Ok so I may be way off on asking about this, and just ignorant about my phone.
    So my phone currently says "1Xev", before it used to have all caps and say "1XEV", does that make a difference? does that mean my service has changed?

And one more questions, does the EV mean that my phone is using 3G. Why doesn't it say 3G?
    12-25-08 11:34 PM
    From what i hear the 1X means capable to text? IDK just what I heard.
    12-25-08 11:37 PM
    3G is just a classification of network technology that the GSM guys are TOTALLY abusing right now. 3G this, 3G that - us CDMA guys have been using "3G" for the past few years!

3G = third generation.

1X=2G
    1XEVDO=3G

If it shows 1XEV, you're fully connected and can use all data services at fullspeeds, but if it shows 1xev then you won't be able to use anything that requires data (web, email, etc).
    Last edited by Bonjour43MA; 12-25-08 at 11:42 PM.
    12-25-08 11:40 PM
    3G means 3rd Genration.

Verizon uses Evolution Data Optimized Revision A for their 3G network. This is why you get a 1XEV symbol. Whenever you have this you are in "3G" signal.

ATT is improper for using "3G" logo because it simply does not make sense. They should indicate you are under their HSPDA network.
    I mean no disrespect by this, but the best thing to do to understand what those letters, EVDO, 3G, etc mean is to look them up on Wikipedia. It'll make a lot more sense! Pose those questions here and you'll hear from the Search Police.
    I copied this from one of the Mods (PETE)

3G is a GSM protocol. Verizon is a CDMA network and the equivalent transmission speed to GSM's 3G is 1XEV. Essentially these two are functionally the same (there are some differences but for downloading stuff they do the same thing).

If you see lowercase letter it means that the phone can detect the hi-speed networing protocol but is not/cannot login/connect to it. UPPERcase letters indicate that the phone and the network are best friends and are happily talking to each other are you may use the network facilities.
    I'm going to ********* people if you don't start searching before you post new thread about the same questions that have been answered about a billion time.

1XEV means you have full EVDO speeds and Blackberry data service

1xev means you have full EVDO speeds, but don't have Blackberry data service

1X means you don't have EVDO speeds and you have Blackberry data service.

1x means you don't have EVDO speeds and don't have Blackberry data service either.

BTW, there is no such thing as 1Xev!!!!!!! It's all upper case or lower case!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 12-26-08 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Easy Civic
    I'm going to ********* people if you don't start searching before you post new thread about the same questions that have been answered about a billion time.

1x means you don't have EVDO speeds and don't have Blackberry data service either.

BTW, there is no such thing as 1Xev!!!!!!! It's all upper case or lower case!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh no a capitalization error. How sad
    12-25-08 11:45 PM
    Actually the capitalization is the most important part of the post...
    12-25-08 11:47 PM
    It is in this case because then all the noobs start wondering why their's says 1xev and not 1Xev. Yeah, it's happened. Trust me, I don't make big deals out of things that don't cause people to noobishly scratch their heads and wonder why they don't have it.

Take for instance the dumb thread just this past week where someone on Verizon wanted their signal to say 3G instead of 1XEV.
    12-25-08 11:48 PM
    It is in this case because then all the noobs start wondering why their's says 1xev and not 1Xev. Yeah, it's happened. Trust me, I don't make big deals out of things that don't cause people to noobishly scratch their heads and wonder why they don't have it.

Take for instance the dumb thread just this past week where someone on Verizon wanted their signal to say 3G instead of 1XEV.
    Too funny!
    12-25-08 11:52 PM

Like I said in another thread, there are too many people buying this phone that probably shouldn't have bought it (not saying they can't, but people usually find it difficult to use a Blackberry if they have never used one before. Add the new touchscreen interface and we have a lot of confused and frustrated users)... this is not an iPhone and is not as straight forward to use or operate.
    12-25-08 11:59 PM
    Like I said in another thread, there are too many people buying this phone that probably shouldn't have bought it (not saying they can't, but people usually find it difficult to use a Blackberry if they have never used one before. Add the new touchscreen interface and we have a lot of confused and frustrated users)... this is not an iPhone and is not as straight forward to use or operate.
    that's what i love about it.. the need to learn more about it =D

no but i totally agree
    12-26-08 12:09 AM
    3G is listed if you're on GSM, 1XEV is the equivalent on CDMA. I actually got the 3G logo while in Japan last weekend, very cool!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 02:07 AM
    I'm going to kill you people if you don't start searching before you post new thread about the same questions that have been answered about a billion time.

There is such a thing as 1xev and if you are seeing that you need to contact verizion. There is a symbol that shows up with lower case and there is something in the settings that is not set correctly. My wife has had this show up and then flip fron 1xev to SOS to 1xEV. I spent an hour on the phone with them and we had to resend service book and reregister. since doing this a week ago she has not had a problem. Also before doing this our phones standing side by side did not show the same signal strength. mine was better. both Storms.
    12-26-08 07:09 AM
    Grumpyold man, that should be your signature with a name like that
    12-26-08 09:06 AM
    let's stay focused here

1xev means you do not have data services at the moment. Either your account/phone are not provisioned properly or there is a network/tower issue in your area. I suggest calling Verizon if it does not resolve shortly (it should be all capital letters). 1XEV would be Verizon's (and Sprint, Alltel etc) 3G, they just call it by the protocol name unlike AT&T
    12-26-08 09:20 AM
    I have seen 1xEV on my phone, so I think you are wrong Civic.
    12-26-08 09:28 AM
    The one thing they had me do was under Mobil Network switch from Global to 1xEV then do *228 option 1. But they did make some changes on their end as well they had me go in and reregister.
    12-26-08 09:28 AM
    Something that I have not seen mentioned anywhere on this site, or anywhere else for that matter, is that Verizon(at least in my area) does not have a true 3G network. They say they do but it is a lie, although to a certain extent may be technically and legally accurate.

When I was with Sprint I could be on the phone and the internet at the same time. Not so with Verizon. In the paperwork that came with my phone was something from RIM, not Verizon, that showed the signal icons and what they mean. I found that info here so you can see for yourself:

Verizon phones will not show the 3g icon. I called Verizon and was told that if my phone showed 1XEV I was connected to a 3G network, but that their phones didn't show the 3g icon. I was also told I would not be able to use voice and data at the same time. They still insisted it was 3G. I talked to someone at RIM who admitted that Verizon's network was not really 3G, but somehow they were legally allowed to claim it was.

From the manual:
    3G icon: You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages,
    MMS messages and SMS text messages. You can use the phone and send
    and receive email messages or use the browser simultaneously.

It goes on to explain the other icons and what they mean, but 3G is the only one where you can use both voice and data at the same time.

Before you ask-Why did I switch from Sprint? I had an HTC Touch Pro and after the 8th one that was defective I asked them to give me my money back and give me a different phone. They refused. They did however offer to give me some box that I could connect to my internet cable modem to use at home because my reception was so bad. And not charge me the usual $10 a month fee. They also felt so bad for me they didn't charge me the early termination fee. Thinking of going back.

I had to remove the link to the icon explanations in the manual because my post count is not high enough. If someone who is able to post a link will email me I will give you the link so you can post it.
    11-30-09 12:48 PM
    And you probably haven't noticed that you are posting in a year old threat...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 03:24 PM
    Nope. But now it's not old. Anyway I searched the forums and didn't see it addressed anywhere. That doesn't mean it isn't, but who the **** has time to go through hundreds of posts?
    11-30-09 03:29 PM
    Something that I have not seen mentioned anywhere on this site, or anywhere else for that matter, is that Verizon(at least in my area) does not have a true 3G network. They say they do but it is a lie, although to a certain extent may be technically and legally accurate.

When I was with Sprint I could be on the phone and the internet at the same time. Not so with Verizon.
    You're one confused puppy ... basically Sprint and Verizon use the same 3G technology.

Here, do a little RTFM and check these out for bare bones, basic infomation:

What is 3G?
    What is 3G Service?
    What are 3G Networks?
    What Is 3G EVDO?
    11-30-09 05:45 PM
    If so explain why with sprint you can use voice and data and with verizon it's one or the other. Also, why does the verizon phone not show a 3G icon?
    11-30-09 05:55 PM
    If Apple can make the iPhone "straight forward to use or operate" why can't RIM make the STORM more "user" friendly???

Is there a reason that it needs to be more difficult to use? That it takes 2-3 times longer to pull up web pages (probably the reason for the original question is because the phone is so slow surfing the web)? That it get stuck when rotating the screen?

RIM will not like it, but you are right People probably should be buying something else.
    11-30-09 06:09 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD