I mostly hold my phone in landscape except when I am actually talking on the phone, or previewing my messages or schedule.

Is it possible to make a theme centered on a landscape profile?

I'm imagine something like a regular theme even, just with the Icons turned 90 degrees, and the today/messages turned 90 degrees. I tend to hold my Storm with the buttons in my right hand...

Perhaps have the icons scroll up and down on the right side (buttons side) as well, then when you hit the berry button or click the activation area, it changes to the full landscape mode like we now have.

Professional looking theme of course!

--> Update.

With the arrival of
    Storm Rotation Wizard
    -and-
    Stop Tilt
    this seems like it should be more of a possibility, anyone care to give it a whirl?
    Last edited by Cxan; 05-14-09 at 06:48 PM. Reason: new info
    03-05-09 11:36 PM
    I don't think it can work....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 11:49 PM
    I don't think it can work....

Not possible.

Not allowed by Plazmic
    03-05-09 11:59 PM
    I wish. Maybe eventually.
    03-06-09 12:21 AM
    Ok somebody make it happen.

There must be another way besides plasmic.
    03-06-09 08:52 AM
    you cant just disable the accelerometer
    03-06-09 10:37 AM
    Wouldn't want it disabled.
    03-06-09 11:04 AM
    Looking into creating something like this next. Will let you know how it turns out. Certain things won't work, but I'll let you know.

03-06-09 11:22 AM
    dont know much about the programming part of things but common sense says if they built it to come this far than going further shouldnt be a problem.im sure at some level software engineers have made stuff for landscape mode whether it be for the purpose of a beta or just screwin around in their spare time.i have to assume with experimentation comes discovery whether planned or not.i personally would like to see some more user friendly themes as far as options for personal touches and yes a landscape orientated theme. just have to wait to see what the future holds.
    03-06-09 11:24 AM
    Looking into creating something like this next. Will let you know how it turns out. Certain things won't work, but I'll let you know.
    Excellent.

...im sure at some level software engineers have made stuff for landscape mode whether it be for the purpose of a beta or just screwin around in their spare time.i have to assume with experimentation comes discovery whether planned or not...
    Yeah, I'm hopin'.

I'm thinking I should suggest the functionality to Plasmic.
    Last edited by Cxan; 03-06-09 at 11:28 AM.
    03-06-09 11:25 AM
    Yes it might work like epicfailure stated above. For the theme developers: if you look in composer at custom events you should be able to show your customized icons in landscape view. You can also set the icons to activate when you turn into landscape mode. Its takes a lot of fiddling around but well worth the time.

03-06-09 11:30 AM
    my only gripe with themes right now is just not being able to change any other wallpapers except on homescreen. i love all the themes i have gotten from here ,i just want to spice them up my own way.any way to do this now with plazmic? (ive downloaded plazmic,have zip nadda clue what im doing with it) lol

or i should say any way to add options for the user to use as far as the theme goes?
    03-06-09 11:44 AM
    Yup. Themeclones, mind if I pm u later as far as svgs go?

03-06-09 11:46 AM
    Not yet strmtrooper. Sorry.

03-06-09 11:47 AM
    Yup. Themeclones, mind if I pm u later as far as svgs go?

No problem.

03-06-09 11:48 AM
    Sweet, thanks.

To all interested, what would you generally like the theme to look like? I know I'm no expert, but take a look at "For the love of words - Wordy" and let me know what you think. I've since updated to a larger icon set. Still though, I was thinking something along the lines of no text under icons again, but maybe with some clean symmetrical box icons, with an abbreviation of some sort.

03-06-09 12:01 PM
    Yes it might work like epicfailure stated above. For the theme developers: if you look in composer at custom events you should be able to show your customized icons in landscape view. You can also set the icons to activate when you turn into landscape mode. Its takes a lot of fiddling around but well worth the time.

is there a theme that DOES THIS?
    03-06-09 12:09 PM
    is there a theme that DOES THIS?

You will see a lot of themes with this feature if the theme developers will start to use Composer along with theme builder. It's possible. They just have to create it. Of course there are limitations to it, but the tool is there to do it.
    03-06-09 12:18 PM
    interestingggg I think I'll start looking into this...

I also have a feeling that with the release of an official plazmic set we'll be able to do this a bit easier, like change home screen from portrait to landscape.
    03-06-09 12:28 PM
    Sweet, thanks.

To all interested, what would you generally like the theme to look like? ...
    Something like this...

(this is just a 'shopped mock-up)

Weather Icon top left
    Berry button opens full application view like we currently see in landscape.

Static icons on the left, that can display thier (hidden) context in the message area, With an up/down scrollbar (the natural thumb motion) on the Right.
    -or-
    Static icons left, hidden tab (like android) on right.

Hidden today area with standard four icons on right would work too I guess.

Feel free to think way outside the box though! Vista style tool widget on one edge? Styled like the pipboy theme? Various status icons in different corners? User placeable icons in corners w/ no other icon bar on the screen?

Simply put though, I would like it to have a home screen in landscape like it currently does in portrait. It seems to me that icons along the sides where your thumbs are is a natural position for landscape view.
    Last edited by Cxan; 03-06-09 at 03:48 PM. Reason: more:
    03-06-09 03:45 PM
    Something like this...

(this is just a 'shopped mock-up)

Weather Icon top left
    Berry button opens full application view like we currently see in landscape.

Static icons on the left, that can display thier (hidden) context in the message area, With an up/down scrollbar (the natural thumb motion) on the Right.
    -or-
    Static icons left, hidden tab (like android) on right.

Hidden today area with standard four icons on right would work too I guess.

Feel free to think way outside the box though! Vista style tool widget on one edge? Styled like the pipboy theme? Various status icons in different corners? User placeable icons in corners w/ no other icon bar on the screen?

Simply put though, I would like it to have a home screen in landscape like it currently does in portrait. It seems to me that icons along the sides where your thumbs are is a natural position for landscape view.
    It looks like everything is off center.
    03-06-09 04:10 PM
    It looks like everything is off center.
    Yeah, This is not an attempt at a real theme, I just cut and pasted some icons onto a black background, the gray stripe just indicates the edge of a scroll area.
    Last edited by Cxan; 03-06-09 at 04:43 PM.
    03-06-09 04:28 PM
    just got home, so will start tinkering with this. Just a heads up though, a today area will not be possible. The only way for that to be possible would be if we were able to lock the phone to a certain orientation. The way that I am thinking about creating a theme like this is sort of "tricking" the device, and certain things will be missing. Let me fiddle around though.
    03-06-09 05:22 PM
    Epic....let me beta test

03-06-09 08:00 PM
    i'll beta test this too once you get it!
    03-06-09 08:04 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD