I don't get the excitement about a slider.

I had a Torch. It's annoying to have to slide out the keyboard to type. And, I type a lot, so I had it extended a lot... which was kinda cumbersome. Really did not like the Torch.

So, please explain. What am I missing? Because I am about to replace my Z10, and I'd like to know what the fuss is about re: a slider... and if I should wait.

Thanks!

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-22-15 08:26 PM
    who's excited? Surely not I.
    04-22-15 08:48 PM
    One of the best selling BlackBerry devices was the torch . I'm there on release day for the slider.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    Last edited by Carjackd; 04-22-15 at 09:59 PM.
    04-22-15 08:52 PM
    I think it allows two modes for typing: on screen for speed and with a keyboard for accuracy.

I love my Passport, and I love keyboard shortcuts and instant actions, but I'm not nearly as fast typing on it as I was on my Z30. Also, despite all the weird cries to contrary on CB, the screen is kinda small. I'd love a 5.5 inch screen like on a flagship on one of the other platforms. I can't see anyone else buying it, though, unless it has a physical keyboard. BlackBerry simply doesn't differentiate enough for 99% of the people out there...

So... slider it is.

Posted via CB10
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    04-22-15 08:56 PM
    Totally different device.

Designed explicitly as a full-touch replacement device as well, it is supposedly fairly light and thin. With the capacitive touch keyboard, you can use it like a trackpad for fine cursor control.

Even if you prefer to use the virtual keyboard, you have to admit it might be handy every now and then to make use of a keyboard without taking half your screen while browsing.

Obviously we'll have to see it to believe it, but it looks promising.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    04-22-15 09:15 PM
    Totally different device.

Designed explicitly as a full-touch replacement device as well, it is supposedly fairly light and thin. With the capacitive touch keyboard, you can use it like a trackpad for fine cursor control.

Even if you prefer to use the virtual keyword, you have to admit it might be handy every now and then to make use of a keyboard without taking half your screen while browsing.

Obviously we'll have to see it to believe it, but it looks promising.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Where is that first bit coming from? Not singling you out but I've read multiple posts about how this is the full touch replacement, or it's the Z upgrade. Did Chen say that? Because it's a little silly.

Don't get me wrong, I personally am all over this, and the more Torch-y it is the better. But if I wanted an all touch I'd most likely pass, because it isn't.

As for the OP, if you didn't like the slider why didn't you type on the screen? I loved my Torch, but I realize it wasn't for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 09:23 PM
    Where is that first bit coming from? Not singling you out but I've read multiple posts about how this is the full touch replacement, or it's the Z upgrade. Did Chen say that? Because it's a little silly.

Don't get me wrong, I personally am all over this, and the more Torch-y it is the better. But if I wanted an all touch I'd most likely pass, because it isn't.

As for the OP, if you didn't like the slider why didn't you type on the screen? I loved my Torch, but I realize it wasn't for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    I've heard from a couple of sources.

As much as I hate to quote them, this is the quickest article I can find on the subject:
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-slider-ye...-touch-device/

Like I said - we'll only really know when we see it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Batibreaker and Blacklatino like this.
    04-22-15 09:30 PM
    who's excited? Surely not I.
    Read the comments to any article or thread on the Leap, and you'll see. Many are claiming they are going to buy it on launch... ...and nearly everything we know about this phone at this point is based on rumor and speculation.

Other than that the Slider is expected to be the next high-end device.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:08 AM
    It's a matter of preference as far as who wants what device. I'll delay my reaction until I see what is actually going to be released with no guestimation and speculation. Also, I had the both versions of the Torch. So, I'll be looking at a lot more - aside from the specs, before I consider purchasing.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-23-15 07:27 AM
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 was my first costly investment on BlackBerry. It was just a piece of dis functioning crap.

Posted via CB10
    randall2580 and mkelley65 like this.
    04-23-15 07:42 AM
    The torch is the best bbos device for me! It was a great phone

CB10 - Q10
    Toodeurep and Mecca EL like this.
    04-23-15 07:57 AM
    I Loved my torch, and other than the difficulties with finding a good solid case for it, I never had any issues. I would jump on the slider in a heartbeat. in fact I almost didn't by my Passport because I was waiting for more information on the slider.
    04-23-15 08:06 AM
    I hear u but after they pulled that 9800 - 9810 move. More then after of BlackBerry users went to apple. It's different so hopefully it's sells. Me personally i want a new all touch screen berry.
    jakie55 likes this.
    04-23-15 08:16 AM
    I think I'm in the minority here when i say I'd have preferred an horizontal slider phone than a vertical one.
    04-23-15 08:30 AM
    I loved the torch when it came out and I'm very excited about the un-released slider. I want a BlackBerry that catches people's attention and I'm a sucker for the latest greatest from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Miss_Hawkins likes this.
    04-23-15 08:32 AM
    I loved the torch when it came out and I'm very excited about the un-released slider. I want a BlackBerry that catches people's attention and I'm a sucker for the latest greatest from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with ya!

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    04-23-15 08:53 AM
    I can't vouch for the public at large, but I loved the Torch (both first and second variants). My brother and wife also loved theirs. Maybe it's a matter of opinion, but it's literally the best of both worlds -- larger, portrait-like screen and physical keyboard.

Admittedly it was chunkier than a lot of other phones, but as CrackBerryists, we're never really phased by heft or clunk, as it were.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:38 AM
    I'm excited for the slider, I love the physical keyboard but I also want a large screen for viewing multimedia. I will be one of the first people to buy the slider.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:45 AM
    I sure do remember the Torch! That's why I'm buying a slider when it comes out. Put me on the list!!
    04-23-15 11:56 AM
    I think I'm in the minority here when i say I'd have preferred an horizontal slider phone than a vertical one.
    I'm with you on that one but they won't do that until the OS itself supports landscape mode otherwise there will be a lot of rotating going on. Don't expect that to happen until BB11 at the very earliest as 10.+ seems to be about bringing in legacy features bit by bit and refining the perfomance.

It's a shame as the Nokia n900 was fantastic with meego.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:58 PM
    I've heard from a couple of sources.

As much as I hate to quote them, this is the quickest article I can find on the subject:
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-slider-ye...-touch-device/

Like I said - we'll only really know when we see it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Ok thanks, I just see that all the time but I don't hear a lot of the all-touch crowd buying in.

Actually I did give my old Motorola Photon slider to a friend, and she uses it like a full-touch a lot of the time. I think if that's BlackBerry's plan the mechanism will need to be pretty tight, so the device feels solid and stable when closed. Solid enough that people can almost "forget" the keyboard is there.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-15 02:24 PM
    Different people, different needs.
    I love the Q10 but I'd love to have at least a 4" screen.
    The best compromise for me (I love my Passport but prefer using my Q10 on a daily basis, just easier to handle) would be a slider on a Q10 form factor (and as a Q-line iteration it needs to show off some technical novelty so one fix row + concertina keyboard for me )

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 02:36 PM
    I loved my Torch. My parents inherited it once I moved to the 9900. They broke a few of the Android phones I gave them and are super happy with the Torch. I had a slew of friends with Torches. I sold a ton of them also. They were fantastic. They had a few issues here and there (i.e. slider issue where the screen stopped working because it was manhandled), but they weren't that common. The keyboard was cramped... but in the end, once you got used to it, you could fly on that keyboard.

The Slider will be interesting. I every once in a while long for a screen with the standard screen ratio.... but I love the keyboard on my Passport. Both would be amazing... As long as the device isn't too bulky.
    04-23-15 02:45 PM
    "Why excitement about a slider? Remember the Torch?"

I do remember about the Torch. That's why I'm excited.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    shahyaz and Anthony Roberts5 like this.
    04-23-15 02:58 PM
    I don't get the excitement about a slider.

I had a Torch. It's annoying to have to slide out the keyboard to type. And, I type a lot, so I had it extended a lot... which was kinda cumbersome. Really did not like the Torch.

So, please explain. What am I missing? Because I am about to replace my Z10, and I'd like to know what the fuss is about re: a slider... and if I should wait.

Thanks!

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    Apparently you didn't know how to use the Torch. You don't have to slide the PKB out to type on the device. It had a VKB and a darn good one at that.

Did somebody make you use the Torch?
    04-23-15 06:56 PM
126 123 ...