Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask a question for all of you using the official .328 and themes. It seems to me that when I am using the stock Precision Zen theme, my memory holds fairly steady througout the day. As soon as I switch to a theme though, my memory plummets like a rock. I wanted to find out from some other theme users if they are experiencing the same issues. I'm finding that even themes I used on 4.7 which I had no memory issues with are draining my memory like mad.

I'm not sure if this is due to the Plazmic creator not really being ready for 5.0, or if my OS install is botched. Since I don't leak with the default theme, I am kind of ruling out the latter. I just wanted to ask if anyone was having a similar experience with themes and their huge memory usage.

Thanks,
    -KZ
    10-29-09 11:17 AM
    I have found my memory to be much more stable in regards to themes other than the precision zen running on .328. Prior to that I was running.148 and all themes drained my memory.
    Sorry for the obvious question but have you done a battery pull( hard reset)?
    I also don't have to do a hard reset on .328 like I did on .148
    10-29-09 11:43 AM
    How funny I was just looking for someone else in that boat. I only had one theme loaded but I had weatherberry with my normal 3rd party apps and I was dropping dramatically the past couple of days. I removed the theme and weatherberry last night and I have been only 2mbs lower so far today. Has to be the them and/or weatherberry
    10-29-09 11:43 AM
    It's the themes. There are several posts throughout the forums that describe people have similar issues. I ran several different themes on OS 4.7 without any memory leak. Every theme I have tried on 5.0 leaks memory. I have proved this by just changing back to the default Zen theme and my memory holds stable. I also believe this is a Plazmic issue. The theme developers will continue to be at a loss until the new version comes out which hopefully will occur soon.
    10-29-09 12:02 PM
    Thanks. I was looking with someone with similar issues. I know that there have people complaining about memory loss but I wanted to see if anyone thought it was their theme.

Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 12:05 PM
    I'm having the same problem with themes, though in unpredictable ways. Sometimes it seems it's all working, and then I suddenly drop 4-5 MB. I keep looking to see if I left some app open, but usually not.

Viigo seems even more likely than ever to cause leaks.
    10-29-09 12:50 PM
    I myself was trying to figure out why my memory would nose dive by 10 - 15 MB. I started to wonder if it the 5.0 OS or my choice of applications. Since I loaded .328 I had a hard time understanding the drop in application memory. Right now I boot up at stable 37.1 and by mid day I'm down to 28 - 27 MB. When using the .151 OS I start at 47.3 and rarely moved below 43.6, this is very frustrating!! I was tempted to go back to .151, but settled with .230. I'm curious if all the so called improvements have ended up compromising my application memory? Is 5.0 really worth the jump from 4.7 OS .151?
    10-29-09 12:56 PM
    I find 5.0 to be much more stable for me, and I notice hardly any lag even when the phone begins to run low on memory. After being on 5.0, I very much doubt I'd go back to 4.7. The only thing that I wish is that the theme issues would be resolved, since I despise the stock precision zen. Unfortunately, if I use any other theme, I go from about 39mb at startup down to ~12-13 mb over the course of a day.
    10-29-09 01:05 PM
    I boot up at 41mb and drop to 30mb now, but i hover around that with a theme active, didn't test on precision zen yet.
    10-29-09 04:02 PM
    i have found that the themes are whats killing the memory cuz of the plazmic issue. cuz plazmic isn't updated to 5.0 yet.
    10-29-09 09:24 PM
    They need to drop plazmic 5.0 soon. Very soon, I've been waiting since 5.0.0.140
    10-29-09 09:27 PM
    I use Elle and it does not leak for me on 328 and I use Stop
    Tilt to stop the white bar issue.

10-29-09 09:47 PM
    my theme S.A.B.L.T which is in development has not dropped my memory like you guys say start the day out today with 28.6 dropped down to 25.1 thats helluva good on .328
    10-29-09 11:46 PM
    i was running jaxjon's mini borders theme on .230, and now on .328. i noticed memory leak in .230 but i didn't wipe before updating, so i thought maybe that was the problem. i wiped before installing .328 and, so far, no leak! even with the theme. however, i did find that the new version of pandora was KILLING my memory AND battery! not even running or in the background, just existing on the device! it did this on both .230 and .328. as soon as i uninstalled it and did a battery pull, memory went back to being solid. not trying to say it's all pandora's fault, that's just what my experience has been.
    10-31-09 05:27 PM
    I'm currently using the "transitions" theme because its possibly my favorite theme of all time. lol. I dont want to lose it, but I hope its not the reason for my phone's hourglassing.
    11-01-09 02:19 PM
    I'm currently using the "transitions" theme because its possibly my favorite theme of all time. lol. I dont want to lose it, but I hope its not the reason for my phone's hourglassing.
    Link to transitions theme?
    11-01-09 02:35 PM
    Link to transitions theme?
    Transitions Theme from Z Man Designs for All Devices | CrackBerry.com
    11-01-09 05:43 PM
    I've yet to find a theme that behaves as the stock Zen does with memory. Convinced the critter doesn't exist yet. Still, I haven't seen a theme or app for that matter that had such a negative impact on memory that the performance of the phone was negatively impacted. Usually, by the time I'm down that low, I'm ready to recharge the phone so I'll just do a reset at that time. Some folks are concerned and that's understandable. Just don't expect to find a theme that performs like the stock theme with memory. Ain't happenin'....yet.
    12-11-09 10:23 PM
    Yep...I always go back to the default theme no matter what

12-12-09 12:41 AM
    A big observation from my part is when I use a theme besides the stock Zen memory usually goes to around 30 mb and hovers there, but if I put a custom wallpaper up it really goes downhill from there.
    12-12-09 02:53 AM
    A big observation from my part is when I use a theme besides the stock Zen memory usually goes to around 30 mb and hovers there, but if I put a custom wallpaper up it really goes downhill from there.
    Interesting observation. Not sure how the wallpaper could impact memory like that, but if it's memory or that Verizon splash screen....I'll deal with the memory issue.
    12-12-09 09:01 AM
    I have a constant memory leak with 0 themes & apps. And no pics or videos. Have tried everything. Any suggestions?

12-12-09 03:16 PM
    Interesting observation. Not sure how the wallpaper could impact memory like that, but if it's memory or that Verizon splash screen....I'll deal with the memory issue.
    From what I can tell is that if you put a wallpaper on the theme that is not properly sized then the phone is always trying to render it to the right size. Same thing with themes if you don't have the icons the right size the phone is always shrinking the icons.
    12-13-09 11:49 PM
    I find that themes that have animations such as interchanging docks and whatnot have memory leaks and I think the memory leaks when you use them. I have Blackpearl by jalaw and it never leaks. It has a dock that you can hide but I never do (b/c everything is there) so I never use the animation and my memory seems to hold steady in that one.
    12-14-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD