I searched and searched but did not see this discussed anywhere.

Running 5.0.0.328 on a Storm 9530.

If I get a new SMS message or a linked email account message the New message indicator lights up with the message count just like it should.

Let's say I got 3 new messages. If I delete all 3 the new message indicator still remains on screen with a count of 1. No matter where I look I cannot find an unopened message.

If I do a battery pull the new message icon will go away.

First time I get any message the indicator comes back on and stays at 1 if there are no unread messages. If I have 1 unread message it says 2. 2 unread it says 3, and so on.

Any way to fix this other than battery pull?
    11-05-09 11:56 AM
    Do you have blackberry alerts because this happens when I get a text voicemail, or missed call. It drives me nuts to try to figure out how to stop it. THere is a program out there that does stop the red blinking, but not sure what it is called. In any event, go into voicemails if you have visual voicemails delete all, try to make sure all texts are read as well as emails depending on your settings. Also check missed calls and delete anything that a red mark next to it. Eventually, I get the problem solved oh and if you have BB alerts go into it and delete everything.
    11-05-09 12:25 PM
    I had this issue and found that I had saved a message but not read it but also deleted it. Check your saved messages

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 12:30 PM
    Go into message folder and hit "u" if any unread messages exist it will show you. This happened to when I got the Tour and the time was off when i activated and was receiving emails.
    11-05-09 12:39 PM
    Ok, I tried all of these suggestions.

First, thanks for the help everyone.

Ok, I did the view folders option and checked every single one. Nothing unopened in any of them. Thought I found it in Browser messages because it took a second to think about opening but then no messages.

I don't have BB Alerts, I do have Aerize Alerts. No folders in use with that as far as I can tell.

Also as more info, it is not SMS messages. Only email messages that generate this stuck 1 message unread icon. This never happened before OS 5.0. I have two linked email accounts. I have gone as far as all these suggestions and also hitting the top date in each folder that had messages read in it and marking all prior opened and deleting all messages in both email accounts and SMS as well.

The red light indicator does not stay on (thankfully). If I get a new message it does and then goes off when I check it. So everything is working normally except a false report of (1) Messages with my linked email accounts.
    11-05-09 12:48 PM
    Go into message folder and hit "u" if any unread messages exist it will show you. This happened to when I got the Tour and the time was off when i activated and was receiving emails.

Arrghhh. I thought that would work. It just says No Unread Message in List.
    11-05-09 12:50 PM
    I know this will sound "dumb" but have you done a battery pull?
    11-05-09 12:53 PM
    Reconcile, nope.

I even went into AP news reader and WSJ app to see if there were notifications in there. Nothing.

After updating WSJ to 1.2.2 I was asked to reboot. Doing that now.

I'll have to do the little trick to get Appleberry to display without the white sidebars once again but I am betting the (1) messages icon will be gone.

Still rebooting...
    11-05-09 01:00 PM

Yep, that is what made it go away the first time I encountered the problem. Have not rebooted since, just dealt with the bogus message indicator.

Trying a soft reboot now. I'll post if that makes the (1) messages go away.
    11-05-09 01:02 PM
    I had to do a battery pull to get a text indicator to go way!
    Worked like a charm.
    No problems since.
    11-05-09 01:03 PM
    Yep that solved it. A soft reboot took the erroneous message icon away.

Now I have Bing and V Cast video icons. Like to keep 16 icons on the screen so moving those to folders.

I know as soon as I get an email the (1) messages will return.

<Starts playing Jaws music>
    11-05-09 01:06 PM
    I had to do a battery pull to get a text indicator to go way!
    Worked like a charm.
    No problems since.

Ok, that is what I will do the next time it surfaces.

Battery pull. Maybe the first one just didn't take or something. Electronics are wacky like that.
    11-05-09 01:08 PM
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.
    11-05-09 01:12 PM
    Have you gone to your messages and then to your options and then mark all messages opened?
    11-05-09 01:12 PM
    If its your SMS icon I noticed that mine will stay up there if I don't go into the thead as if to reply to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 01:13 PM
    Ok, I may have figured it out. I think a ghost message remains if I delete it from the Aerize Alerts pop up screen. If I OK the Aerize message and then physically open then close the message within the messages folder then delete it, the (1) messages indicator goes away.

I'll test it again by deleting it straight from the Aerize Alert pop up and see if it remains.
    11-05-09 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD