John Chen said that if he figures out a way to "secure" android he won't mind releasing one.

John Chen not against building an Android device, provided he can make it secure | CrackBerry.com

Question is how and will it include Google play services?

Are talking about another blackphone?

Sandboxing apps? Root protection using BlackBerry's root of trust?

If someone with some technical knowledge of android could explain it in layman terms to us that would be very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 11:42 AM
    We have absolutely no idea what is coming, and how it will be implemented.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-01-15 11:48 AM
    I'm sure there are some core QNX/BB10 and BES technologies that enhance mobile security, however, I fail to see how this will translate to an Android device just because it's a BlackBerry. I guess BlackBerry will simply inherit the security feature just like their non-BES managed handsets are "secure"
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-01-15 12:18 PM
    John Chen said that if he figures out a way to "secure" android he won't mind releasing one.

Question is how and will it include Google play services?

Are talking about another blackphone?

Sandboxing apps? Root protection using BlackBerry's root of trust?

If someone with some technical knowledge of android could explain it in layman terms to us that would be very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    From my many years exerpeince playing with android phone's and custom roms for them, I would guess they would be looking at a heavily fortified bootloader, kernel and recovery. Without access to these it would be very difficult to gain root access. They could even implement features like samsungs KNOX to sandbox work related or high security apps aware from general purpose apps.

I think would need to make thier own versions of alott of the AOSP apps to ensure none of known vulnerabilities are carried accross (this would also help them theme and stylise the UI to suit thier agenda)

But ultimately, I'm just speculating.

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    07-01-15 08:51 PM
    Apparently a secure android does exist.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28970...re-tablet.html

It uses samsung knox for secure boot which sorta works like BlackBerry's root of trust.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 05:18 PM
    The easiest way would be to run a Hypervisor on the chip which would allow BB10 and Android to run at the same time, both under QNX. Yes, Android could run under QNX, which would remove the Linux vulnerability paths (of which there are many.)

That would be a pretty cool implementation, done correctly......
    07-06-15 06:01 PM
    I really hope BlackBerry manages to convincingly create a more secure android Ala blackphone and give users a choice to have goggle play services or not.

Best case scenario is a dual boot or hypervisor solution every one seems to be mentioning.

Have BlackBerry 10 for work and a secure android for play. Split the way blackberry Balance works.

That would give everyone a chance to be exposed to BlackBerry 10, it's productivity and security, while not having the risk of being stuck with a limited app ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:45 AM
    I'm sure there are some core QNX/BB10 and BES technologies that enhance mobile security, however, I fail to see how this will translate to an Android device just because it's a BlackBerry. I guess BlackBerry will simply inherit the security feature just like their non-BES managed handsets are "secure"
    I'm sure they could release that phantom bubble wrap force field security in an APK on Amazon and claim hundreds of thousands of downloads within the month.
    07-07-15 09:54 AM
    Interesting that the website is secure android

https://n4bb.com/blackberry-registered-android-domain/

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 08:52 PM
    I think BlackBerry is planning on hypervising both bb10 and android in a secure qnx based device.

In Squircle I Trust
    07-09-15 12:16 AM
    I think this is going to be interesting. Hopefully by Christmas something would have materialised. If BlackBerry can merge their own assets like security and physical keyboards with a full Android ecosystem, it would instantly make them a player again. Let's not forget about the award winning virtual keyboard. Another boost to sales of BlackBerry Android handsets would be the construction, if all the others are going with aluminium or plastic and BlackBerry goes with stainless steel or TITANIUM, it would be very appealing. Another thing they could do would be to make BBM video exclusive to BlackBerry handsets including the Android ones, not just BB10 as it is now.

With an Android ecosystem behind them, the potential is there for accessories like a smartwatch, fitness band, etc etc etc. And even a line of BlackBerry branded mini security cams.

I don't know what you guys think, but in my opinion ****s about to get real.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    07-09-15 03:53 AM
    I think this is going to be interesting. Hopefully by Christmas something would have materialised. If BlackBerry can merge their own assets like security and physical keyboards with a full Android ecosystem, it would instantly make them a player again. Let's not forget about the award winning virtual keyboard. Another boost to sales of BlackBerry Android handsets would be the construction, if all the others are going with aluminium or plastic and BlackBerry goes with stainless steel or TITANIUM, it would be very appealing. Another thing they could do would be to make BBM video exclusive to BlackBerry handsets including the Android ones, not just BB10 as it is now.

With an Android ecosystem behind them, the potential is there for accessories like a smartwatch, fitness band, etc etc etc. And even a line of BlackBerry branded mini security cams.

I don't know what you guys think, but in my opinion ****s about to get real.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    With www.androidsecured.com registered by BlackBerry, I do believe $*** is about to get real too!

If they can make such a bold statement by using the word "secured" that would mean a whole world of difference from other android manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 likes this.
    07-09-15 04:56 PM
    As a shareholder and BlackBerry user I'm excited about what is brewing and if the company can grow it's software and security business. BES must grow.

I am worried about the future of BB10 but at the end of the day I am a very lonely BlackBerry user and if incorporating Android can keep their amazing handsets alive then I have to be for it. Reality is BlackBerry lost the OS war a long time ago but that doesn't mean the keyboards, BBM and HUB that we all love can't move forward on other platforms.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    07-10-15 09:03 AM
    As a shareholder and BlackBerry user I'm excited about what is brewing and if the company can grow it's software and security business. BES must grow.

I am worried about the future of BB10 but at the end of the day I am a very lonely BlackBerry user and if incorporating Android can keep their amazing handsets alive then I have to be for it. Reality is BlackBerry lost the OS war a long time ago but that doesn't mean the keyboards, BBM and HUB that we all love can't move forward on other platforms.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    Exactly my sentiment. A BlackBerry skin on top of Android is not an unattractive proposition in my opinion.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    nickmelanson likes this.
    07-10-15 02:03 PM