Donation is fine, it's considered as charity work or community contributions.
    Well are donations illegal? If not then you can still get something out of it.
    02-12-09 12:15 AM
    Donation is fine, it's considered as charity work or community contributions.
    so per say if someone were do to donate to someone who made a theme do they get a tax write off as well??
    02-12-09 12:17 AM
    so per say if someone were do to donate to someone who made a theme do they get a tax write off as well??
    Good point. Yes but I think you need to register your organization and keep track of your receipts.
    02-12-09 12:22 AM
    buying themes is ridiculous anyway
    02-12-09 01:36 AM
    it makes sense when u really think about it. ur asking for peoples opinion on ur theme just like Plazmic is asking for our opinion of the new theme builder. if someone were to take the pics of ur them and release it and charge for it. u would be pretty pissed and want to sue them too. It the same principal, u cant really get mad a Plazmic for saying u cant make money off there demo version. Its for testing plain and simple. Beside the donation idea is better anyways. It allows people to set their own price and makes them feel better about supporting u. Also im noticing that Crackberry is like a extremely big family. We are all out here trying to help each other our for the most part and better our Blackberry community. So dont worry about charging pop that donation stamp on ur link and let the Crackberry community do there thing.
    02-12-09 05:10 AM
    buying themes is ridiculous anyway
    Yes i agree!! I mean if you wanna make donations go for it! But don't charge outrageous prices for a theme!
    02-12-09 06:14 AM
    funny how people want cash for an icon when entire operating systems plus contents are available for free.

AND then in this case, they are illegal software too. Most likely none of them use gimp but all illegal versions of photoshop.

A.... capitalism. Don't you just love it?!

(btw, I am no hair better myself) ;-)
    But we should all work together more, maybe one topic to create one massive super theme. Look at what stardock has done.... and skins for all sorts of players. All freely available for the most part.

Sure, if you put in a lot of work I can imagine you want some compensation for it. Honestly, I FEEL compelled to GIVE someone some money for their effort if they offer it for free. And I feel sort of.... well, there goes another greedy idi*t again... when I see a theme that's asked money for. Why.... I don't know. Just a feeling. Nothing rationalized
    Last edited by TheMisses; 02-12-09 at 08:23 AM.
    02-12-09 08:20 AM
    funny how people want cash for an icon when entire operating systems plus contents are available for free.

AND then in this case, they are illegal software too. Most likely none of them use gimp but all illegal versions of photoshop.

Paint.NET!
    02-12-09 08:22 AM
    You are using software that is LEAKED. It is not official, and you did not pay for it. I am sure somewhere in the licensing agreement that you clicked "I ACCEPT" to while installing, it stated something about not using the program commercially, or something to that extent.

It's legitimate for them to want to sue.
    You wont pay for it when it's official either. It's a free CDK.
    02-12-09 08:48 AM

But we should all work together more, maybe one topic to create one massive super theme. Look at what stardock has done.... and skins for all sorts of players. All freely available for the most part.

Sure, if you put in a lot of work I can imagine you want some compensation for it. Honestly, I FEEL compelled to GIVE someone some money for their effort if they offer it for free. And I feel sort of.... well, there goes another greedy idi*t again... when I see a theme that's asked money for. Why.... I don't know. Just a feeling. Nothing rationalized

I use gimp, tedious but yes its free and I don't feel like pirating software. Valid point though.
    02-12-09 08:59 AM
    Not gonna happen
    02-12-09 09:02 AM
    I thought this would be a no-brainer. Its non-commercial beta software.
    02-12-09 01:20 PM
    I'd like to bring attention to this thread again, as there has been a massive increase of people not only selling themes, but charging extortionate prices for them!
    02-13-09 09:31 AM
    I haven't created themes for BB yet, I've always done themes for WinMo devices. But, I can't understand how people are charging for themes to begin with? How much is involved with Plazmic?
    02-13-09 09:55 AM
    I haven't created themes for BB yet, I've always done themes for WinMo devices. But, I can't understand how people are charging for themes to begin with? How much is involved with Plazmic?
    Not a lot, unless you get into the composer side of things...

I think most people are selling to try and make a quick buck, and well, all of us are feeling the economy right now. And let's face it.... themes have been unavailable up until a couple days ago, and there are people out there who are willing to part with a few coffees to have a theme (anything) different on their Storm! Supply and Demand! People are willing to pay, so people are charging for them!

The ones that I think really deserve payment are those who create all their own icons and graphics from scratch (and not just cropping already made icon sets to fit) Even if I ever have enough time outside of my real job to cerate a whole icon set, I still don't think I'd charge for the theme.... I'd rather the recognition than the money personally.... then again, I have a fairly decent career in the military.
    02-13-09 10:54 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD