A Co-worker of my just came from the Verizon Store. One of those Experience Store where they are selling the FIOS stuff too. He was going to get a Storm and join the cult like the rest of us

When he gets back he tells me that he only paid $45...I'm like WTF!!!!!! I thought I did good when I got mine for $100 (Newevery2, 2yr price, & rebate)

So I inquire some more about this seemingly underhanded deal...He says that they took his old phone (HTC Touch) as a trade-in. (I didn't know VZ was a car dealership...) Apparently VZ has this unknown policy (@ least to me) where you can trade up your phone if a newer one comes out w/ in a year of your previously bought phone and you pay the difference.

Has ANYONE else heard of this? Maybe it's just something they do at the Experience Store...So it may be a heads up for those of you looking to buy, or in this case, trade-up for a Storm...
    01-13-09 11:36 AM
    Yes. Its been known and talked about on the forums. Normal VZW stores does it as well.
    01-13-09 11:38 AM
    Interesting. I didn't know about that but I have a feeling that my system of reselling on ebay ends up being a better deal even with the hassle.
    01-13-09 11:44 AM
    was he withing his 30 days or with the holiday return policy?
    01-13-09 11:46 AM
    I've had this happen twice. Both times they let me keep my phone too... They just said, "What's it gonna take to make you happy here?" and poof - Good deals!

The first time was an AT&T NEC 525... They wanted me from AT&T so they gave me a free VX7000 (wow that was a long time ago! $150 price with no rebate for new customers at the time).

The second was when my Q stopped working with Vista and they gave me a free Pearl ($200 price with contract at the time with a $70 rebate).

I think the stores will do anything in their power to get new clients and keep old ones happy... My favorite thing is to play the stores against each other - can you say free accessories!
    01-13-09 11:46 AM
    I think the stores will do anything in their power to get new clients and keep old ones happy... My favorite thing is to play the stores against each other - can you say free accessories!
    for the most part, but you have to be giving something to get something. in your case, your first time you were a NEW customer... NEW BUSINESS is what they got from you. Your 2nd time is you got a Blackberry Data plan. Stores have a quota for those bolt on Data plans. Even if you had one with the Q, that was a different feature for a different phone, so they still got credit for the new blackberry sold. I've seen it as well that if I buy accessories they give me a deal on a phone.
    01-13-09 11:58 AM
    Depending on your plan, you can also get one for ~$50. I'll be getting mine for $100, and it would have only been like $50 if I had a more expensive plan, but since my bill pre-storm was only ~$50/month I didnt get the $100 New Every Two rebate.
    01-13-09 12:06 PM
    My boss got his Storm for $50. $250 - $100 (NE2) - $50 (rebate) - $50 (holiday offer).

And I had to pay $200 for the same thing!! Damn!
    01-13-09 12:08 PM
    nice job 45$ how about i got mine for free because the 6 the sent to me did not work plus they gave me all kind of credits i have about 375$ in creadits. with inculeds 2 skins and a dock staiton. maybe i will send in my rebate as well see if it works
    01-13-09 12:10 PM
    Damn. I had to pay $249.

I am the secondary phone in our family plan. The wife gets the NE2 discount and the secondary only gets some form of discount (only at Verizon stores?)
    But since I bought the phone at Costco I got a 90 day return policy vs 30 from Verizon.
    They weren't even able to offer the mail in rebate. Maybe I got hosed but I was able to score the phone on Black Friday when it seemed that everywhere else I tried/looked the phone was not available.

I just walked up to the guy and said jokingly, "Do you have any Storms?" He said yes, and the rest is history. So far, so good. Still on that original one I got that day.
    01-13-09 12:15 PM
    I've had this happen twice. Both times they let me keep my phone too... They just said, "What's it gonna take to make you happy here?" and poof - Good deals!

The first time was an AT&T NEC 525... They wanted me from AT&T so they gave me a free VX7000 (wow that was a long time ago! $150 price with no rebate for new customers at the time).

The second was when my Q stopped working with Vista and they gave me a free Pearl ($200 price with contract at the time with a $70 rebate).

Lol i hate customers like you, but i am the same when shopping for other items
    01-13-09 12:16 PM
    all i did was tell them i was gpping to att and they gave me the world i did it over the internet not the store the last i got they told me i could walk in to a verzion store and pick one up for free all i had to do was give them my old one the guy on the phone said sorry about everything how about we give you 50$ more on your next bill who am i to say no
    01-13-09 12:21 PM
    According to verizon i am fall under there "vip customer plan" which means they give me 30% off of everything. I got my storm for $45 this way.
    Before the storm i had the 8830 through them with gps and tethering capabilities, so maybe because i had like every feature and am paying my left arm to them each month they gave me this deal.
    01-13-09 12:22 PM
    all i did was tell them i was gpping to att and they gave me the world i did it over the internet not the store the last i got they told me i could walk in to a verzion store and pick one up for free all i had to do was give them my old one the guy on the phone said sorry about everything how about we give you 50$ more on your next bill who am i to say no
    Where did you go online to perform this ruse? All I'm trying to do is get them to upgrade me a little early and I keep getting stonewalled at my local store. I even told them I was going to get an iphone...
    01-13-09 01:47 PM
    Wow, that's a fantastic deal! $45?! Although I should note, where they really get you is the month in month out data plan that is required now with all PDA devices.

$30 to $45 a month definitely adds up in data fees.
    01-13-09 01:49 PM
    Wow, that's a fantastic deal! $45?! Although I should note, where they really get you is the month in month out data plan that is required now with all PDA devices.

$30 to $45 a month definitely adds up in data fees.

Through Verizon? Is that a new policy?

In the past, the data plan is only required with BlackBerries. They might tell you that a data plan is required for smartphones, but it shouldn't be required(except for BB's).

I have heard that they sometimes automatically put one on there for you. If this happens, just call and cancel. Opt for the pay as you go if it is not your thing.
    01-13-09 01:57 PM
    Yes. Its been known and talked about on the forums. Normal VZW stores does it as well.
    I just talked to the Verizon Wireless corporate store close to where I live. They say they don't take trade-ins. Because they don't sell refurbished phones. So I tell them BS, you guys sell refurbished phones online now. The rep I talked to says we get those refurbished phones from the manufacturer, not customer returns or trade-ins.

Now, can somebody point me to a store where I can get credit for trade-ins? I have about 4 Palm Treos that I can trade-in.

What is this Verizon Experience store?
    01-13-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD