ive got a user who's thoroughly fed up w/ her verizon storm and wants to return it. she has, as a spare phone, an 8700 from t-mobile that's supposedly unlocked. the 2 questions are:

1 - how can you tell if a phone is unlocked?

2 - can the SIM from a verizon storm be used in a tmobile 8700?

when i pull the sim from the storm and put it in the 8700, it says "invalid SIM".

thanks in advance. any help would be much appreciated.
    03-20-09 09:51 AM
    To answer #2 - The T-Mobile 8700 is likely locked and will only take a T-Mobile sim (unless you unlock it). Even if it takes it, the sim is actually for using Vodaphone when outside the US and I don't know what it will say in the US, may go on roaming and be very expensive!

As far as knowing if your phone is unlocked.....did you buy it unlocked? If not, it's locked. VZW will unlock the sim slot for you if you call and tell them you are traveling and want to be able to use a local sim card.
    03-20-09 10:02 AM
    according to the user, she took it to a cell phone store that does unlocks. i need a way to confirm this.
    03-20-09 10:05 AM
    according to the user, she took it to a cell phone store that does unlocks. i need a way to confirm this.
    Why not try to buy a prepaid sim either from Tmobile or ATT and use it on the "unlocked" Storm? Or if you don't want to spend money on a prepaid sim, try to borrow a friend's sim and insert that one. Once you have switched the service from CDMA to GSM, the sim card (whether it may be ATT or Tmobile) will work... That's one way of finding out if any phone is unlocked to other carriers...
    03-20-09 12:14 PM
    1 - Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card
    Top line should read - Security Disabled
    ID: (should show SIM Card ID)
    2 - No
    03-20-09 12:38 PM
    Well what's the use if I understand correctly you cannot use a gsm phone on a cdma network you would never be able to activate it on vzw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 01:26 PM
    Well what's the use if I understand correctly you cannot use a gsm phone on a cdma network you would never be able to activate it on vzw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The Verizon SIM from the Storm is only for international use (unless you lie and get the Storm unlocked so you can use it with another carrier).

Spaciorek is right -- you cannot activate a GSM (TMo) phone on a CDMA (VZW) network.
    03-20-09 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD