My old vzw phone would allow me to type up to 6 160 character SMS mssgs in one window then send them all at once. Wish the storm would do the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 07:01 AM
    My old vzw phone would allow me to type up to 6 160 character SMS mssgs in one window then send them all at once. Wish the storm would do the same.

But it wasn't a BB

11-17-09 04:06 PM
    ^^Agreed Dawgy.

This topic has been gone over extensively in other threads about who is restricting this option. We know that on Verizon, the dumbphones are allowed to go past the 160 character limit, showing that EMS is possible within the network. On other carriers, such as AT&T and T-mobile, it's blackberries have this feature. Now everyone says, 'well just send an MMS message if you need to send a message past 160.' The problem is, for people like myself who have an 8830 on Verizon where MMS isn't available, that option isn't a viable one. So that leaves one issue. Since I can't comment on Sprint, Telus, Bell, or any other CDMA Blackberries (anyone care to give info?), I can only say that for some reason all Verizon BB's don't have this option and this trend will continue. After playing with the simulator, and I know there is another thread in the 95xx forum that discusses the same topic, I'm sorry to say, but the limit is imposed again.

All in all though, I still feel it has to be a RIM CDMA thing because GSM berries have the option, and other smartphones on Verizon (namely the Motorola Q) have this option as well. So who knows...
    I used to own a Motorola Q b4 this storm.....That was a **** OF A PHONE....did everything!

11-17-09 04:50 PM
    This is the only thing that annoys me, that I can't type beyond 160 characters. I would love to get the beyond160 app but I don't want to spend money on it. I had a dumbphone before this and I don't believe that it did the multiple messages but then again I didn't really message on it.

Even though it annoys me I live with it and I keep hoping, though it might be a futile hope, that they will somehow include this in a future OS update.

BTW kudos for digging this up after so long.
    11-17-09 05:21 PM
    I know this has been beat to death but why haven't the carriers or phone manufacturers increased the limit. Is it some sort of technical/programming issue? I realize SMS means short messaging but texting is so popular nowadays and its hard to relay a message in only 160 characters.
    11-18-09 01:38 PM
    I agree the 160 character limit is a bit annoying but doesn't threaded SMS "sorta" help this as when you get to 160 characters you hit send then just keep on typing the rest of your message without having to go back and find the message you were replying to and hit reply again etc etc. ?? That's how I do it anyways. I guess it could be an issue if the person you are sending it too doesn't like you taking up so many of their sms message allowances. lol
    11-18-09 02:29 PM
    I agree the 160 character limit is a bit annoying but doesn't threaded SMS "sorta" help this as when you get to 160 characters you hit send then just keep on typing the rest of your message without having to go back and find the message you were replying to and hit reply again etc etc. ?? That's how I do it anyways. I guess it could be an issue if the person you are sending it too doesn't like you taking up so many of their sms message allowances. lol
    or you can do what i do... if I have that much to say i just pick up the phone and dial...
    11-18-09 04:27 PM
    or you can do what i do... if I have that much to say i just pick up the phone and dial...
    I won't necessarily pick up the phone and dial...I just start typing a second txt. Wow that was hard. lol
    11-18-09 04:31 PM
    link:
    forums.crackberry.com/f35/beyond-160-texting-221513/
    11-18-09 05:44 PM
    Yeah but when you're at work with very thin walls and you don't want your boss or coworkers to know you're giving your former college roommate dating advice when you're supposed to be working you need to just keep typing
    11-19-09 08:01 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD