Ever since I completed the Verizon OTA OS upgrade to version 4.7.0.148, I have noticed a difference in the signal type on my phone. Right below the signal strength bars, I see either 1XEV or 1Xev (note the small case "ev"). Whenever I see the "EV" version, I have no issues with data going back and forth on my Storm. When the "ev" version is displayed, I will go for a long time before email is recevied, data transmission is slow with the browser, internet apps like Facebook and Twitter time out all the time, etc... I usually do a QuickPull, and it goes back to "EV". I then get a tidal wave of emails, text messages, etc. Signal strength will aslo change from 0 to 5 bars and back down to 0 bars with the "ev" signal. battery life is also horrible with this "ev" signal. I looked in the phone settings, under Options - Mobile Network. My settings are Data Services = On, Network Selection Mode = Automatic (this is the only choice), and Network Technology = Global. The other choices for Network Technology are GSM/UMTS, 1XEV, and Global. Should I change this setting to 1XEV?

Thanks,

Bryan
    06-29-09 10:28 AM
    Ever since I completed the Verizon OTA OS upgrade to version 4.7.0.148, I have noticed a difference in the signal type on my phone. Right below the signal strength bars, I see either 1XEV or 1Xev (note the small case "ev"). Whenever I see the "EV" version, I have no issues with data going back and forth on my Storm. When the "ev" version is displayed, I will go for a long time before email is recevied, data transmission is slow with the browser, internet apps like Facebook and Twitter time out all the time, etc... I usually do a QuickPull, and it goes back to "EV". I then get a tidal wave of emails, text messages, etc. Signal strength will aslo change from 0 to 5 bars and back down to 0 bars with the "ev" signal. battery life is also horrible with this "ev" signal. I looked in the phone settings, under Options - Mobile Network. My settings are Data Services = On, Network Selection Mode = Automatic (this is the only choice), and Network Technology = Global. The other choices for Network Technology are GSM/UMTS, 1XEV, and Global. Should I change this setting to 1XEV?

Thanks,

Bryan

just do a batt pull... actual batt pull.... works for when it happens to me. but yes i have seen it doing thisn more with .148 as opposed to ither OS's
    06-29-09 10:29 AM
    Do you know what the difference is between 1Xev and 1XEV? is the "ev" signal a 3G type signal from another cell provider? I know that Verizon has sold a few of their towers here in the Sarasota, FL area.

EDIT - Decided to change the Network Techology Setting from "Global" to "1XEV" to see if it makes a difference.

Bryan
    06-29-09 10:36 AM
    From someone smarter than me...

JRSCCivic98
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
    Device Model: Storm - It's CLICKTASTIC!!! �
    PIN: I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. || Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums!

The solutions to this are to make sure you're on the latest OS update for your phone, but most importantly that you're on the

latest PRL for the network you're on. For Verizon, dial *22899 and wait for the provision update to complete. If you dial

#HELP* Send before and after and look at the PRL version you'll be able to see if the version number changed. The PRL is what

drives the phone radio's ability to connect to the cell towers for service and it's something that changes almost on a monthly

basis. Keep it up to date.
    06-29-09 10:38 AM
    Do you know what the difference is between 1Xev and 1XEV? is the "ev" signal a 3G type signal from another cell provider? I know that Verizon has sold a few of their towers here in the Sarasota, FL area.

EDIT - Decided to change the Network Techology Setting from "Global" to "1XEV" to see if it makes a difference.

Bryan
    I believe, and couple be wrong, but "ev" is 3G voice but no data, whereas EV is voice and data. Which would also explain why you arent really receiving emails, or having trouble doing them. Usually when it happens to me i have 1xev instead of 1Xev though... Completely shuts down my data...

And yes switching from global to 1XEV should help with your battery
    06-29-09 10:42 AM
    When EV is lowercase...you have no 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 10:43 AM
    When EV is lowercase...you have no 3G

06-29-09 10:43 AM
    Changing that setting will help and you should do what civic says. Always do what civic says!

1XEV = 3G voice and data

Anything else is some degrdstion of that; 1xev, 1x, etc. It'll also happen if you're in an area where the radio is having trouble hitting a 3G CDMA tower.

06-29-09 11:03 AM
    Thanks for everyone's input!

I'm pretty good about doing my *228 update at least once a month. I have noticed a MASSIVE change in performance of the phone over the last hour. Looking back, I remember when I did the OTA update, my phone asked me several questions about settings, and I basically chose the defaut setting if I didn't know what the setting pertained to. The "Global" setting was a default setting if I remember correctly.

Bryan
    06-29-09 11:20 AM
    Change your phone setting from Network Technology = Global to Network Technology = 1XEV. This helped me when my signal was going back and forth between 1XEV and 1Xev.
    06-29-09 11:38 AM
    you need to resend your service books and registar with network

to register with the network go options>advanced>hostroutingtable>bbkey>registerno w

it you see x or xev instead of X or XEV you have no data..if you dont know how to resend your service books let me know
    06-29-09 11:43 AM
    From my understanding, changing from Global to 1XEV only means that you are turning off the phone's GSM capabilities (in other words it won't search for a GSM signal). I don't know how that relates to 1Xev vs. 1XEV

Also, you don't need to reboot your phone to get the 1XEV signal back. Go to your Manage Connections options, disconnect your Mobile Network, and reconnect it. It should give you 1XEV back.
    Last edited by AMGala; 06-29-09 at 01:26 PM.
    06-29-09 01:24 PM
    Those who said 1Xev is voice is correct and 1XEV is both data and voice. When I don't pay my verizon bill, I end up with the 1Xev and can get incoming calls, but no data. Hope that helps.

06-29-09 01:45 PM
    If the 1xev never capitalizes even after a battery pull try dialing ##000000 then send it like a call & on that screen in the SIP password field type lower case vzw, when it resets the letters should be capital, all *228 does is update the roaming list
    06-29-09 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD