Any takers?

If BlackBerry has actually been allowed to secure Android by replacing the microkernel, why wouldn't Google use this in all future incarnations of Android. That could happen and it would be the materialization of QNX as the "ace in the hole." If this is the case, BlackBerry will have just 'secured' their own future. Methinks it might be a very good time to buy shares in the company again...
    08-31-15 06:07 AM
    Any takers?

If BlackBerry has actually been allowed to secure Android by replacing the microkernel, why wouldn't Google use this in all future incarnations of Android. That could happen and it would be the materialization of QNX as the "ace in the hole." If this is the case, BlackBerry will have just 'secured' their own future. Methinks it might be a very good time to buy shares in the company again...
    But will such a future include BB10? There may be several ways to save BB as a company, but I am not sure those ways include saving BB as a (BB10) handset maker. And let's be honest, most people are here on CB because of BBOS + BB10. BB as a company would survive, but the BB we all love will not be around.
    08-31-15 06:31 AM
    But will such a future include BB10? There may be several ways to save BB as a company, but I am not sure those ways include saving BB as a (BB10) handset maker. And let's be honest, most people are here on CB because of BBOS + BB10. BB as a company would survive, but the BB we all love will not be around.
    Perhaps not... but, depending on how well they can execute and integrate Android, perhaps that will be the next BlackBerry that we love.
    08-31-15 06:53 AM
    It depends what's the price if they want to license the qnx hypervisor.
    Can't really beat the price of the Linux kernel (which is free) and margins are so thin that oems won't accept that.
    Users also want unrootable android? I speak for myself, but if I'm forced to use android, it MUST be rooted

Posted via Z10
    08-31-15 06:59 AM
    Can't really beat the price of the Linux kernel (which is free) and margins are so thin that oems won't accept that.
    Users also want unrootable android? I speak for myself, but if I'm forced to use android, it MUST be rooted

Posted via Z10
    What's the advantage of rooting to the average user?
    Your average usage has no clue what rooting is, and when presented with the downsides they wouldn't risk it
    08-31-15 08:38 AM
    What's the advantage of rooting to the average user?
    Your average usage has no clue what rooting is, and when presented with the downsides they wouldn't risk it
    There is no downside to rooting. There's a reason why the one plus one is so popular
    08-31-15 08:46 AM
    In fact I spoke for myself. The average user has no need to have root, but for a power user, it's important to root android (titanium backup, smb servers, remove bloatware, change hosts file, and so on).
    08-31-15 09:42 AM
    I would argue the average user out numbers the power user by a large magnitude.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:56 AM
    Does anybody happen to know when and how QNX branched from the rest of the UNIX family tree?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...simple.svg.png

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Should QNX become the core of all future Android devices?-1959px-unix_history-simple.svg.png  
    08-31-15 10:00 AM

Posted via Z10
    Users might want to be able to root their phones but I'm sure that manufacturers don't feel the same. And you can be pretty sure that BlackBerry won't have you rooting their secure Android (and jeopardize opening back doors to their devices) so this is actually a reason why it would make even more sense. Google doesn't want their OS rooted so having BlackBerry and QNX locking that down would be a huge win for them.
    08-31-15 10:00 AM
    QNX is going to become the core of all future Android devices...
    Why? For the Glory of Hypervisor of course!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-31-15 10:01 AM
    I love my BlackBerry because it's very powerful for core mobile tasks out of the box. I am very comfortable customizing my tech tools (router settings, windows drivers and registry settings, Command prompt and powershell, macros etc, but have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in going outside the UI to customize my phone. I'm not at all intimidated, but for me it would be like forging a new head for a hammer. I'd rather just buy a hammer with the properties I require in the first place.

My phone is a critical business tool. It is not a hobby, and it has to work properly 100% of the time. Right now, with BB10.3.2, it works great. If I get the same functionality and efficiency with Android, then I'm open to switching, but please don't give me a "standard" Android, because I already declined to purchase one many, many times!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:05 AM
    but cyanogenmod users outnumber bb10 users by several orders of magnitude
    08-31-15 10:05 AM
    I wouldn't say the kernel will be replaced entirely. But there might be a more locked down branch of Android that may be more enticing to companies issuing Android devices, that don't want their employee's kids rooting and loading the latest CM.

Who knows... certainly an interesting rumor to follow.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    08-31-15 10:17 AM
    I wouldn't say the kernel will be replaced entirely. But there might be a more locked down branch of Android that may be more enticing to companies issuing Android devices, that don't want their employee's kids rooting and loading the latest CM.

Who knows... certainly an interesting rumor to follow.

Posted via CB10
    It's only a rumour that this is what BlackBerry is doing with the Slider. Whether or not it will ever be brought to other Android based devices is just wild speculation on top of said rumour.
    08-31-15 10:40 AM
    Even if some part was replaced for added security, that does not mean it will be superior or equal in all other aspects than the base android part. What might be more secure on a Venice might have been more fast/useable/whatever on a base Android phone.
    08-31-15 10:41 AM
    It is like someone took some controlled substance and then sprinkled some other controlled substance on it and then added a bit of another controlled substance and then smoked it off a burning hot Z10 while an OS update was in progress. WHO comes up with this stuff? CrackBerry has jumped the shark! The level of crazy here has reached new levels. The crowds may be smaller but the level of crazy is immense!
    08-31-15 10:49 AM
    Google isn't in the charity business. No reason why they would approve a proprietary BB project to change the underlying kernel when there are other projects ongoing to secure the Android kernel, which Google has and will continue to use to pull code into Android releases, and without Google approval this would mean nothing.
    08-31-15 10:56 AM
    There is no downside to rooting. There's a reason why the one plus one is so popular
    If you don't see a downside to rooting, you haven't been paying attention. When you can root a phone, apps can gain root level access too.
    extisis likes this.
    08-31-15 10:56 AM
    If you don't see a downside to rooting, you haven't been paying attention. When you can root a phone, apps can gain root level access too.
    That's why there's superuser
    08-31-15 10:57 AM
    Google isn't in the charity business. No reason why they would approve a proprietary BB project to change the underlying kernel when there are other projects ongoing to secure the Android kernel, which Google has and will continue to use to pull code into Android releases, and without Google approval this would mean nothing.
    Let me be clear, it's NOT A FACT. Hence my 'Any takers' question... I'll bet you 15 BBRY shares that it happens though.
    08-31-15 11:00 AM
    It's only a rumour that this is what BlackBerry is doing with the Slider. Whether or not it will ever be brought to other Android based devices is just wild speculation on top of said rumour.
    Yeah... I'm aware,.. still interesting.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 11:01 AM
    Let me clear, it's NOT A FACT. Hence my 'Any takers' question... I'll bet you 15 BBRY shares that it happens though.
    But all these rumors are based on an non-existing foundation. That BB has something Google wants and Google wants it so bad its willing to change its business practices that produces 10s of billions of revenue and billions in profit. That business practice being assimilation, Google is the Borg of tech and its not going to change.
    08-31-15 11:06 AM
    That's why there's superuser
    Root IS superuser! On *ix systems, root user has access to EVERYTHING and can update, delete, install anything. That's why root level access is so dangerous!

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63, tanzarian and extisis like this.
    08-31-15 11:12 AM
    Superuser as the su program
    08-31-15 11:51 AM
125 123 ...