Since the slider is allegedly Android, wouldn't BlackBerry be better served shooting from the hip on this one? If there's an ideal time to snatch competing OS customers, wouldn't it be prior to the announcement of their strongest offerings? So many things are coming out in September it makes you wonder if BlackBerry is happy just to net 'stragglers'.

Posted via CB10
    amjass12 likes this.
    08-30-15 10:19 AM
    I am kinda thinking that it might be
    I wish it was coming out a little sooner as you stated everything else is coming out in September and I've also read that the new HTC is probably going to release with 4ghz of ram which is already going to put it a step up over BlackBerry.

That's the the thing with BlackBerry. We hear about these new releases so far in advance and they have good specs at the time, but by the time they actually make it out other models are surpassing them.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 10:25 AM
    Since the slider is allegedly Android, wouldn't BlackBerry be better served shooting from the hip on this one? If there's an ideal time to snatch competing OS customers, wouldn't it be prior to the announcement of their strongest offerings? So many things are coming out in September it makes you wonder if BlackBerry is happy just to net 'stragglers'.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. Mike Lazardis had considerable success with August releases. I remember buying a BlackBerry Bold 9000 in August or maybe it was supposed to come out in August and it was delayed until September. At any rate, August releases get you in front of the back to school shoppers and they give sales reps and folks time to refine their pitch and learn how to deal with objections before the November/December Christmas season. There's also less competition for attention and advertising bandwidth. But, I'm guessing November was about needing the price of the components to fall or getting the software ready. They can respond to any last minute coolness from Microsoft this way.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 11:34 AM
    Maybe it was to avoid the competition..... I'm guessing it would've been better to release it in august ahead of everyone...

Though I agree with you on the fact that the specs are already starting to seem old....

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 11:57 AM
    The product has to be ready before its released.
    08-30-15 12:01 PM
    the new HTC is probably going to release with 4ghz of ram which is already going to put it a step up over BlackBerry.
    I think 4 GHz RAM is just perfect. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:06 PM
    The question is about timing and being competitive with industry peers.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-30-15 12:12 PM
    I would love to see the release of the slider come before November but I don't think it's going to happen. I would like to see the slider released without issues and if a November release is what it takes I'm all in.

You also have to remember this isn't like any other android device coming out in September, it is a BlackBerry and carries the BlackBerry keyboard. The OS may be different from a standard android OS as well.

I'm stoked for November and excited to be able to get this device on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:22 PM
    My contract is up in November so it's perfect for me!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:42 PM
    The question is about timing and being competitive with industry peers.

Posted via CB10
    So the product does not have to be ready before it is released?
    Blacklatino, FF22 and sully_p like this.
    08-30-15 01:04 PM
    Novermber is probably the best case scenario. The carriers schedule these releases based on their own priorities so who knows when the big carriers will actually launch the Venice on their networks. They might actually be wanting this phone for their late Winter lull.
    08-30-15 01:09 PM
    Thanks! November isn't too late if the device or the OS isn't ready right now. Better release a well tested device instead of a half finished one with (worst case) hardware issues or (also bad) OS problems followed by several bug fix updates.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 01:18 PM
    You can talk all you want about what time is better for the product to be released but, the product should to be fit for purpose and Blackberry needs revenue as soon as possible.
    Smartphones unlike whisky don't get better with age.
    So release date is primarily determined by product readiness.
    There may be some small leeway to maximize the impact of the release after the product is ready.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-30-15 01:36 PM
    Please also remember that back in the day there was no iPhone. Their new devices are announced in September, so if we did August, it could easily be "who cares about BlackBerry let's hear what Apple has next month".

If we do late October/November we can play the same game... you already heard the same iPhone story but let's show you a real phone "announce Venice, etc"

All of this means nothing without a large marketing push though. I really hope JC gets devices back in the hands of the many people who loved owning a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 01:43 PM
    What are the odds that the slider is ready to go right now? It's got a new operating system and, given the number of layoffs that have been going on, there can't be a lot of leftover manpower at BlackBerry. It's one of the things that John Chen actually directly addressed at the Churchill Club interview. He said that given that he's already acknowledged that the problem is access to apps, the fact that it hasn't happened already should be an indication that the problem is more complex than people think. It doesn't sound like earlier was ever an option.
    08-30-15 02:05 PM
    That's the the thing with BlackBerry. We hear about these new releases so far in advance and they have good specs at the time, but by the time they actually make it out other models are surpassing them.
    This! not the first time I ask myself "Why are we hearing about it now if it isn't coming to market for months and months?" They did this with the Q10, Z30, and if my memory serves me right the 9700(but not the 9780?), maybe other BB10 devices but I didn't pay attention to others so IDK. But this needs to stop, reveal it during IFA and have it available weeks later in all colours(I want a red one, make it happen John).
    08-30-15 03:03 PM
    I would buy two of them today if they where to release the slider. What bothers me is Samsung and Apple are scheduled to release their latest products in the August/September timeframe and buy the time Blackberry where to release the slider in November, the excitement will be short lived. They need to get the slider to market ASAP. Just me two cents.
    tuxedo323, DJM626, NG888 and 2 others like this.
    08-30-15 03:18 PM
    I would buy two of them today if they where to release the slider. What bothers me is Samsung and Apple are scheduled to release their latest products in the August/September timeframe and buy the time Blackberry where to release the slider in November, the excitement will be short lived. They need to get the slider to market ASAP. Just me two cents.
    This is the point I was getting at bakron1. Regardless of how long it takes to work out bugs and whatnot, it highlights poor logistics and planning if their goal is to make a legitimate run at the competition and do things differently. This phone had been rumored winter of last year and we saw a tease of it this spring......

While I can understand both arguments regarding the pitfalls of a pre or post September release, putting it out there earlier would reap more rewards IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 03:55 PM
    So the product does not have to be ready before it is released?
    Poor planning.... no way around that.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 03:56 PM
    Sadly, for my wife it will be. She usually gets my leftovers, a Torch then a Z10. With my daughter off to high school in about a week, she'll be getting the Z10 and my wife will probably opt for a Samsung. It's really too bad because she loves physical keyboards but wants to try Android. The slider looks like it might fit the bill.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 05:15 PM
    I say it should come out sooner, like next Thursday

Z10
    08-30-15 05:22 PM
    If the slider uses Android I don't care if they ever release it.
    lift and extisis like this.
    08-30-15 11:52 PM
    Any action is better than no action at all . Doesnt matter at all. BBRY will certainly be force to reckon with once the slider is launched .
    08-31-15 04:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this, although I wonder if blackberry think it is ideal themselves! It may be that production/os delays meant it is releasing later than planned? I'm sure they would have loved a now-ish release
    08-31-15 04:38 AM
    BBRY releasing before the others might seem like a good strategy but I have my doubts. The mass media will simply look past BBRY and speculate on the Apple/Android offerings. I think with the release of the new DroidBerry, we will see Chen ramp up the marketing - having the "best" of both worlds. I also think Chen knows what he is doing. We may not necessarily agree with all he has done or is doing, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he obviously has more information and is privy to far more behind the scenes and sees the big picture better than any of us from our very limited perspective.
    DJM626 and dbiv5445 like this.
    08-31-15 05:36 AM
107 123 ...