Planned for 2010 by Verizon Wireless
    04-11-09 09:56 AM
    The current storm doesnt support LTE. Its a different frequency range, thus requiring a different physical radio.

In short, you will need a new phone to be on LTE.
    04-11-09 09:59 AM
    Okay. Is 4G gonna be alot faster than 3G or not?
    04-11-09 10:01 AM
    Okay. Is 4G gonna be alot faster than 3G or not?
    2g>3g>4g, is a progression, of course its going to be faster, and better.

its like the 2g iphone, it runs only on edge, and the 3g iphone runs on the 3g network. you'll need a 4g phone to use the power of the 4g network.

i cant wait til 2010
    04-11-09 10:06 AM
    I saw a Sprint commercial just the other day and it was saying it's the "nations first 4G carrier" or something to that affect. Don't know if they was saying they was already using/testing it in some areas or if they will have it first. I really don't pay attention to their commercials after parting ways with them.
    04-11-09 10:11 AM
    4G will probably start in limited markets so having a 4G capable phone right at launch will be pointless for most people except early adopters in those markets.
    04-11-09 10:12 AM
    I saw a Sprint commercial just the other day and it was saying it's the "nations first 4G carrier" or something to that affect. Don't know if they was saying they was already using/testing it in some areas or if they will have it first. I really don't pay attention to their commercials after parting ways with them.
    Everyone's definition of 4g is different. All it really means is it is that carrier's 4th generation of wireless signals. Verizon is going LTE. Sprint is going towards WiMAX technology, which is a very high frequency range. I suggest looking them on on the net if you want to know the specifcs of each.

As far as speeds go, it is going to depend on the backbone to the node you are being serviced by. Verizon has a great fiber optic backbone, so most users should see a vast improvement over the current 3g. Basically, if a carrier has a crappy network now, they are going to have a crappy network when they go to their 4g.
    Last edited by pricej636; 04-11-09 at 10:26 AM.
    04-11-09 10:21 AM
    I love how you buy the latest and greatest phone and service, then you walk out of the store and it's already old technology...Just got the 9530 3/15/09 and may have to upgrade too the new storm and G4. Crazy...
    04-11-09 10:32 AM
    I saw a Sprint commercial just the other day and it was saying it's the "nations first 4G carrier" or something to that affect. Don't know if they was saying they was already using/testing it in some areas or if they will have it first.
    Sprint's 4G service (based on wimax) has been publicly available in Baltimore since Sep/Oct 2008. I think their first 4G device was a cellular modem for laptops. According to their press release, they're planning on expanding the list in 2009 to Atlanta, Honolulu, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Portland, Fort Worth, and Seattle.

I love how you buy the latest and greatest phone and service, then you walk out of the store and it's already old technology...Just got the 9530 3/15/09 and may have to upgrade too the new storm and G4. Crazy...
    No one's forcing you to buy the latest and greatest. And if you're used to purchasing the latest and greatest, you should know by now the short "new" life of most cell phones.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 04-11-09 at 11:13 AM.
    04-11-09 11:10 AM
    It looks like Sprint is the only major player going WIMAX, it kind of surprised me that Verizon is going the same direction as most of the world with LTE.

Based on how long it took them to get a full EVDO REV A network running I wouldn't count on much of a 4G network or selection of phones before 2011 or 2012 from Verizon.
    04-11-09 11:49 AM
    It looks like Sprint is the only major player going WIMAX, it kind of surprised me that Verizon is going the same direction as most of the world with LTE.
    It has a lot to do with the partnership with Vodaphone.

Based on how long it took them to get a full EVDO REV A network running I wouldn't count on much of a 4G network or selection of phones before 2011 or 2012 from Verizon.
    From what I've heard, the Verizon 4G network is going up already in limited test markets and there is a huge push to get it up and running as fast as possible, so we will probably start seeing LTE capable phone before the end of the year. There are supposedly already a couple of Nokia handsets in development.
    04-11-09 12:45 PM
    Dont take what I said the wrong way, I love my storm. It's been the best phone I have had. I know the issues are with the os and not the phone. I just think they should work on correcting the soft ware issues before the talk of doing away with the storm.
    04-11-09 02:04 PM
    We are going to need new phones when this one hits.
    04-11-09 03:17 PM
    We are going to need new phones when this one hits.
    And by the time it's reasonable to do so (multiple markets, multiple phones) we'll all well have reached our upgrade dates.
    04-11-09 03:47 PM
    Verizon is supposedly going to be testing LTE(4G) in my market. Imagine how I feel.
    04-11-09 04:01 PM
    Verizon is supposedly going to be testing LTE(4G) in my market. Imagine how I feel.
    Indifferent?
    04-11-09 04:15 PM
    I bet the storm 2 is only going to be 3g. So when the 4g comes out and storm 3 comes out a year later after storm 2 comes out storm 2 users will be ********...

4g should be a good enough reason to hold on to your Storms
    04-11-09 04:22 PM
    Indifferent?
    For now, yeah.

But I was initially excited, and I probably will be again when it's up and running and they have devices out for it.

Makes sense that a market they were testing in would get it from initial launch, no?
    04-11-09 07:01 PM
    I bet the storm 2 is only going to be 3g. So when the 4g comes out and storm 3 comes out a year later after storm 2 comes out storm 2 users will be ********...

4g should be a good enough reason to hold on to your Storms

I've been thinking all along that the storm 2 is being designed to run on the 4g network. But I wonder if there will be a 2 tiered system system with one costing more than the other until full deployment.
    04-11-09 08:22 PM
    So with 4g will I need to do a battery pull 33% more often?
    04-11-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD