There are SOOOO many posts where people are complaining about issues with such and such OS that are well known and caused by themes.

If you are having issues with alerts or messages check the information below...several OS have these issues while running themes....

In Summary, to my knowledge as I am not a big theme user.

Newest released Theme Builder version fixes most issue with the latest 5.0 Builds Storm 1 and Storm 2
    1. White bar landscape issue gone
    2. Media Folder issues fixed
    3. Clock and Manage connections shortcuts are universal like the are in the Default theme
    4. Memory Leaks seem improved...at least as good as when you didn't do the wallpaper/Layout change workaround.

***5.0 themes built with the new Theme Builder are not compatible with 4.7 OS ******

Information Below is regarding the Old theme builder...many themes in this forum were built with the old version, new ones are usually noted as 5.0 Themes:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.7 built themes on 5.0 OS builds:

.140 and .154 : Themes are broken. Themes have the same issues as 4.7 .16x 1nd .17x builds regarding messages. DON'T USE THEM! Go back to Precision Zen Default and do a battery pull to fix you issues and delete your theme since you can not use it on these builds.

.191, .216, and .230: Themes finally work again. This build has the most compatible themes of any post 4.7 .148 build . A few minor problems do occur (detailed below).

.323, .327 and .328 Themes work except for a significant visual glitch when viewing the application list in landscape mode This seems fixable by changing the wallpaper in the theme to something user selected and then by changing the number of rows on the home screen. In the application list menu>options>Layout>today>save Use the same method to go back to 2 rows and the problem should be gone until a battery pull or theme change.

.419 The visual glitch is not as bad. There is no tearing of the icons when you scroll in landscape and the bars are black instead of white and your theme wallpaper is shrunk in the middle of the bars....

.797, .591, .685...I think these all works the same as .419 when running 4.7 built themes

Hopefully all the theme builders will provide their default background wallpaper if they have not already.

There is also many reports that themes, when running with the white bar workaround slow down your phone and leak memory pretty bad with these builds.

Various Minor 5.0 issues:
    1. Media Player issues:
    A) Your individual media icons may be scattered- In this case you simply need to make a new folder, choose the skin you want and then move all your individual media icons in to that folder. (At least one theme does not have this issue Strukturiert but step by step for how theme builders can fix this is not yet posted/known. On .323 and .328 the media skin was usually a selectable skin when creating a folder but this no longer seems to be the case on the latest builds.
    B) if there is a hidden hot spot to launch the media player, it will be a dead link since the media player is now simply a folder where the individual icons go

2. There is an issue with flick scrolling on some themes with .230 (Maybe .216) where the scroll bounces before it should making it difficult to access the bottom row of icons. (this issue is fixed on .323 and .328 however...)

If you have any message/alert issues, make sure you are running the default theme and do a battery pull...if the issue goes away it is most likely caused by your OS theme compatibility.

4.7 built themes 4.7 OS builds (5.0 themes do not work on 4.7 OS)
    .148 and below: (including Sakstel .179 for 9530 that has the same radio/.sfi/platform as .148 which is software platform 4.0.0.181) Themes are compatible, but they are big culprits for slowing your phone down and causing memory leaks. This applies even if they are not active.

.151 : Many themes work, but they need to be .151 compatible or they really mess up your phone requiring special techniques to fix (Safe mode delete or more extreme methods) The compatible ones do work pretty nicely, not slowing down the phone or leaking memory as much as in older builds

.16x and .17x: Themes are broken. Themes are going to give you tons of headaches receiving, viewing, and deleting messages. DON'T USE THEM! Go back to Precsions Zen Default and do a battery pull to fix you issues and delete your theme since you can not use it on these builds.
    (Note Sasktel has a .179 for 9530 that does not have these issues because it uses the same platform as .148 The platform or radio file (.sfi) is really what matters regarding theme compatability)

.181 It looks like Themes are still broken in this one.

Update- Some (VERY FEW)minimalist themes will work on 4.7 .16x and .17x (.181?)!!!! Thanks to daveastra for pointing this out to me...His HTC Hero Theme works fine for me on .167 and he uses it on .173

He says it must be a ZEN theme in order to work which he says:"zen being the typical style of 1/2/3 rows of icons on the homepage, basically all iv done with this theme is made the banner larger than a standard ZEN size (theres a limit, custom themes can go full page) but basically all works well, just you have to compromise in the design, no today sections, no hidden hotspots, basically none of the stuff we`ve come to know and love..."

I would think this is the same for .18x If anyone want to test and let me know I will update this sticky.

There are a few 4.7 themes that have no white bar issue on 5.0 OS

If you find any errors with this information send me a PM to let me know.

Thank You. Good Night.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 09-03-10 at 02:30 PM.
    09-04-09 01:34 AM
    I agree 110%... normally i just change the background image...
    09-04-09 01:38 AM
    I agree 110%... normally i just change the background image...
    140% agree ! but it's not a good news for Pro theme builders..LOL
    09-04-09 01:42 AM
    most themes seem to slow my phone down so I just use the original and change the pictures.
    09-04-09 02:02 AM
    on .191 and using a theme since day 1. no problems
    09-04-09 02:28 AM
    Thank god for this post! These are valid for hybrids as well. Refer to the radio file in use!
    09-04-09 02:32 AM
    i dont think i have noticed this....red lettering seems to mean ignore i think.......
    09-04-09 02:35 AM
    i dont think i have noticed this....red lettering seems to mean ignore i think.......
    I have to agree. I don't seem to have any problems with any theme I've tried on .151. Natemz themes seem to transition nicer than the default Zen on it and no noticable memory leaks, not that I ever really worry about those. Snake oil.
    09-04-09 03:14 AM
    You can't really enjoy the Storm if you don't have a theme running other than the stock theme. But that's just my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 09:17 AM
    I'm going to edit the thread title, move this to 95XX themes and sticky it for a while. Lets try to keep it updated also as other OSs leak.

Good POST!
    09-04-09 09:22 AM
    I agree and personally there aren't any themes that I like better than the default with background change. Thanks for putting it out there straight and to the point
    09-04-09 09:24 AM
    I have to agree. I don't seem to have any problems with any theme I've tried on .151. Natemz themes seem to transition nicer than the default Zen on it and no noticable memory leaks, not that I ever really worry about those. Snake oil.
    that totally went over your heard.....
    09-04-09 10:02 AM
    Changed some formatting and wording. I guess my info was all good as I didn't notice any correcting going on....
    09-04-09 11:02 AM
    Nice edits! Yes I felt it was good info and pretty dead on regarding the challenges of using themes on the Storm.
    09-04-09 01:50 PM
    Great post. thanks for aggregating and sharing.
    09-05-09 11:50 AM
    this stuff is crazy
    09-10-09 09:21 AM
    Now, it comes to conclusion after I had tried to find out. After install the theme Space Today Plus, I had problem on "no alert sound" from incoming msg or sms on the OS .164 and .167. I have been trying to work with it but after seeing this thread, I need to back off. Thanks for your info.
    09-18-09 02:07 AM
    I'm currently running OS .230 and every time i use a theme the media icons (such as pictures, music etc)folder always scatters out(as in there's no media folder anymore), so the icon for the media in the themes don't seem to work. Is there any way to fix this? Your help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by neilymb; 10-08-09 at 02:26 PM.
    10-08-09 02:24 PM
    I'm currently running OS .230 and every time i use a theme the media icons (such as pictures, music etc)folder always scatters out(as in there's no media folder anymore), so the icon for the media in the themes don't seem to work. Is there any way to fix this? Your help is much appreciated.
    I would like to know how as well.
    10-08-09 04:13 PM
    I am not sure which theme you guys are using...

Most of them I think if you add a Folder you can pick the skin for the Media Folder... I have done this on several themes. Let me know which ones give issues and I will check it out and update the first post. You then have to move all the "media" icons in to to the Media folder.

I think if the theme has a built in hidden hot spot/shortcut for Music or Media that it might be broken now because of the change to the media player.
    10-08-09 11:08 PM

Most of them I think if you add a Folder you can pick the skin for the Media Folder... I have done this on several themes. Let me know which ones give issues and I will check it out and update the first post. You then have to move all the "media" icons in to to the Media folder.

I think if the theme has a built in hidden hot spot/shortcut for Music or Media that it might be broken now because of the change to the media player.
    I'm currently using HTC Hero 95xx - EThemes(Free) ECruz &
    Mac OS Crystal by KD Storm Conversion if you could look into those 2 themes its would really help.
    10-09-09 12:39 AM

I can't vouch for a hidden hot spot/shortcut for Music or Media player that was broken but I noticed that the hot spot/shortcut for the SMS/MMS was broken until I realized that I had combined the shortcut with Messages and it was fixed after I separated them.
    10-13-09 10:11 AM
    can i send pms yet?
    10-17-09 02:53 PM
    I did not know this , have the same problems with email sms alerts + can,t change the Agenda with the Theme.
    The default theme works fine ....

After mails with theme developpers they don,t seem to know this ......
    But I see i am not the only one with this problem .... Grrrrr

I have Vodafone OS 4.7.0.181

Problem is that i need a today Agenda option, the see my month .....
    Last edited by AppsBerry; 10-18-09 at 09:34 AM.
    10-18-09 09:03 AM
    options for 9500 are 5.0.0.216

.151 if it is compatible and if it is not than you would have to go all the way back to .148

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 11:57 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD