From the pictures, it seems like upcoming slider won't have tool-belt. I think they should put that in.

When keyboard is slided-out, phone would become too long for manipulating the cursor. It'd be VERY helpful to have tool-belt (trackpad) within easy thumb reach so you can move the cursor around as you are typing.
    03-03-15 09:07 AM
    No you don't! BB10 is not designed for the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    shahyaz, Rello, Ealaionta and 21 others like this.
    03-03-15 09:09 AM
    Nope not for me
    Prefer the way now

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-03-15 09:11 AM
    No you don't need it
    HesSoStrange likes this.
    03-03-15 09:12 AM
    From the pictures, it seems like upcoming slider won't have tool-belt. I think they should put that in.

When keyboard is slided-out, phone would become too long for manipulating the cursor. It'd be VERY helpful to have tool-belt (trackpad) within easy thumb reach so you can move the cursor around as you are typing.
    What about using a capacitive touch keyboard like passport instead of using a tool belt.

Posted via "The Dinosaur" BlackBerry Z30
    03-03-15 09:26 AM
    No thanks!!

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    03-03-15 09:29 AM
    I'd say take the capacitive keyboard and make that the trackpad. I'm allfor a slider, I'd take it with out the capacitive keyboard.

Typed and swiped from my Passport.
    03-03-15 09:46 AM
    No toolbelt for me. Even the four row keyboard on the mockup presents an obstacle.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris and ynotbme like this.
    03-03-15 09:57 AM
    No need for it here. Toolbelt is the thing of the pass, time to move forward.
    03-03-15 10:06 AM
    more than likely will have a keyboard like passport doesn't need toolbelt at all.
    03-03-15 10:16 AM
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-03-15 10:20 AM
    No one has condemned the OP, but I think most are ok without the tool belt. They are just saying that they wouldn't want one.
    The tone of some of the posts has been condescending, IMO. Believe it or not, on the internet, people aren't always thoughtful when they post on discussion forums (mea culpa!) :-)

I personally don't need the tool belt because of the touch screen and the keyboard on my Z30. It is innovative and use of gestures is perfect for me. I do agree that a capacitive keyboard would be awesome though.
    Could you explain why? I mean, were you a BBOS device user and / or specifically a Torch user? And you don't mind not being able to use the device solely with one hand for any length of time?

Go ahead and try using your no-toolbelt device with only one hand for a while: put one hand in your front pants pocket, sit down, then just use your device and see how long it is before you have to pull out your other hand to accomplish something that you could otherwise have accomplished with the Trackpad / toolbelt with one hand.

I suggest the same challenge to any one and you'll see how often you MUST use two hands on your device, whether you want to / whether it's convenient, or not.

"But I don't mind using two hands!" you may say.

Fine, but I'm sure there are also situations where you get frustrated with your device because you MUST use two hands when it's inconvenient. With the toolbelt ALSO on your device, which can still do EVERYTHING a device WITHOUT a toolbelt can do, you would have that option to NOT have to use two hands
    03-03-15 10:26 AM
    How about this.

A virtual toolbelt that only appears right at the bottom edge of the screen when the keyboard is slid out (and can be disabled in settings).

Would allow for one handed use when they keyboard is extended (and the overall length becomes too long to easily swipe around), while allowing the display area of the screen to be maximized to the standard touch screen ratio when the keyboard is hidden (i.e. User is not performing input functions).

Posted via CB10
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    03-03-15 10:41 AM
    It's funny... at my job, I have to set users up all the time on an array of mobile devices. Users who desperately wanted the Classic just for the toolbelt find themselves not using it after I give them a quick demo of the power of BB10. The toolbelt is good for the archaic users who don't want to learn a few simple gestures (I don't mean this in an offensive manner). However, most users tend to be fine without it... That is, with the exception of text editing with the trackpad. That's the one thing I missed, until I got the Passport.
    03-03-15 11:05 AM
    No toolbelt.

I also own touchscreen gloves.

Passport keyboard is great.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-03-15 11:08 AM
    keyboard might be capacitative, like the Passport?
    03-03-15 11:12 AM
    Most androids have toolbelts. The yes/no/back/menu/select options are universal in apps and mobile.

Personally, I think blackberry should create a hybrid of the torch and the z30. Stereo speakers, removable battery, separate usb/hdmi/+magnetic quick charger, those with pb's know what I'm talking about. Super amoled 4k edgeless slider successor to the z30 in a z10 size.
    Widi, miracast, usb otg, etc...

These are technologies BlackBerry has already deployed.

Additionally, and this is a wish, dual SIM would be awesome!

>I know that hardcore all touch users resent physical keys, but having them caters to a broader audience.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    George_B likes this.
    03-03-15 11:19 AM
    Go ahead and try using your no-toolbelt device with only one hand for a while: put one hand in your front pants pocket, sit down, then just use your device and see how long it is before you have to pull out your other hand to accomplish something that you could otherwise have accomplished with the Trackpad / toolbelt with one hand.
    You know, I used to have a Storm and then a Torch and personally I never really used the track pad. For the vast majority of my usage I always opted to touch the screen over the track pad unless selecting text. I eventually got a Z10 and now have a Passport. Ok, one handed usage with gloves isn't my primary concern, but I have always managed. Really, the only thing I tend to use two hands for is typing, even with the Passport. I can still type one handed, even with the Passport when needed, but always find it faster with both hands. Aside from the Passport I've never found one handed usage frustrating, and certainly never found two handed usage necessary.

I way not be able to convince you that the track pad is completely unnecessary, and you certainly won't convince me that it is, but I'm not going to sit here and say I am right and you are wrong. We just have a different opinion on the matter.

Personally, I think the track pad will die with the Classic. I think the majority of Classic users, in particular those that have used other BB10 devices, are going to find that they tend to use the screen over the track pad for the most part. I certainly did, as far back as BBOS5.

Just for the record, I was a Torch user.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 11:50 AM
    Nah, I think the onscreen selection tool is actually pretty great now in 10.3.1, in my opinion it's not needed.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 12:03 PM
    Let's continue to move forward and leave the past where it belongs (in the past)... No tool belt for me!
    03-03-15 12:09 PM
    Yeah the toolbelt... but I need the trackpad to be illuminated :P lolz..
    No its perfect the way it is!..

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport 
    acovey likes this.
    03-03-15 12:13 PM
    I would like if the lit-up icon in the middle at the bottom functioned as a trackpad, but that's just a benefit of having good accuracy for text selection or selecting a small link near others.

Not a necessity, but it would be appreciated

BB for Life
    03-03-15 12:22 PM
    Can someone please fix the post that's making this page impossible to read? Thanks.

As for the toolbelt, yes - much needed.
    03-03-15 12:28 PM
    I am in the no tool belt side. It seems to me that if you have a large screen you do not need a trackpad. I put the cross over point at 3.5 inches. The Q10's screen was just too small. The other issue is the device length. The Tool bar adds length to the Classic but because of the 1 to 1 screen the device is not tall to begin with.
    If you had a choice between a 3.1 inch Q10 with a tool belt and a 3.5 inch Classic with none. Which would you choose?

Regardless, this phone will be used more extensively as an all touch device. Here is what was said about the 9810 tool belt:

"Located in the middle of those four buttons is an illuminated optical trackpad that’s now become a trademark on all recent devices out of Waterloo. I still don’t quite see its utility with all the touchscreen real estate available, and its positioning at the extreme bottom means that you can’t really use the trackpad comfortably while the device sits in your hand. Another side effect of its positioning is that when you scroll up, you can inadvertently touch the screen causing unwanted input."

Lastly there is the question of software. If you seldom use the trackpad on your Classic do you really want the additional complexity added from a software perspective ?

It seems like this prototype is closer to the end rather than the beginning. They need this device out there ASAP. The tool belt would slow that process down greatly.

Wouldn't it be so very interesting if both Samsung and BlackBerry came out with the same versions of this phone and the Samsung used the BlackBerry Suite .
    03-03-15 12:50 PM
    LMAO that Ryan guy is damn extra. YOU need a tool belt, but we don't and all your reasons for having it are pretty useless considering most of us can use our phones with one hand. Also, get touchscreen gloves for crying out loud.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 12:52 PM
285 123 ...