Why the fixation with android? If you want an android get a samsung or nexus or LG or motorola or countless other android devices. I love BlackBerry 10. It's much better than android.

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R, BionicKris and web99 like this.
    03-26-15 10:43 AM
    I would go for a BlackBerry classic or slider phone running android. Otherwise my q10 is my last BlackBerry phone

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 05:47 PM
    Why the fixation with android? If you want an android get a samsung or nexus or LG or motorola or countless other android devices. I love BlackBerry 10. It's much better than android.

Posted via CB10
    Fixation? You mean how over 50 percent of every cell phone sold today runs android? I'm saying: If blackberry wants to sell hardware AND do it profitably, they should release a VERSION of their qwerty keyboard devices that run android.

They should ALSO CONTINUE to release the VERSIONS of their qwerty keyboard devices that run BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 09:27 PM
    I would go for a BlackBerry classic or slider phone running android. Otherwise my q10 is my last BlackBerry phone

Posted via CB10
    Millions of people would be right behind you buying that Slider / Android phone, it would be INSANE, it would be BB's best selling piece of hardware since the 9900.

The beauty of this plan is once those people are all using BlackBerry hardware they will stop thinking that BlackBerry is archaic and dead technology. I bet 25% of those people would buy a BB10 device for their next phone (after the Slider/Android), and then IT departments that have switched to only supporting iOS/Android because they have switched to a BYOD policy would start supporting BlackBerry again.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 09:33 PM
    Fixation? You mean how over 50 percent of every cell phone sold today runs android? I'm saying: If blackberry wants to sell hardware AND do it profitably, they should release a VERSION of their qwerty keyboard devices that run android.

They should ALSO CONTINUE to release the VERSIONS of their qwerty keyboard devices that run BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Have you read the rest of this thread? It would not work to even attempt to do that selling model. They would effectively kill off their BlackBerry10 OS which would be a shame seeing as it's OS is a thousand times more efficient.

Pretend they did switch to Android for "partial phones", they would have to commit so many resources to switching their QNX kernel and everything away and to Android.. plus there may be a bit of a market for a "keyboard Android", but as we've seen in the past with all of the other companies, it's not a profitable model.

What they're doing now is profitable, and if they can get proper advertisement and outreach, attract some more native developers, they're golden!

Did you see their results? They're doing it profitably already!

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    03-28-15 11:05 AM
    Never will happen.... (unless blackberry are at the brink) of being dead....

BBOS10 is great... and in the far future there will be BBOS11 Android is just androud... it will change over time and soon leave us....
    03-28-15 08:45 PM
    Android is just Android... it will change over time and soon leave us....
    A platform with over 80% market share and 1.1 billion active devices is not going anywhere. Unless Google suddenly has RIM style mismanagement which drives the platform into the ground.
    03-29-15 09:33 AM
    A platform with over 80% market share and 1.1 billion active devices is not going anywhere. Unless Google suddenly has RIM style mismanagement which drives the platform into the ground.
    So you think we'll have android in 20 to 30 years from now on? lol wow go you man.

nothing lasts forever,

look at nokia symbiam OS ffs.
    03-29-15 02:11 PM
    So you think we'll have android in 20 to 30 years from now on? lol wow go you man.

nothing lasts forever
    Windows has been around for almost 30 years with no signs of stopping. As long as a company adapts to the market, they'll survive.
    03-29-15 02:42 PM
    Windows has been around for almost 30 years with no signs of stopping. As long as a company adapts to the market, they'll survive.
    I agree on that,

but talking about an operating system and a mobile operating system is a different matter...

But i see your point,

what would you expect Blackberry to do in the OS ? would you agree on a full android OS on a BB device ?
    03-29-15 02:47 PM
    No android, we need a Linux based phone. I want real programs and a more secure os
    Android is linux based... er, runs on top of linux.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 03:00 PM
    But i see your point,

what would you expect Blackberry to do in the OS ? would you agree on a full android OS on a BB device ?
    Yes, it's inevitable. But a lot of factors would come into play.
    03-29-15 03:04 PM

nothing lasts forever,

look at nokia symbiam OS ffs.
    Yes... UNLESS blackberry starts releasing phones with both android AND BB10 AND continues improving their BB10 based android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 01:11 AM
    BlackBerry would do NOTHING in the OS, it would work just like other android devices (disjointed, insecure, etc), except it would have a physical keyboard.

Of course I would agree, I would even buy one (along side my BB10 version), it's the only way Blackberry will be able to bring enough people back to be profitable making devices... not enough people are switching to BB10, there MUST be an intermediate step for them.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 01:14 AM
    Yes... UNLESS BlackBerry starts releasing phones with both Android AND BB10 AND continues improving their BB10 based Android runtime.
    I think you missed the part where they're not able to have both. Unless they don't want Google Play services, which wouldn't make sense.
    03-30-15 05:14 AM
    One daughter has an Iphone, one an Android, my wife is on Android. I had Android and didn't care for it. I'm just recently on BB10 and I am enjoying it mostly because I am not a sheep and I actually try out other OS's before buying into them. That being said, the best OS out there isn't any of the above. But the best OS is virtually dead. With workabiliy, compatability and the easiest GIU on the market, Palms WebOS bought and destroyed by HP was (to me) the best out there. But it didn't catch on, the original hardware was weak and at a time when IOS and Android were flooding the market with hardware and a gazzillion apps, both WebOS and BB got left behind.
    It came down to the old "Disco Sucks" movement. As soon as it (disco sucks) was put on T shirts it was no longer cool to listen or dance to disco. Same happened to BB and WebOS. It doesn't matter which OS out there is better, it only matter what sells better to keep the company alive.
    That being said, BB has to do better at making Apps and hardware compatible with the other systems out there so that the under 30 crowd will by into them, after all, they buy the most phones.
    03-31-15 08:44 AM
    BlackBerry would do NOTHING in the OS, it would work just like other android devices (disjointed, insecure, etc), except it would have a physical keyboard.

Of course I would agree, I would even buy one (along side my BB10 version), it's the only way Blackberry will be able to bring enough people back to be profitable making devices... not enough people are switching to BB10, there MUST be an intermediate step for them.

Posted via CB10
    It's far from the "only way".

There should be NO BlackBerry running on Android. They've spent too many years claiming the advantage of having full control of the data path from the device, through the OS, through the MDM system behind the firewall.

There are 3 routes they could follow, though:

1) Sell enough seriously cheap BB10 phones that developers can't ignore the platform anymore. I would have liked to see the Leap come in $100 cheaper, so that isn't happening soon. But once there are 20-30 million BB10 users, yes, we'll see developer support.

2) Create a whole new brand for Android. Beyond the business difficulties of selling Android-branded BlackBerry phones, it would hurt the brand. Create a new, budget brand that includes keyboard models.

3) License their keyboards to an Android phone builder.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    LuvULongTime and BionicKris like this.
    03-31-15 02:09 PM
    [...]

Agreed, and that's an interesting idea I'm sure has been discussed to death.

If they charged a fairly high cost to the other manufacturers to use the PKB design, they could probably create an enormous positive cashflow. However, it'd heavily tarnish the brand and they potentially could lose many customers as well..

03-31-15 03:32 PM

There should be NO BlackBerry running on Android. They've spent too many years claiming the advantage of having full control of the data path from the device, through the OS, through the MDM system behind the firewall.

There are 3 routes they could follow, though:

1) Sell enough seriously cheap BB10 phones that developers can't ignore the platform anymore. I would have liked to see the Leap come in $100 cheaper, so that isn't happening soon. But once there are 20-30 million BB10 users, yes, we'll see developer support.

2) Create a whole new brand for Android. Beyond the business difficulties of selling Android-branded BlackBerry phones, it would hurt the brand. Create a new, budget brand that includes keyboard models.

I like #1. This is what Microsoft did with the Lumia 520 and it seemed to help their market share.

What I wonder is why they can't offer BES cloud accounts to consumers that especially want to leverage it for data compression? This is what made the Curves so popular in emerging markets, and it could help speed up BB10 adoption. They also need to hope that the Classic can convert a high % of current OS7 users that must have a PKB.
    03-31-15 11:13 PM
    I like #1. This is what Microsoft did with the Lumia 520 and it seemed to help their market share.

What I wonder is why they can't offer BES cloud accounts to consumers that especially want to leverage it for data compression? This is what made the Curves so popular in emerging markets, and it could help speed up BB10 adoption. They also need to hope that the Classic can convert a high % of current OS7 users that must have a PKB.
    BES does absolutely nothing for data compression, you know. BB10 is on a par with Android or iOS for data use.

And even in emerging markets that isn't the issue it was 5 years ago.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-01-15 12:00 AM
    BES does absolutely nothing for data compression, you know. BB10 is on a par with Android or iOS for data use.

And even in emerging markets that isn't the issue it was 5 years ago.
    Then I misread. I thought BES helped with data compression as well. My bad.
    04-01-15 12:50 AM
    I am somehow caught between Android and BBOS.

I love how my favourite apps work on my Oneplus One. And I am not talking about strange and obscure pieces of binary work. I am using apps like NFL Gamepass, Spotify, Audible and some other pretty standard and mainstream apps.

I know many of you are happy with how these run on their BB device. But I don't. I think it is annoying and really a pain in the a...

But I love the Hub and they keyboard. And even though I am using aquamail which is not that bad, I cannot be bothered writing longer messages with my oneplus.

So I have to weigh arguments and all kinds of parameters. But at the end I would be very happy if finally BB did transfer the hub to Android.

But my first choice of course would be to have more native apps for my Passport.

So, I understand both parties in this thread. At the end BB has to decide on some issues. And these decisions will highly affect their future as a company.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-01-15 10:36 AM
    Can we change this title to "New NISMO GT-R should run Civic VTEcs" because that's what more people use/drive!

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 12:31 PM
    Can we change this title to "New NISMO GT-R should run Civic VTEcs" because that's what more people use/drive!

Posted via CB10
    To be completely honest, I have no idea what that means.. :/

04-01-15 03:11 PM
    To be completely honest, I have no idea what that means.. :/

Lol, a supercar with a hand made perfectly balanced engine should use a civic engine because the civic engine is used more...

Like saying BlackBerry should use Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 05:42 PM
369 ... 678910 ...