I guess one part of me is not against people trying to make a dollar on their hard work. The only thing I ask is be honest. This whole donate to me and I will send you a link is seriously BS. What you are really saying is that my theme is for sale and we have to guess the price. I really appreciate those who are up front and say look I am college a student I would appreciate your donations, that flies with me. There are others who try to sucker me into purchasing something that I havent even really tried out by calling it a donation. Folks we are not suckers call what it is "buy at your own risk".
    03-08-09 08:32 PM
    Actually, most of the ones taking donations are only giving special early releases to the donaters. Others get it free a short period of time later. There are some exceptions that I will agree with only taking donations to send you a product period (iChrome v2 and v3 for example).

However, those like hastings and elycruz are the exception. They make outstanding themes and are fully deserving of the donations.
    03-08-09 08:36 PM
    I agree with hastings and elycruz making great themes and there are others, maybe it was the iChrome that got me in the curmudgeon mood.

Actually, most of the ones taking donations are only giving special early releases to the donaters. Others get it free a short period of time later. There are some exceptions that I will agree with only taking donations to send you a product period (iChrome v2 and v3 for example).

However, those like hastings and elycruz are the exception. They make outstanding themes and are fully deserving of the donations.
    03-08-09 08:39 PM
    Stuff like the iChrome system definitely rubs me the wrong way. It's not "donate to the humane society and get a free t-shirt." It's for sale but getting around people saying "$7 for a beta theme?!?!?!"

And before anyone says it, you're right, if I don't like it I don't have to do it. And I won't.
    03-08-09 08:41 PM
    Charging for themes that are virtually easy as **** to make doesn't make sense, yea, i'll never make a high tech bad *** theme like some people do, but it only takes me like a couple hours to make a basic theme. I'll never charge or ask for donations, but mine suck so no one will probably want them
    03-08-09 09:02 PM
    Im getting ready to shove out my first theme with donation, wonder if it will be worth even putting the button up?
    03-08-09 09:13 PM
    I never bought a theme until a few weeks back. The theme builder had releases several themes for free and modding 3 to my liking all with out charging me. I eventually gave him $10 bucks and hea was so happy that he made 2 more themes for me without charge. And whene ever he develops a new theme he lets me test it and listens to my feed back and even gives me the theme for free. Yes I will gladly donate to him cause that's the type of person that I look forward to doing business with.
    03-08-09 09:18 PM
    Im getting ready to shove out my first theme with donation, wonder if it will be worth even putting the button up?
    Put a donation button up, just don't make it a mandatory donation. Mandatory donation = purchase!
    03-08-09 09:25 PM
    I put a donation link on my two themes so far, but I highly doubt I'd ever see a single one. I would only ask for a fee/donation if someone asked for a modified version outside of one I've already released, or an extremely custom theme. I don't really consider mine to be all that elaborate yet anyways, as they're both based on the Zen theme. I'm going to have a go at a custom one tomorrow.
    03-08-09 11:13 PM
    as a college student/theme dev i put a link in and ask graciously for a donation......after 3000 downloads (of only DM btw, i can only image the number with OTAs) i got 2 donations....TWO!......i put a lot of time into my themes so that was tough for me......but most people will asume other people donate so they don't have to.....people please dont do this....i make themes i think are top quality (i come short of E and Hastings and ThemeClones but i consider myself close to the next tier).....i do not want to charge for my themes, in all my themes i state that all of them are up free of charge, but if you download my theme and truly like it and plan on using it, to please consider a donation.....paypal takes as low as 3 bucks.....thats less then a sandwich.....i am just posting this because it is a downer to put so much time into a theme....see great posts on how everyone likes it, and get nothing in return......i am building themes because i enjoy it, but i am planing on only one more theme right now because i am getting posts saying "do this version" or another, but nothing besides requests (i love getting the feedback, dont get me wrong)

I hope that doesnt sound like a rant.....just sharing my opinion......i build themes and hope that if people really like them for them to consider a meager (spelled wrong?) 3 dollar donation or more.....i am very thankful for those who have donated!

I have also stopped doing custom themes for people as for those i do charge.... in a way.....i allow the customer to pick his/her price after he/she has tested the theme out.......but i have had 3 people now not send anything (its 3 bucks) my way.....but what is worse is they message saying "great i love the theme, donation sent".....paypal alerts me when a payment is sent.....i didnt get it....paypal isnt wrong....nice job scammer. I tried to offer a nice service to people so they could try their theme out, let me know of any adjustments they want, and then choose their own price, and people took advantage.

It is sad that people (devs and customers alike) are so cheap. I am currently building my (possible) last theme, entitled Rhythmic, which has a very uniqe home screen style, and i intend for the theme to be competition for the great devs out there.....but i have (for now) decided to stop after this one because of the time it takes and the little return.

end rant? haha....just letting everyone know that devs are getting screwed too.....keep on posting devs! i love to see other great works out there and have DLed many to look them over. dont let those scammers get you down! (like me haha)

Cheers all, and look for some pics of Rhythmic early next week.
    Last edited by Philster9; 03-09-09 at 01:28 AM.
    03-09-09 01:24 AM
    thank you for posting - I think the developers that I have downloaded their themes know how much I appreciate them. 3 bucks is an insult, and not giving anything when they promise they would is flat out recockulious!
    My beef is not directed at you but its simply dont hold me hostage for a theme by making a donation before you give me the ota link. If the dev wants to sell it then be up front no need to blow smoke up my skirt and sugar couat the cost as a donation. </rant>

as a college student/theme dev i put a link in and ask graciously for a donation......after 3000 downloads (of only DM btw, i can only image the number with OTAs) i got 2 donations....TWO!......i put a lot of time into my themes so that was tough for me......but most people will asume other people donate so they don't have to.....people please dont do this....i make themes i think are top quality (i come short of E and Hastings and ThemeClones but i consider myself close to the next tier).....i do not want to charge for my themes, in all my themes i state that all of them are up free of charge, but if you download my theme and truly like it and plan on using it, to please consider a donation.....paypal takes as low as 3 bucks.....thats less then a sandwich somewhere.....i am just posting this because it is a downer to put so much time into a theme....see great posts on how everyone likes it, and get nothing in return......i am building themes because i enjoy it, but i am planing on only one more theme right now because i am getting nothing in return.

I hope that doesnt sound like a rant.....just sharing my opinion......i build themes and hope that if people really like them for them to consider a meager (spelled wrong?) 3 dollar donation or more.....i am very thankful for those who have donated!

I have also stopped doing custom themes for people as for those i do charge in a way.....i allow the customer to pick his/her price after he/she has tested the theme out.......but i have had 3 people now not send 3 bucks (or more) my way.....but what is worse is they message saying "great i love the theme, donation sent".....paypal alerts me when a payment is sent.....didnt get it....nice job scammer. I tried to offer a nice service to people so they could try their theme out, let me know of any adjustments they want, and then choose their own price, and people couldnt even give 3 bucks.

It is sad that people (devs and customers alike) are so cheap. I am currently building my (possible) last theme, entitled Rhythmic, which has a very uniqe home screen style, and i intend for the theme to be competition for the great devs out there.....but i have (for now) decided to stop after this one because of the time it takes and the little return.

end rant? haha....just letting everyone know that devs are getting screwed too.....keep on posting devs! i love to see other great works out there and have DLed many to look them over.

03-09-09 01:30 AM
    Ok so my rant isn't over what really made me mad was someone had stolen someone else's icons and then made a theme calling it their own and charged 7 bucks! That totally sucked!!!
    03-09-09 01:32 AM
    oh i agree.....i know this wasnt directed towards devs like me.....but one thing is some people do want to charge but arent sure how to get their themes into the store perhaps? everyone has their reasons.....the donation for a theme as payment is the next best plan.

I personally would not flat out buy a theme without getting to test it first....i was thinking of building a very watered down version of my themes with watermarks everywhere so people could test a theme out before buying.....but in actuallity no one would wanna go thru that hassle....i have accepted i am not going to get anywhere trying to charge....i am just relying on the public to not expect everyone else to do the donating.....its 3 bucks....im sure if u have a storm you can spare it.
    03-09-09 01:33 AM
    haha that sucks.....i looked at some of the premium iphone themes and built my own and i cant really tell them appart. some functionality probably isnt there....but in a day i built something similar. its those devs (everyone knows who) who have a great understanding of the SVG/Creator program that can turn out great new ideas.....i have a very simple "new" idea that i needed help with building, so those devs that go nuts with such unique tools deserve their ability to charge......i do not....but a little return shouldnt be much to ask. (tho i must say doing custom themes for a small fee raked in a good amount before i started getting scammed.....i have actually seen someone who i made a theme for post that he wants the same style theme and is willing to pay.....he didnt pay me.....he wont pay them)
    03-09-09 01:36 AM
    With good there is the bad, I usually try the themes out and if I like it then I donate, if I don't like it I delete it!! Pretty simple really. I know there are some out there who just want freebies and don't really care about anyone else's time. So, just ignore the crooks and praise the hard efforts of a true crackberry enthusist
    03-09-09 02:05 AM
    This is truly a two sided debate. Developers versus Non Developers. I personally put in 5-6 hours a day creating the next big thing. And I constantly sit down and think...should I make this one free...But then, I get an email from paypal telling me I just made $15 bucks. The fact is, I don't know how to put something up on the crackberry store otherwise I would. Also, I can't figure out how to make a Pay Now button through Paypal so I don't have that available either. I call my payments donations because if I say it is a payment and all I have is a donate link then people are gonna be like wtf?

You can also ask anyone else out there, I have the best customer service out there. If you order a theme from me, I get it to you in less than 30 minutes. If I can't I email you letting you know why I can't and when to expect it. I offer complete customizations of my themes which I also think is a unique trait. I am a college student and I consider this my job and I have made more doing this than my ******* job at Hollister.

So in summary, I personally think that your interaction with me and donation to me is for my dedication to you the blackberry user. If you are not satisfied I will fix it until you are. That experience most people say is priceless and that is why I charge. I'm sorry if it upsets you.
    03-09-09 02:25 AM
    as a college student/theme dev i put a link in and ask graciously for a donation......after 3000 downloads (of only DM btw, i can only image the number with OTAs) i got 2 donations....TWO!......i put a lot of time into my themes so that was tough for me......but most people will asume other people donate so they don't have to.....people please dont do this....i make themes i think are top quality (i come short of E and Hastings and ThemeClones but i consider myself close to the next tier).....i do not want to charge for my themes, in all my themes i state that all of them are up free of charge, but if you download my theme and truly like it and plan on using it, to please consider a donation.....paypal takes as low as 3 bucks.....thats less then a sandwich.....i am just posting this because it is a downer to put so much time into a theme....see great posts on how everyone likes it, and get nothing in return......i am building themes because i enjoy it, but i am planing on only one more theme right now because i am getting posts saying "do this version" or another, but nothing besides requests (i love getting the feedback, dont get me wrong)

I have also stopped doing custom themes for people as for those i do charge.... in a way.....i allow the customer to pick his/her price after he/she has tested the theme out.......but i have had 3 people now not send anything (its 3 bucks) my way.....but what is worse is they message saying "great i love the theme, donation sent".....paypal alerts me when a payment is sent.....i didnt get it....paypal isnt wrong....nice job scammer. I tried to offer a nice service to people so they could try their theme out, let me know of any adjustments they want, and then choose their own price, and people took advantage.

end rant? haha....just letting everyone know that devs are getting screwed too.....keep on posting devs! i love to see other great works out there and have DLed many to look them over. dont let those scammers get you down! (like me haha)

That is just sad. Am I really in the minority of the CB community? I have sent donations for free stuff to the devs (unless my pregnancy-crippled brain forgot to do after I balanced the checkbook). I really feel if I am going to use something that someone else took the time and energy to crank out (which I am too tired these days to even attempt)...it is worthy of a donation, even if nothing else than to encourage the dev to keep going.

This is truly a two sided debate. Developers versus Non Developers. I personally put in 5-6 hours a day creating the next big thing. And I constantly sit down and think...should I make this one free...But then, I get an email from paypal telling me I just made $15 bucks. The fact is, I don't know how to put something up on the crackberry store otherwise I would. Also, I can't figure out how to make a Pay Now button through Paypal so I don't have that available either. I call my payments donations because if I say it is a payment and all I have is a donate link then people are gonna be like wtf?

You can also ask anyone else out there, I have the best customer service out there. If you order a theme from me, I get it to you in less than 30 minutes. If I can't I email you letting you know why I can't and when to expect it. I offer complete customizations of my themes which I also think is a unique trait. I am a college student and I consider this my job and I have made more doing this than my ******* job at Hollister.

So in summary, I personally think that your interaction with me and donation to me is for my dedication to you the blackberry user. If you are not satisfied I will fix it until you are. That experience most people say is priceless and that is why I charge. I'm sorry if it upsets you.
    I can definitely attest as one of your customers, I have been extremely satisfied. Your themes are of the few that don't cause me headaches from constant battery pulls and other glitches.

Also- BboyerUGA DOES have iChrome v1 available as a truly free OTA download to test drive.
    03-09-09 09:38 AM
    How do you decide who to donate to??? I cant afford to donate $7 to every theme maker for every theme that I download. Is a one time donation good or do you guys expect a donation for every theme?? Im not being a smart a**, just asking.
    03-09-09 01:55 PM
    I see nothing wrong with a donation
    03-10-09 01:08 AM
    I totally agree with the donation thing. I do have a button (well, text link), but got only one 2.00 donation... that's it! And it was from a theme that I got swindled over. I was requested to do custom work to make a theme, and the agreed price was 15.00 - this was a new theme from scratch and they were to get the thm file as well as the DM files. When they didn't pay for it and I never heard from them again, I posted it for everyone to download, and I got ONE 2.00 donation for it. Thank you to whoever it was who donated that! I can buy a coffee now!
    03-10-09 05:05 AM
    There is another side to this as well, people promising to make donations after stating "this is the best theme ever" or people who have contacted me privately saying that if I port my theme to the Bold, 8900 or 83XX that they will make a donation. Something like 6+ people (a small number I know) have done this to me so far.

The thing is I don't expect anything and am more than happy when people just post saying how much they love the theme. What I don't appreciate is people making promises that they have no intention of keeping. Especially those who duped me into porting my theme. People have got to realise that while 99% of theme devs are happy making free themes there is a lot of work goes into each theme especially when it comes to full customization (new icons etc etc).

My original GoW theme took around 10 hours to complete (this includes learning Plazmic in the first place) but then I ultimately made the theme for myself and was kind enough to share. The 9000 and 8900 versions took about 1.5hours each to port, with the 83XX version taking about 3 hours to port (working with the 83XX is a pain). Would I have ported them to a phone I don't own if people hadn't contacted me promising a donation for the port? Possibly not. I am also extremely busy at work putting in 12+ hour days and 6 day weeks, so I really didn't have time to make the ports (although I did need to unwind after a long day at work) so the ports were finished at about 4 in the morning.

My next theme will still be free, i'll still include a donate button, but it will be Storm only.

Wow, glad I got that off my chest
    03-10-09 05:31 AM
    How do you decide who to donate to??? I cant afford to donate $7 to every theme maker for every theme that I download. Is a one time donation good or do you guys expect a donation for every theme?? Im not being a smart a**, just asking.
    Nobody would expect you to donate for every theme you download. I'd say that if there is a theme that you know you are going to keep as your main theme for sometime to come, and you're thinking "wow, this was free?" you might want to think about donating.

More importantly if you like a theme post saying thank you, it's often more than enough for most theme makers and makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside

Never post saying you're going to make a donation and then don't, because then you're just a word beginning with C that I'm not allowed to post here
    03-10-09 05:38 AM
    I totally agree with the donation thing. I do have a button (well, text link), but got only one 2.00 donation... that's it! And it was from a theme that I got swindled over. I was requested to do custom work to make a theme, and the agreed price was 15.00 - this was a new theme from scratch and they were to get the thm file as well as the DM files. When they didn't pay for it and I never heard from them again, I posted it for everyone to download, and I got ONE 2.00 donation for it. Thank you to whoever it was who donated that! I can buy a coffee now!
    Maybe we should start a name and shame thread, so that other devs know who to avoid when receiving PMs for custom themes
    03-10-09 05:43 AM
    I made my first donation last night to get in early on a super nice theme here, I sent $10, it was worth it and helps show appreciation to the dev.

I wouldn't have to as I am a pretty skilled designer, just those damn kids keep me so busy i dont have time to sit down and put a theme together....lmao
    03-10-09 07:20 AM
    Yeah but Synergie you had some guy profess his love to you LOL that had to have been worth more than any donation, definitely more than two bucks.

03-10-09 07:37 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD