I seriously doubt that the phone will be any more than $300 (and that's pushing it IMHO) or that VZW is going to lock anybody into a 3-year contract. What everybody has to keep in mind is the current state of the mobile phone market. Both the iPhone and the G1 are out and priced pretty competitively. VZW/RIM would be stupid to release an extremely expensive phone when faced with the current competition or lock people into a unheard of 3-year contract. This may be a common practice in other countries like Canada, but can you imagine the outcry that would ensue if a mobile carrier were to require such a long commitment? People in the US are fickle and need reassurance that they can change their services within a "reasonable" time.

Also, given our current economic state, I highly doubt that there are many people out there right now who are willing to shell out big bucks for a "luxury" item. Obviously the people on this board are what the industry would call "early adopters" and we're probably more tech savvy than the average American and more willing to spend money on this item. However, given the fact that a lot of Americans can't even keep themselves out of foreclosure (I would know, I underwrite for the largest consumer real estate lending company in the US right now..... B of A) I highly doubt that a $300+ cell phone would be on the top of their list of priorities.

What VZW needs to do right now is make itself attractive. There are too many things working against them for the company not to be smart about the pricing for this device. Remember, this is a "consumer" product and it needs to be priced towards consumers. Yes, when the iPhone first came out it was ridiculously expensive, but look how fast Apple had to lower the price after it came out and look at where our economy was during that time.

Needless to say, regardless of how much I'm going to need to spend or how long of a contract I'm going to need to sign, I'm still getting this bad boy.
    Last edited by HBcubs; 10-22-08 at 01:44 AM.
    10-22-08 01:40 AM
    I seriously doubt they are gonna lock anyone in a 3 year contract.. If they are TRYING to get iphone users they would be crazy to do such a thing.. I honestly think its stupid of ATT to MAKE u sign a contract for an iphone because your paying full retail for the iphone anyway. Companys now a days and thier ridiculous fee's/contracts.
    10-22-08 05:31 AM
    I believe it is illegal to have a 3yr contract in most states.
    10-22-08 06:36 AM
    3 yrs is backwards thinking for marketshare if VZW was to even attempt it they would lose marketshare in a very competitve market. The storm is going to be a marketshare taker for VZW and it will be competitive with the iPhone. I mean come on thats marketing 101.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 06:49 AM
    I hope a 3 year contract is not required, but since I'm not eligible for an upgrade until Nov 09 I would be willing to sign a 3-year to get a discount on the phone.
    10-22-08 06:53 AM
    I read the other day (I can't find the link now though).

That vodafone is going to have 3 year contracts, but you get the phone for free.

I really need to find the link.
    10-22-08 07:11 AM
    I just found this:

Silicon Alley Insider-

$700.00 -
    10-22-08 07:27 AM
    I just found this:

Silicon Alley Insider-

$700.00 -
    This has me scared...I was hoping it wouldn't cost me more than 300.00 with a 2 year contract. I also can't see them knocking 400.00 with a contract. Anyone else have thoughts on this. I understand this information is not 100% accurate seeing how the release date was for 10/16/08, but the bold is going for 679.00 so this might be pretty close!!! Eek is right!
    10-22-08 07:46 AM
    I would not be suprised if 700 bucks was retail (with no contract.) I think the Curve (Verizon 8330) was around $500 retail...I still have the P/W somewhere and will try to find it. Considering I got my Curve for $50 dollars...that would be roughly 450 off retail with contract. $700 minus $450 would be around 250 with a contract. And if I used percentages that would even be alot less for the Storm.

I think 200-250 will be the price for a storm with a contract.
    10-22-08 08:02 AM
    If this phone truly retails for $700 then a 3yr plan is possible. On the other hand their is no way in ****!!!! I'll sign a 3yr contract,I might just shell out the $700 or if I can get a 1yr deal. I despise 2yr contracts let alone 3 years.
    10-22-08 08:03 AM
    Consider, first:

A noob (admittedly, like myself) posts information that he got from a Verizon store salesperson (literally the last people to know anything about upcoming hardware) that is little more than speculation by the salesperson's own words, indicating a remarkably high sales price and a heretofor very rare contract term (sometimes they pitch you 100 extra minutes a month for a 3rd year on contract, but 3-year contracts are the exception, not the rule).

Now consider:
    CX and several other "insiders" with a) access to the phone, b) access to advance pricing details, and c) long track records for accuracy and dependability, have repeatedly posted that the price, to paraphrase, will be competitive with the iPhone, competitive in the market, and on at least two occasions that I can recall, "$200-$250, they are still ironing out the details."

And yet, this thread a) gets started in the first place, and b) blossoms with angst and handwringing.

See where I'm going here?
    10-22-08 08:07 AM
    This has me scared...I was hoping it wouldn't cost me more than 300.00 with a 2 year contract. I also can't see them knocking 400.00 with a contract. Anyone else have thoughts on this. I understand this information is not 100% accurate seeing how the release date was for 10/16/08, but the bold is going for 679.00 so this might be pretty close!!! Eek is right!
    I wouldn't worry too much. I've read from BB employees that those prices, until the product is delivered and offered for sale from inventory, represent projected MSRP. Its little more than a placeholder, and 80% of the time its high.
    10-22-08 08:09 AM
    That $699 price is supposedly for Best Buy so I'm not too worried about it. Best Buy tends to charge a little more than VZW for their phones. For example, Best Buy has the 8330 listed for $579, but VZW has it for $429 for the month-to-month plan. Best Buy also offers credits for phone trade-ins. I still expect it to be $599 or less through VZW.
    10-22-08 08:10 AM
    For the record there are Verizon employees who go to this website, so if you could act like not ALL of us are ******** that would be sweet. Verizon is not coming out with 3yr contracts, and I highly doubt they will have a phone for 700 dollars with a contract price. Theres not one blackberry for more than 150 dollars after rebate right now.. If they want it to be the "iPhone Killer" it HAS to compete with the iPhone.

Verizon just came out with a month-month contract option, so if you wanna pay retail and not get locked into a contract for a new line, go for it. Let's be kind of logical here though about the pricing.. im guessing 200-250 after a 70 dollar MIR. The data plan is already mandated, so if you buy the phone your paying a minimum of 30 dollars a month for it.

in reply to BBgun - the trade up program is awesome if youre getting a blackberry and have other phones lying around. theyll give you money for your phones so you can put it towards youre new blackberry =)
    10-22-08 08:25 AM
    The US, and Canada are way behind in this regard. Europe kills us. The Vodafone Storm is free with 18 month contract and �75 plan. Nowhere in NA can remotely come close to that kind of deal. And that's on a "higher end" type device, imagine what it is on something not so publicized. That said, VZW isn't moving to 3yr contracts. Month to month sounds nice to me.
    10-22-08 08:27 AM
    Verizon employees have received NO information about the release date on the Storm or any pricing to go along with it for that matter. We won't know about pricing untill the phone is ready to launch, and I'm sure there are more people in this forum that will know about pricing before some of our "informed employees". Plus, Verizon would be ******** if they put a phone out for $449 with a 3 year contract. HAHAHAHA I wouldn't even waste my time trying to sell it..

As far as the release date goes, all I heard was November 16th (push back from the 9th) from a Data Consultant who was in Waterloo last week.
    Geez, even if it's at $449 for full retail WITHOUT a contract, I'd still buy it. I like not having a contract. I've been with VZW for like 10+ years and have been without a contract for the last round-about 2 years, just buy any new phone I want at full retail. The store loves me cause I keep throwing them all my money. I got the Palm 700w for $650, the 8830 cost me like $450+ (I can't recall exactly) but it's all without a contract. I'll pay $449+ (up to like $700) for the storm at full retail, no problem!

The only thing that I hope that VZW does, is (actually 2 things)

1. Send more than like 10 devices to the actual retail stores.
    2. Limit the store employees from buying all of those 10.

I say this because when I was in the largest store where I live, I was talking to the store manager about replacing another phone and he saw that I have two BB 8830s. He asked if I knew about the new phone, I said yes and that I'll be at the store the morning it gets released to buy it.

His response: "Well, I'll see if I can save you one because most of the employees here and at the other stores in the area already called 'dibs' on the phone so if HQ ships them like they did the 8830s, you're not going to get one. At this store alone, there is approximately 35 people that want the Storm that WILL get it before you or any other consumers do!"

Needless to say, I was FUMING MAD!
    10-22-08 08:47 AM
    Geez, even if it's at $449 for full retail WITHOUT a contract, I'd still buy it. I like not having a contract. I've been with VZW for like 10+ years and have been without a contract for the last round-about 2 years, just buy any new phone I want at full retail. The store loves me cause I keep throwing them all my money. I got the Palm 700w for $650, the 8830 cost me like $450+ (I can't recall exactly) but it's all without a contract. I'll pay $449+ (up to like $700) for the storm at full retail, no problem!

The only thing that I hope that VZW does, is (actually 2 things)

1. Send more than like 10 devices to the actual retail stores.
    2. Limit the store employees from buying all of those 10.

I say this because when I was in the largest store where I live, I was talking to the store manager about replacing another phone and he saw that I have two BB 8830s. He asked if I knew about the new phone, I said yes and that I'll be at the store the morning it gets released to buy it.

His response: "Well, I'll see if I can save you one because most of the employees here and at the other stores in the area already called 'dibs' on the phone so if HQ ships them like they did the 8830s, you're not going to get one. At this store alone, there is approximately 35 people that want the Storm that WILL get it before you or any other consumers do!"

Needless to say, I was FUMING MAD!

i dont know where you reside, but on the east coast in the philly market, if i was allowed to buy the storm at the store id be ecstatic! this is actually the first phone thats coming out that employees will probably want and theyre making them available to us when its out!! (normally we have to wait a couple months.. werent allowed to buy voyagers or dares when they first came out unless we got shady and created a consumer account vs. an employee account, which you CANT do at youre own store.) only downfall is we have to order offline and theyre "closely monitoring inventory levels". i dont think you have anything to worry about as far as employees stealing youre phones. also, vzw has a campaign manager for people who are interested in the storm, so if youre local verizon store is actually inputting people in there, they will receive more than 10 storms and they will be stocked for what they actually might sell. id say see if it releases online first and then just order it, go to the store to get youre accessories.
    10-22-08 09:00 AM
    you guys have shed a lot of insight on the rumor, and i appreciate that. A lot of sense being made.

I guess when its all said and done its not likely to be a 3yr contract, or at least not a combination of a yr contract AND a steep price.

thanks all.

less than 30 days left (damnit we hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!), common VZW tell us something!!!! ANYTHING!!!
    10-22-08 09:31 AM
    The US, and Canada are way behind in this regard. Europe kills us. The Vodafone Storm is free with 18 month contract and �75 plan. Nowhere in NA can remotely come close to that kind of deal. And that's on a "higher end" type device, imagine what it is on something not so publicized. That said, VZW isn't moving to 3yr contracts. Month to month sounds nice to me.
    Europe is killing us? NA cannot remotely come close to a deal like Vodafone's? 75 Pounds is about $121 currently. Over 18 months, the total would come to $2178 (with a free phone).

With VZW, you can get a voice plan with unlimited messaging plus unlimited web/internet (BIS) for $100/month. Btw, that's including taxes and all, but not including any work discounts which a lot of people get. So over 18 months, the total would amount to $1800 plus the cost of the phone.

Basically, if someone paid $377 or less for a Blackberry, they're getting a better deal with VZW than with Vodafone.

I appreciate all your insider hints, CX, but I fail to see your logic here.
    10-22-08 10:23 PM
    Europe is killing us? NA cannot remotely come close to a deal like Vodafone's? 75 Pounds is about $121 currently. Over 18 months, the total would come to $2178 (with a free phone).

With VZW, you can get a voice plan with unlimited messaging plus unlimited web/internet (BIS) for $100/month. Btw, that's including taxes and all, but not including any work discounts which a lot of people get. So over 18 months, the total would amount to $1800 plus the cost of the phone.

Basically, if someone paid $377 or less for a Blackberry, they're getting a better deal with VZW than with Vodafone.

I appreciate all your insider hints, CX, but I fail to see your logic here.
    Over 24 months, or a typical 2-year contract, VZW would be an even better deal than Vodafone. Just saying...
    10-22-08 10:32 PM
    I will sign a 3 year contract if it means the phone is free.

I can't remember but if VZW works like At&T if you are the primary holder you can actually upgrade every year (correct?)

I plan on staying with them for 3 years anyway. The only problem is if they release another BB that I want - :P
    10-23-08 06:47 AM

I can't remember but if VZW works like At&T if you are the primary holder you can actually upgrade every year (correct?)

I plan on staying with them for 3 years anyway. The only problem is if they release another BB that I want - :P

Primary lines with monthly access higher than 59.99 qualify for annual upgrades. Plus, after every contract signed, verizon takes 5 dollars off of your ETF for every completed month.
    10-23-08 02:11 PM

Primary lines with monthly access higher than 59.99 (900 minutes or 450select or higher single line).. this means your priceplan not youre total bill. qualify for annual upgrades. Plus, after every contract signed, verizon takes 5 dollars off of your ETF for every completed month.
    10-23-08 02:15 PM
    Primary lines with monthly access higher than 59.99 (900 minutes or 450select or higher single line).. this means your priceplan not youre total bill. qualify for annual upgrades. Plus, after every contract signed, verizon takes 5 dollars off of your ETF for every completed month.
    It's 49.99
    10-23-08 02:27 PM
    What if my current 2-year is up on 11/14, and I'm NOT interested in signing a new one? Can I pay retail for the Storm (or any blackberry) and go month to month? Will they sell me the Storm without a contract?
    10-23-08 02:47 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD