I see so many themes (free and premium) that come and go, some are awesome looking but not functional and some are just ok looking but function great and then there are those that are just in between. I'm wondering what are the top 3 things that you look for in a theme when browsing the forums or the app store (or the internet)?

My picks:

1. Profile icon and quicklaunch hotspot on homescreen
    2. Easy navigation (more than 2 clicks to get to anything and it doesn't go on my phone) and having to keep 10 hotspots on the homescreen memorized doesn't work, period.
    3. Colors/icons that flow with the theme while at the same time don't make my favorite wallpaper look like it was pasted in by a 3 year old.

These are my top 3 things that determine if a theme stays on my phone for more than a day. Of course, these are all my personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Just looking for input from other board users of what they look for in themes and what makes them run the other direction when a new theme is launched.

Currently sporting the Laneberry theme for about a month now, just fits everything I want in a theme.
    04-07-10 06:45 AM
    1) I like to see a consistent color scheme throughout as many screens as possible (I'm tired of the typical 'blue' on a default BB)

2) I like a clean lock screen that clearly shows my "owner info" - I have several lines of data in there that needs/I would like to be shown.

3) clean main screen - popup 'dock' is great (I like the android themes), but I want my wallpapers visible

4) clean/crisp/professional looking icons

5) main screen hot spots for clock, sound profiles, and calendar at least (as well, not interested in memorizing hidden hot spots).

6) no memory issues - I know, it's a blackberry - memory leaks out of everything (at least in my experience) - but when running a theme, it seems to disappear even quicker).

My input, fwiw!
    04-07-10 07:03 AM
    I'm kinda absent-minded, which is why I need a BlackBerry in the first place, and my preferences are built around that.

1. My most used apps should be accessible from the homescreen, but no hidden hotspots (except maybe for one big one in the center for the apps screen.) This means as many intuitive hotspots as possible, like the date being the calendar hotspot.

2. A weather icon on the homescreen is a must for me (I work outside most days.)

3. A dock for my "second tier" apps is a good thing, especially if it hides.

If you can do all that and still make it look "clean", you got a winner in my book.
    04-07-10 05:49 PM
    1. Hotspots for BW, QL, and all of the system things (profiles, options, etc.)

2. I'm starting to like some themes that use stock icons again. I was finding some of the icons on the newer themes were made so well that the icons for some third party apps looked horrid next to them. Also I think I'm in the minority but I don't like the Andriod icons.

3. Everything I need should be no more than 2 clicks away.

4. Hidden Today, preferably with a background so I can read them over all wallpapers.

I've probably tried about 50 themes, both paid and free. I'm currently using "Falling L Freemium" and finding it suits my needs from the above list (except for #4).

Thanks to all the theme makers for their hard work!
    04-07-10 07:35 PM
    1.colors must flow from one page to another easily.and be consistent with one another

2.Hidden today i cant stand a cluttered homescreen,,and a mini dock on top or bottom doesn't hurt that way i have 1 "touch" access to my most used icons

3.easy flow and no lag

4.wallpaper friendly is a must have for me if not i dont even bother

5.Hotspots for profiles,options ect.

i have tried many themes(no paid though, i just cant bring myself to spend money on something when i dont even know if its any good as for lag and flow) but the one i have found so far that works the best and fits to my list above is "The Blak Theme" mine is purple.=) Theme Makers Keep Up The Great Work And Thanks!
    04-11-10 12:18 PM
    1) Does it leak memory? (always a problem with my 9530)
    2) Are the icons clean? and Do the colors match consistently?
    3) Is it very minimal? and Are there hotspots?

Also, I really don't care for screen transitions at all. The phone seems so much snappier and quick when there aren't any. But it's very hard to find a theme that doesn't have them.
    04-12-10 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD