It gets everyone talking about Blackberry again. Even the people who might not have mentioned the brand since the bigger, more successful days. Even if they don't end up releasing the Slider with Android, the rumours that are spreading will hopefully bring more people's attention to the fact that it's still alive and kicking with an arse kicking operating system.

Just look at this Flipboard page I took a screenshot of. It mentions our beloved brand among the current market dominators and it's not the only page I've come across that have featured the bigger boys with Blackberry. Whatever decisions Chen eventually makes, let's hope it's one that can please everyone: both the dedicated users and the shareholders.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Why the Android rumours alone are good for BlackBerry-1888.jpg  
    07-03-15 11:27 PM
    When we talk about just BlackBerry among non-BB phone users, most of the impression about the brand hovers around "boring layout, apps dry(less option), expensive device, secure...blah blah blah".
    But now when BlackBerry and Android is mentioned in the discussion topic... it draws some attention, and folks will be interested to know how the BB Android device will bring the slowly diminishing brand to death or alive again.
    07-04-15 04:01 AM
    That's the plan. In real it's gonna release with BB10 but half of these rumour followers won't notice and buy it thinking Android.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.2.440
    07-04-15 04:16 AM
    That's the plan. In real it's gonna release with BB10 but half of these rumour followers won't notice and buy it thinking Android.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.2.440
    It should be released with Android. BB10 flopped.

Posted via C5303
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-04-15 04:21 AM
    Are they? It certainly didn't affect the stock price.

Rumors and speculations can hit it hard but nothing beats official announcement.
    07-04-15 05:44 AM
    I spotted Blackberry q10 in one of the first episodes of " Sense 8" - 2015, which means they do some marketing ☺. Drawing attention is a part of marketing i guess.

07-04-15 06:37 AM
    The rumours had to have started somewhere. Surely a BlackBerry insider started it, no?
    07-04-15 06:45 AM
    I spotted Blackberry q10 in one of the first episodes of " Sense 8" - 2015, which means they do some marketing ☺. Drawing attention is a part of marketing i guess.

I spotted 2 Z10 in the rock's new show Ballers so some marketing is being done.

From my Jamaican Passport.
    07-04-15 10:10 AM
    Perhaps recent Blackberry 10 users are just beta testers.

07-04-15 10:36 AM
    Let's face it BlackBerry 10 wasn't profitable. Time to move on to something that hopefully will be.

If they try this and it doesn't work out at least they might have something to fall back on. By then the company might be in a better position then they are now and they may be able to offer something else

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-04-15 10:44 AM
    As a long time and current Android user, I have credit card in band waiting to pre order this phone the first chance I get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    07-04-15 11:28 AM
    It's good and everyone knows that they have Android, YES Android Runtime it's so funny that Reuters, Forbes all discovering Android on a BlackBerry.
    07-04-15 11:35 AM
    They just need to release it in both variants to please everyone

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:36 PM
    Let's face it BlackBerry 10 wasn't profitable. Time to move on to something that hopefully will be.

If they try this and it doesn't work out at least they might have something to fall back on. By then the company might be in a better position then they are now and they may be able to offer something else

Posted via CB10
    Dude samsung the king of games is struggling, Sony who was once bigger than BlackBerry is bleeding, HTC flopped hard on their flagship. Nokia the former king sold themselves to microsoft who had way more money than BlackBerry, if microsoft can't revive Nokia, how cann BlackBerry revive themselves.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:39 PM
    Struggling but yet still ahead of iphone in sales, No one is saying that this is expected to take over the world, but if it can get BB to sell more then a million devices, and closer to Chen's goal, who said they are going to be struggling?
    ruhban and LostOnThePianoRoll like this.
    07-04-15 04:24 PM
    Dude samsung the king of games is struggling, Sony who was once bigger than BlackBerry is bleeding, HTC flopped hard on their flagship. Nokia the former king sold themselves to microsoft who had way more money than BlackBerry, if microsoft can't revive Nokia, how cann BlackBerry revive themselves.

If Samsung is struggling, that is a nice position to be in when they are still selling S***tons of phones

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:29 PM
    Android or BB10 it's doesn't really matter cause BlackBerry itself is not part of the trend loop in 2015 and it will not sell no matter what. Even if it runs iOS it would still not matter. Problem is not OS or hardware, it's something else.

Honestly decision to try themselves in Android is either desperation move or childish naive decision. Regardless what it is its most likely the final nail in the coffin cause once it flops, and it will flop, BBRY will give up on hardware altogether.
    07-04-15 06:55 PM
    Android or BB10 it's doesn't really matter cause BlackBerry itself is not part of the trend loop in 2015 and it will not sell no matter what. Even if it runs iOS it would still not matter. Problem is not OS or hardware, it's something else.

Honestly decision to try themselves in Android is either desperation move or childish naive decision. Regardless what it is its most likely the final nail in the coffin cause once it flops, and it will flop, BBRY will give up on hardware altogether.
    I hope it doesnt flop-...

but if this android slider flops...i can see Chen throwing the hardware department to the trash can. This will mark the end of BB devices.

So pretty much all stakes are on this phone.
    07-04-15 07:18 PM
    Well there's no doubt that BlackBerry 10 has come a long way and it's taken a long time for developers to get it to this stage. One of the big improvements to bb10 is android compatibility

Bb's next major step for their o.s needs to be complete android compatibility.

There really isn't much point in releasing a flagship all touch without instant consumer access to 'all' of the apps.

Call it an android phone if you must.

There's no way they'll ditch their user interface, shortcuts, keyboard and hub.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 07:56 PM
    Struggling but yet still ahead of iphone in sales, No one is saying that this is expected to take over the world, but if it can get BB to sell more then a million devices, and closer to Chen's goal, who said they are going to be struggling?
    If they're selling android devices with high specs and comparable prices to other companies, then it'll take millions over millions of devices to make any noticeable profit.. Android devices sell on a really tight margin.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 08:03 PM
    There is a more negative side effect to this discussion as well, in my opinion... I know a dozen or so developers that have put all BlackBerry apps on hold until they sort this mess out.

I've chatted with many more that are creating their Plan-B if BlackBerry goes 'Droid. The short version being: once your public app development base starts testing the waters with other platforms - even if it turns out to be a rumour - it is next to impossible to regain those developers back. Look at how hard it has been to get BBOS devs back on board with BB10.

These rumours might get them some footnote mentions on a few websites. But it's killing what's left of the community internally in a lot of ways.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    astrodan13 likes this.
    07-04-15 08:23 PM
    True; you make a valid point. But I'm just hoping the positives out weight the negatives. They might choose to return once the user base is where it should be in terms of targets. Maybe these devs will return then?

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    07-04-15 09:24 PM
    I suppose we're speculating a little too much now. Well I am, anyway lol

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 09:25 PM
    It should be released with Android. BB10 flopped.

Posted via C5303
    I think BB10 had potential, but Chen pretty much stopped investing in it when he took over, so it's been close to unsupported for a year or more. Given that, and how much of Mike L.'s vision for Blend-style apps and other next gen mobile apps needing the RTOS awesomess of BB10 just hasn't panned out yet, it's easy to see why people might ask, what gives BB10 an edge? Chen's killing developer relations and the developer events was immensely stupid.

But, I'd still rather have BlackBerry control it's own platform. I have a OnePlus and an iPad. iOS is *way* better for enterprise, has better security, and a much better app ecosystem than Android. Blackberry going Android just means giving up their chance to build the future. But, given that everyone who was anyone with talent has left under Chen, who is left to build the future? Might as well pay Google rent and let them leverage the future?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BlackberryFan777; 07-04-15 at 10:59 PM.
    07-04-15 10:27 PM
    I think BB10 had potential, but Chen pretty much stopped investing in it when he took over, so it's been close to unsupported for a year or more. Given that, and how much of Mike L.'s vision for Blend-style apps and other next gen mobile apps needing the RTOS awesomess of BB10 just hasn't panned out yet, it's easy to see why people might ask, what gives BB10 an edge? Chen's killing developer relations and the developer events was immensely stupid.

But, I'd still rather have BlackBerry control it's own platform. I have a OnePlus and an iPad. iOS is *way* better for enterprise, has better security, and a much better app ecosystem. Blackberry going Android just means giving up their chance to build the future. But, given that everyone who was anyone with talent has left under Chen, who is left to build the future? Might as well pay Google rent and let them leverage the future?

Posted via CB10
    I think at this point.. it doesnt matter if you have skilled developers or not.... I think chen wants to kill BB10 because it is not profitrable. As simple as that.

It is a great OS, and i prefer it above android 10out 0f 10 times..... but we have to accep it was stillborn.

He said he was going to make BB progitable..and maybe turning Bb devices into android is one of his options if BB10 is flopping.

I think he is a guy that will not waste time and resources following the "blackberry comeback" lovestory.

H will try to make phonme profitable with android OS...and if that doesnt work...hye will close the phone department and thats it. Enmd of story.
    early2bed likes this.
    07-04-15 10:31 PM
32 12