I have created a theme for low-light conditions inspired in part by the bedside clock mode, and some of the other cool themes I've seen floating around here. This is a nice theme for dark wallpapers, and being that it's black - I figure it does the blackberry better justice than an iphone theme .

I downloaded the vista icon pack to use for the primary most-used icons (contacts, tools, calendar, messages, folder, calculator, clock, music, help, search, etc) and modified them in psp so that they appear dimmed until you select it. Once you select one of the modified icons - it lights up.

The glass backing for the bottom grid and upper banner is completely transparent (no shaded bars on homescreen). This gives wallpapers more 'breathing room' and makes the lit up icons stand out more.

The fonts have been adjusted to look dimmer.

The sound button (in normal mode) has been dimmed.

Phone's incoming calls and active call screen have been modified to the onyx theme. I was unable to modify the dialpad though.

A few other things that I was unable to change that will still be bright are backgrounds to: email/word documents, contact list, option screen, and 3rd party icons like weatherbug were not modified. But I think the night icon for weatherbug looks sorta cool being lit up. Third party apps or other icons that look out of place can be moved to their respective folders.

Icon placement can be changed to your liking. I had to move some icons around after I installed. The 2 row grid depicted can also be changed to either single row or 3 rows.

Anyhow - this theme is free for whoever wants it. I thought about charging, but decided I didn't want to mess with the hassle of tweaking it to whoever and everybody's tastes and spending more hours trying to work out whatever small bugs.

I just have no idea how to go about hosting it or doing the OTA thing. If anybody is interested in this theme or wants to point me in the right direction I will be glad to upload it.

I also made a today theme, but still need to test it out.....

The OTA thing is turning out to be more of a PITA than I thought it would be. So I went ahead and uploaded to megaupload. These are the APX files that you will need to load through the application loader in desktop manager (Not OTA links).

Today
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Zen
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Let me know how this works. Thanks!
    Last edited by oblivion77; 02-16-09 at 09:27 AM. Reason: To add download links
    02-15-09 09:52 AM
    That looks amazing, nice job!!
    02-15-09 09:57 AM
    very nice theme
    02-15-09 10:14 AM
    Awesome work! Sent you a PM.
    02-15-09 10:16 AM
    Thanks guys - I'm doing a little tweaking to the Today theme, but I tested it to see how it works and I think I like I like the Today theme a little better than Zen.

If any of you guys know how to host OTA I will try to set that up to make it easier for everybody. Thanks
    02-15-09 10:35 AM
    If any of you guys know how to host OTA I will try to set that up to make it easier for everybody. Thanks
    Hosting OTA is simple if you have your own webhosted account somewhere, preferably on a Unix/Linux server. Just put the .jad and all of the associated .cod files into the same subdirectory, add this .htaccess file with contents of:

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod

...create a html page with a link to the .jad file, and FTP upload in Binary mode all of the files to that subdirectory. Hope this helped.
    02-15-09 10:41 AM
    Great theme. I love the "business" look. Espescially the today screen is fantastic
    02-15-09 10:43 AM
    Thanks Jubz

I don't have a site like that set up and don't really feel like going to that effort. If anybody would like to host this for me and is interested in this theme - let me know and I will do a one-time customization (i.e. today theme) for whoever hosts.
    02-15-09 10:44 AM
    Where's the network indicator (1XEV)? I don't see that in the shots. That's very important for users to know what current status their connection is in.
    02-15-09 10:49 AM
    Where's the network indicator (1XEV)? I don't see that in the shots. That's very important for users to know what current status their connection is in.
    I never paid any attention to it - but if it's fairly important for somebody to have it I can add it in. I just tried to streamline the interface as much as possible.
    02-15-09 11:01 AM
    I should also point out that the browser icon is actually a globe similar to the one in the map icon (but without the screen in front). Not sure why plazmic has the standard browser icon in that menu image.
    02-15-09 11:04 AM
    Finished Today version. And as requested - I added in the network indicator.

02-15-09 11:39 AM
    Looks great!
    02-15-09 12:13 PM
    Are you going to skin all of the icons such as memo pad, passwords, etc... (or am I not remembering the standard zen correctly?)
    02-15-09 12:14 PM
    Great work
    02-15-09 03:55 PM
    Nice theme. If you need me to post an ota link for you just send me the jad files and I will give you the link.

Shayne
    BBTC
    02-15-09 03:57 PM
    Beautiful theme. How do I get it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 03:59 PM
    i need this theme!!!!! it looks really good man. hopefully we can get a OTA link up soon!!!!!!
    02-15-09 04:04 PM
    nice work. a professional business today theme will always be in demand. Liked your initial today screen with the contact icon on the bottom rather than the upper left. When you release, can you make them both available?

again, nice work.
    02-15-09 04:07 PM
    Well done,clean and simple.
    02-15-09 04:13 PM
    I like it...
    02-15-09 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the comments guys. I want to throw a few more modified icons and check with Shayne regarding the OTA hosting. Then I'll get the link up as soon as this is wrapped up.
    02-15-09 05:39 PM
    very nice icons and i agree way better than having an iphone theme. way to go man.
    02-15-09 05:50 PM
    Any chance we can get this for the 8330?
    02-15-09 05:57 PM
    I have put the finishing touches down for both the zen and the today theme. I found that I can in fact change the background for applications (contact list, viewing messages), but word documents and creating messages/emails still have white screen. Hopefully the final version of plazmic allows us to modify the dial pad. I would like to make that black as well.

Today theme revised with contacts icon at bottom

More icons (browser icon is actually a globe - for some reason this doesn't change on the plazmic screen for screen capture)

Last edited by oblivion77; 02-15-09 at 08:05 PM.
    02-15-09 07:55 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD