OK, I know this is a n00b question, but how do you put a new theme up on a web site? I don't just mean here (though that would be nice), but on any type of web site (forum, html page, ftp?). I just can't seem to figure it out.

I did the obligatory search of the forum for clues, but couldn't find anything in the first 200 thread result titles I checked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Scott
    08-30-09 06:19 PM
    Scott,

Here's the scoop....

After you make the OTA download files, simply FTP them to a directory on your host server. Wherever you may already have webpages loaded. Depending on the complexity of the theme, app, weblink, etc. there will most likely be multiple files. If you use Plazmic they will be named:

com_plazmic_theme_xxxxxxxxx.jad
    com_plazmic_theme_xxxxxxxxx.cod
    com_plazmic_theme_xxxxxxxxx-1.cod
    com_plazmic_theme_xxxxxxxxx-2.cod
    etc
    etc where xxxxxxxxx is your theme filename.

There could be 12-15 files in all depending on complexity.

Now that all those files are copied to your hosting site, you create a link on one of you web pages that points to the .jad file. Once someone clicks on the link, it will know to grab all the others.

That is the easy part. This next part is not difficult if you are familiar with setting up a website and have access to your hosting account. There is a parameter called MIME types which essentially is a map that tells the clients browser what type of file to expect with a certain file extension. (ie .doc means its a Word file, .txt is a plain text file, an .mp3 is an audio file.

You can either add the MIME types yourself or if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself you can ask your hosting provider to do it for you. These are the mime types that must be added.

Type Extension
    application/java-archive jar
    application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    audio/adpcm adp
    text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad

So this associates any .jad file as a java descriptor file, any .jar file as a Java archive file, .cod as a RIM application (loose term), and any .adp file as and audio file. The .jar and .adp may not be necessary but I was told to put them in and it surely wont hurt to do it while you're in there. One or more may already be in there.

Now, anytime someone clicks on your link, it will grab the .jad file, know its a descriptor file that defines all the rest of the necessary files (the .cod files) and it continues to download the remaining .cod files until complete.

I hope this helps and its not too confusing.

Take Care.
    08-30-09 08:15 PM
    Kevin,

Thanks for the prompt response! That was a big help getting me going in the right direction. I was missing the .htaccess part with the mime types so the Storm would start the install process.

Scott
    08-31-09 01:21 PM
    kevin & scott, i've edited the mime type on my site admin panel but i keep getting connection timeout

what should i do?
    09-17-09 12:52 AM
    A connection timeout indicates a different type of problem. One thing I would double check though is to make sure that you don't have any typos in your .htaccess file.

You could also verify that your hosting company supports end-user .htaccess files.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

Scott
    09-17-09 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD