I'm in the process of making a new theme, but I'm curious as to whether if I'm breaking any rules. I have not created any of my own icons and they have all been found through deviantart.com. If I were to release my theme (I would not charge for it), would I be breaking any copyright rules or any rules for that matter?

Another question I have is how I go about tweaking the theme to run more smoothly on the phone. For the most part, everything looks great, but when I'm scrolling through the main menu, it tends to lag. Once I'm in the message folder or options menu, everything seems to run very smooth. Any ideas how to fix the lag?

Thank you all for your help! Hopefully, I will be able to release this theme I've been working on!
    02-15-09 06:05 PM
    Give credits to the owner of the graphics, and don't sell your theme.
    02-15-09 06:07 PM
    I'm in the process of making a new theme, but I'm curious as to whether if I'm breaking any rules. I have not created any of my own icons and they have all been found through deviantart.com. If I were to release my theme (I would not charge for it), would I be breaking any copyright rules or any rules for that matter?
    As long as you give the original artists credit for the icons, you should be fine. If you choose to charge for your theme later, then you might want to contact the designer of the icons and ask about rights and possible costs for using their work in a commercial version of your theme.
    02-15-09 06:08 PM
    the lag issue will be resolved with a genuine release of plazmic im sure, as this seems to be an intermitent issue with different versions of the firmware on the phone!
    02-15-09 06:08 PM
    message the creator and make sure its ok as well, some dev art members don't like giving their stuff away regardless of whether you are doing it for profit or not.
    02-15-09 06:09 PM
    Sell it if you wish...even if you do get icons from somewhere else you will have to make many more icons as pc icons and iphone icons are different from blackberry icons so you will still have to put alot of work into the design.

Goodluck with your themes
    02-15-09 06:10 PM
    dude he cant sell it if its not his work, especially without permission! you're such a tool
    02-15-09 06:12 PM
    its not just ... like you are pissing me off,

License for Software.

(a) Plazmic hereby grants to you a temporary, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty free license to use the Software, and to develop Content solely for the purpose of, and to the extent necessary to, enable you to complete the Pilot Test. The Software may be used solely for the purpose of developing Content manually and cannot be used for operating a commercial service involving automated or programmatic transcoding. Any right or license granted to you pursuant to this Agreement will automatically terminate upon the expiration or termination of the Pilot Test.

(b) You may only use the Content for your own internal purposes in furtherance of the Pilot Test and may not distribute or otherwise make available the Content to any third parties.
    Last edited by JeffH; 02-15-09 at 09:24 PM. Reason: language
    02-15-09 06:17 PM
    Thanks for the quick responses! If I were to release this theme, I would NOT charge a penny for it since all I'm doing is finding, downloading, and resizing icons. My only intentions were to create this for my own personal use, but I noticed a lot of people releasing their work for free and figured I would join the fun. Anyway, I downloaded icons from all over deviantart and it will probably take awhile for me to get all of their permissions if I get any at all. So I'm not too sure when I would be able to release this for you guys.

I guess that leads me to another question.. would I at least be able to post a preview of what the theme is looking like right now without their permission? I really don't want to bend any rules since the majority of this theme is not my work besides tweaking it.
    02-15-09 06:19 PM
    Sell it if you wish...even if you do get icons from somewhere else you will have to make many more icons as pc icons and iphone icons are different from blackberry icons so you will still have to put alot of work into the design.

Goodluck with your themes
    Dude you need to get some kind of help. You just told the man to do something illegal. The minute you take something from someone else and try and distribute it without their consent or you acknowledging them doing it, it is called copyright infringement. And then once you start making money off of it you must pay royalties and such.

To the OP if you decide to use the theme and distribute it, give acknowledgment to the creator of the icons. If you sell it first contact the originator and make sure its okay and see about giving him royalties.

It is a serious offense to steal ones hard work and make profits for yourself especially if you have been caught doing it.

OP please be smart with what you are doing and make sure you have permission from the artist before distributing.
    02-15-09 06:29 PM
    Dude you need to get some kind of help. You just told the man to do something illegal. The minute you take something from someone else and try and distribute it without their consent or you acknowledging them doing it, it is called copyright infringement..
    Aside from the "copyright infringement" angle, if someone GAVE you something for free, anything, a car, computer, whatever, and you sell it, is that wrong?? Of course not.

There are a boatload of iPhone themes freely available on the installer. I personally dont see how its illegal to take something that was free, repackage it, and then sell it.

And I just want to tell everyone: Thank you so much!! Have yourself a wonderful day!!
    02-15-09 06:33 PM
    Dude you need to get some kind of help. You just told the man to do something illegal. The minute you take something from someone else and try and distribute it without their consent or you acknowledging them doing it, it is called copyright infringement. And then once you start making money off of it you must pay royalties and such.

To the OP if you decide to use the theme and distribute it, give acknowledgment to the creator of the icons. If you sell it first contact the originator and make sure its okay and see about giving him royalties.

It is a serious offense to steal ones hard work and make profits for yourself especially if you have been caught doing it.

OP please be smart with what you are doing and make sure you have permission from the artist before distributing.
    I'm not sure why everyone is thinking I have intentions on selling my theme because I have stated in here twice that I'm not even thinking about charging for the theme. I realize that this is in no way my own work besides small tweaks and basically putting it all together. So once again for the third time (I'm not trying to be rude at all), I WILL NOT SELL THIS THEME UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. I just need to make that very clear for everyone reading this thread.
    02-15-09 06:37 PM
    Oh and can we all stop yelling at one another about copy infringement. I'm going to go the route of contacting the original creators of the icons and seeing if I can get their permission to release this theme as long as it is free.

Oh and it looks like no one has been able to answer this question yet so let me ask this again.. Am I able to show a preview of the theme without any permissions from the creators of the icons? I would not release it to anyone, but just show people the preview of what it may look like when finally released.
    02-15-09 06:45 PM
    im sure if you link and credit any individuals work used in the theme, it shouldnt be a problem posting a preview, but should they ask you to remove it you would have to imediately!
    02-15-09 06:46 PM
    im sure if you link and credit any individuals work used in the theme, it shouldnt be a problem posting a preview, but should they ask you to remove it you would have to imediately!
    Thanks man! I'll have to go searching deviantart all over again to find the original creators haha Oh well.. it's all worth it to me as long as I'm doing it the right way
    02-15-09 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD