Huh? Hold the phone in your left hand and touch the screen with your right.

But I want a trackpad for when I want to edit some text and need a cursor.

Posted via CB10
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    03-28-15 02:20 PM
    Editing text sucks without a trackpad. Toolbelt please.

Posted via CB10
    The toolbelt is not needed with a capacitive keyboard. A quick double tap brings up the bubble and you can put it where you want with the keyboard. Text selection is easy by holding shift and running a finger on the keyboard. I don't see the benefit of the toolbelt at all these days.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    BionicKris and Bbnivende like this.
    03-29-15 06:34 AM
    The toolbelt is not needed with a capacitive keyboard. A quick double tap brings up the bubble and you can put it where you want with the keyboard. Text selection is easy by holding shift and running a finger on the keyboard. I don't see the benefit of the toolbelt at all these days.
    The trackpad is better for one handed use (which may not be important to you personally), and the passport keyboard causes the bubble to appear while typing when you don't want it to, which isn't a problem with a trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    03-29-15 08:41 AM
    I'll grant that the unintentional bubble was annoying in the beginning, but you adapt soon enough and it doesn't happen now. When it did happen, I learned to ignore it and keep typing anyway. And one handed use? It wasn't really possible to use the pkb on my old torch one handed. Judging by the size, it'll be impossible on this new slider. No toolbelt = a purer all touch experience due to more real estate for the screen.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-29-15 09:48 AM
    http://berryflow.com/2015/03/blackbe...bled-keyboard/

This works for me. Touch enabled keyboard.
    I am now 100% buying a slider. Form factor fully satisfies my needs. And BlackBerry 10 is the only OS that fits my style of working, my mindset.

Sure it lacks some apps and I am very sad about that. But I have tried other phones and I often come back to BlackBerry (sacrificing apps) because 90% of the time BlackBerry 10 OS works like I do. It fits my mindset.

Now, if somehow BlackBerry 10 fixed the app problem (apps that depend on google services, google play APIs were to start working), it'd simply be tooooooo good.

But for now I am using BlackBerry Q10 as my daily driver but I'll be honest, I also have a secondary device (second hand android phone for some select apps that I need to have access to during the day - I connect it to my BlackBerry 10 Hotspot or wifi, don't have a sim card or anything in it).

I am looking forward to purchasing slider as soon as it's released. And I also hope there would be a day when I won't have to carry a secondary device for some select apps.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-29-15 09:56 PM
    Slider would attract whomever it'd attract. All I am saying is: toolbelt doesn't hurt in any way.

If you don't want to use toolbelt, you can decide to not use it.
    If you don't want to use physical keyboard, you can decide to not use that either.

All touch crowd: wants no toolbelt, no physical keyboard.
    QWERTY keyboard crowd: wants physical keyboard and toolbelt (or capactivie touch keyboard)

Slider can please both crowds by including keyboard AND (toolbelt or capactive keyboard)

Sure, there are some all-touch users that may not like the weight of a slider device, but with or without toolbelt, the weight change would be negligible. Nor is toolbelt going to eat up significant screen space. So, if you are saying, all touch-crowd is not going to like toolbelt because it'd add significant weight, or take too much space away from screen, that'd be incorrect.
    Stop being so logical, you might not be understood by your audience.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 01:36 AM
    My apology if this image of the slider and its curved screen with extended keyboard has already been displayed.

http://blackberryitalia.it/uploads/m...capacitiva.jpg

This site speculates:

Looking closely at the picture we can see how the bottom of the device there is a grid -width : This , most likely , is a front speaker . Furthermore , by examining closely the keyboard 4 rows of keys , we can see that they are identical to the BlackBerry Passport . This may indicate that the BlackBerry 10 Slider will feature touch capacitive keyboard was identical to that of Passport .
    03-30-15 08:33 PM
    Agreed....you dont need a trackpad. Its not needed nor nevessary in bbos10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-20-15 01:13 PM
    Yes please. On my 9900 I barely ever touched the screen, and it was awesome. I don't absolutely need a toolbelt but it would make the phone way better IMO. There's nothing like it for text selection, editing, navigating and phoning.

Sorry, I'd like to typo but my Q10 just can't handle it.
    AthenaSmith and RyanGermann like this.
    05-25-15 05:36 PM
    No tool belt! Don't want to go backwards only forward. Rather have a big screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 06:53 AM
    No tool belt! Don't want to go backwards only forward. Rather have a big screen.

Posted via CB10
    As John Chen said numerous times, BlackBerry needs to focus on the battles it can win rather. There is a big market that loves the toolbelt and these are the ones BlackBerry needs to satisfy. Actually, the best idea is to make two versions, one w/ and one without. No reason not to.

RyanGermann likes this.
    05-26-15 12:20 PM
    NO. Terrible idea.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 02:33 PM
    And I'll go further than that. I think it should have a convenience key!

Sorry, I'd like to typo but my Q10 doesn't support it.
    jacwib likes this.
    05-26-15 02:48 PM
    As John Chen said numerous times, BlackBerry needs to focus on the battles it can win rather. There is a big market that loves the toolbelt and these are the ones BlackBerry needs to satisfy. Actually, the best idea is to make two versions, one w/ and one without. No reason not to.

Here is one reason. You would need to pay twice and adjust the OS to work for both. So increased cost for something that has not proven to be successful.

Had the classic been a runaway success that would be different. So far BlackBerry has neither confirmed now denied that and I highly doubt they would keep a success quiet. So probably not the win you think.

It should focus on minimal cost outlays that means as few variations as possible with as much dedicated people on a team as possible.

Another thing and this is from experience with both layouts tool belt and no tool belt, it's a terrible awkward layout to have it at the bottom of a full touch screen it makes zero sense at that spot. Gestures are much better.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 05:21 PM
    And I'll go further than that. I think it should have a convenience key!

Sorry, I'd like to typo but my Q10 doesn't support it.
    That I want back! It's perfect for cameras.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 05:21 PM
    Here is one reason. You would need to pay twice and adjust the OS to work for both. So increased cost for something that has not proven to be successful.

Had the classic been a runaway success that would be different. So far BlackBerry has neither confirmed now denied that and I highly doubt they would keep a success quiet. So probably not the win you think.

It should focus on minimal cost outlays that means as few variations as possible with as much dedicated people on a team as possible.

Another thing and this is from experience with both layouts tool belt and no tool belt, it's a terrible awkward layout to have it at the bottom of a full touch screen it makes zero sense at that spot. Gestures are much better.

Posted via CB10
    They already make the OS work for trackpad and toolbar or the classic wouldn't work- and unless they are freezing the classics OS release then they will continue to keep that trackpad ability in the OS at least till EOL for the classic.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-27-15 08:13 AM
    What about using a capacitive touch keyboard like passport instead of using a tool belt.

Posted via "The Dinosaur" BlackBerry Z30
    Totally agree.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 08:33 AM
    They already make the OS work for trackpad and toolbar or the classic wouldn't work- and unless they are freezing the classics OS release then they will continue to keep that trackpad ability in the OS at least till EOL for the classic.

Posted via CB10
    There are still things they would have to change in the OS even from the Classic's design but the main things are the physical parts.

You're talking about having two external designs and whatever components that need to be changed inside for a product that at best will be a niche phone regardless of tool belt or not. It's a waste of time and the tool belt on a full touch screen like this is really not an advantage.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 10:21 AM
    A toolbelt will just add unnecessary space and cost. BB10 doesn't need a toolbelt. In a slider form factor, I can see a need for the trackpad with the keyboard out, but I think a touch-sensitive keyboard takes care of that (assuming it'll be there).
    BionicKris likes this.
    05-27-15 11:39 AM
    No toolbelt anywhere please. It is only on the "classic" to get the diehard 9900 users to dump their OS7 and finally move to BB10 and make BlackBerry some cash.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    05-28-15 03:10 PM
    There are still things they would have to change in the OS even from the Classic's design but the main things are the physical parts.
    That's an incorrect statement: if you want to lobby against the tool belt, a credible objection backed up with one or two specific examples would be helpful.... But there are none that aren't subjective.

For example, I believe that a BlackBerry device with a toolbelt murdered Trauma Surgeon's puppy: that's the only way to explain the irrational hatred TS exhibits towards a key BB differentiator.
    06-01-15 09:25 PM

Wrong. Wrong and Wrong.

The OS has been "adjusted" for the classic. No extra expense.
    "Increased cost" of the hardware, sure: $10 bucks.
    "Not proven to be successful": that statement is pure conjecture, subjective and just wrong.

No BB10 device has been a "runaway success" so basing any "toolbelt or not" suggestion on the fact that the Classic "hasn't been a runaway success" is self-indulgent "I hate the toolbelt so I'm going to wildly thrash around for reasons why it shouldn't be on any BB devices". It's illogical and the simple solution is YOU just don't buy any device with a toolbelt and learn to love yourself a bit more.

"Minimal cost outlays" even if that means the device isn't appealing to the target market? Sounds like an argument for underpowered devices like the Z3 should be where BB puts their efforts, which I think even YOU agree is unwise.

Millions of Torch 9810 users who loved their devices would disagree with you. Plenty are here in this topic advocating FOR the toolbelt, when the solution for you is to just NOT buy a device with a toolbelt. Simple.

Use case: When you cancel an email compose window you have to use two hands: with the toolbelt, you can just use the trackpad to put focus on the "Cancel" button and click the trackpad: BB10's UI guidelines need to be adjusted to move everything like that down to the bottom of the screen so these types of things aren't necessary, but there are plenty of use cases for the trackpad: and plenty for the call start / end buttons. Sometimes, I just want to effing hang up the effing phone without having to look at the screen and get the device into a mode where it will ALLOW me to hang up the effing phone. Jeez I guess no one makes VOICE calls on their devices any more, but for those that do, the call start / end buttons are a hugely important asset that only BB gives a darn to even offer any more.

The business professionals that are the target market for BB10 devices have lots of uses for the toolbelt that you may not make use of, because you're not their target customer, most likely.
    petetherocker likes this.
    06-03-15 08:51 AM
    You should be asking for a reliable keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 08:58 AM
    Don't kill the form factor with a toolbelt. IMO the toolbelt is a training wheel for those coming from legacy to BB10. No need for it..

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 10:51 AM
    The only person that needs a toolbelt is Al Borland, you can't stop Swipe n Scroll!!

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1779/2576
    06-03-15 11:07 AM
285 ... 7891011 ...