And OP, where is the link to the reddit?
    07-07-15 07:11 AM
    If they were going android would they be pushing QNX? How would it fit in? Noticed Chen tweeting a pic of the Mercedes F1 after their victory this weekend highlighting QNX. I know BlackBerry was always on the car, but I don't remember seeing QNX. That might be new.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 07:16 AM
    And OP, where is the link to the reddit?
    If you read through the thread you'll find it a couple of times thanks to Thurask:
    My Thoughts On BlackBerry Venice - http://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/c...kberry_venice/ via Reddit in Motion
    07-07-15 08:16 AM
    Even Samsung is having a hard time selling Android devices now... going Android is still a bad idea, not matter how much you harden it. A BB device running Android will be a sideshow novelty: a product strategy that isn't sustainable. If they want to test the Android waters i.e. "people love Android and love BlackBerry's keyboard, so we should make a BlackBerry running Android", why not a overpowered Classic? The hardware specs of the Passport with the Classic form factor. See how well THAT sells. The point is that it WOULDN'T sell. A more clever BlackBerry would manage to find a way to integrate something like Cobalt's solution that doesn't ship with the device but when you push a single button and wait 10 minutes, voila, you have "Android" on your BB.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsun...234335307.html
    07-07-15 08:17 AM
    I doubt BlackBerry would get any custom components to pack into this thing (aside from the keyboard of course). Hopefully they pick from the top bin instead of the bottom bin when they go shopping.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 08:33 AM
    Just to remind some people, if the slider does run android some features we take for granted will not be on android such as multitasking. You can't play a youtube song go to a different app and have it playing, hell you can't even go to a different tab! There's no way the hub can be integrated without you having to download an app and that seems counter intuitive. I have the top of the line xperia z4 tablet and it's great but even with the best specs it's a huge memory hog.

Posted via CB10
    Lollipop multitasking is certainly improved over previous versions. And playing a YouTube video in the background is possible. I've had my S3 doing that. And what do you mean no different tab?
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-07-15 09:46 AM
    Reminds me the Android Player (add the battery life problem and I'm even more sure), not an Android powered device. But moreover, I have no doubt BlackBerry is actually capable of running any version of Android within BB10, being with "enhanced" Player, or as a "running on top" OS (hypervisor) or even as a standalone OS on BB10 HW ... on a tweaked prototype.

IMHO this is not the point. The point is Google / BlackBerry relationship and until we see something spectacular in this area ... I don't buy it as a soon-to-be-commercialized device. A prototype, that is and remains such.
    Right. It could be the QNX hypervisor solution people have talked about. BB10 as the host OS and Android as the guest OS. I imagine the obstacle there would be battery life and RAM. I think that's the best option, though.

The Android rumors are killing BB10. https://n4bb.com/nemory-studios-futu...0-development/
    07-07-15 10:37 AM
    And if BlackBerry is that intent on keeping BB10 going, they could squash all these rumors with a single tweet, along the lines of, "We have no plans to launch any Android phones in the foreseeable future. We are fully committed to BB10."

This rumor obviously has legs, and BlackBerry is doing nothing to cut them off.
    Well, it does let them buy the stock for cheap right now. The announced the stock buy back and about now is when it takes place.
    07-07-15 02:34 PM
    I'm sorry. I don't believe any of it. Especially not the guy on rededit. Blackberry Security built into Android. What BB security? People throw the 'S' word around all the time without giving the first thought to what that means. The idea that BB did in one year what a joint task force of the CIA, FBI, and HLS took several years to do - make a hardened/ secure Android kernel is almost preposterous. The only thing BB could do would be to force encrypt all data coming into and out of the device (sort of like the old NOC days). This would certainly slow the device down though.
    Well, there could be a non-traditional way to do it especially because BlackBerry may have options of integrating BB10 and Qnx (kernel and hardware security) into Android...which the CIA, FBI etc etc does not have access to :P. Securing Android is one thing, while forcing Android to act securely is one another thing...the second could be the route BlackBerry has taken.

Remember Chen saying...something is brewing on App gap front? Also remember Chen saying if he could 'find a way' into securing Android. FIND a WAY in his comments point to a non traditional way according to me. And the rumours may be True... I don't want to completely disbelieve it.
    07-07-15 09:39 PM
    IMHO this is not the point. The point is Google / BlackBerry relationship and until we see something spectacular in this area ... I don't buy it as a soon-to-be-commercialized device. A prototype, that is and remains such.
    And BB kept their agreement with Samsung until the last moment
    07-08-15 12:40 AM
    Well, there could be a non-traditional way to do it especially because BlackBerry may have options of integrating BB10 and Qnx (kernel and hardware security) into Android...which the CIA, FBI etc etc does not have access to :P. Securing Android is one thing, while forcing Android to act securely is one another thing...the second could be the route BlackBerry has taken.

Remember Chen saying...something is brewing on App gap front? Also remember Chen saying if he could 'find a way' into securing Android. FIND a WAY in his comments point to a non traditional way according to me. And the rumours may be True... I don't want to completely disbelieve it.
    Coming up with an android phone is not a way to solve the app gap for current users unless we can use their android rom too

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 02:54 AM
    Well, they might be testing the waters plus the amount of coverage BlackBerry has received because of this rumour is significant and most of them are positive. So why put them to rest?

Posted via CB10
    The rumors would, I believe, have an negative effect on current BB10 device sales, which are already weak. Some buyers, hearing these rumors, will decide against buying now and wait to see what the Android offering looks like. This isn't something BlackBerry wants, if they're planning to stick with BB10. Uncertainty is toxic to any product line; people don't want to buy something that looks like it may be going away soon, and that's just the kind of uncertainty the Android rumors cause. If fully committed to BB10 going forward, BlackBerry has every reason to kill the rumors now, or a week ago.

If, on the other hand, they are in the process of testing an Android BlackBerry, but not yet ready to announce anything, they're in a tight spot. Chen can neither deny nor confirm the rumor, so the best he can do is say something conditional and evasive, like "If I can make Android secure..."
    07-09-15 09:51 AM
    If BlackBerry move to android, this will be the end of BlackBerry devices life, u can find many other option in the market, we need improvement of BlackBerry 10 os not making other os.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 11:20 AM
    most consumer don't really care about security, that's why so many people are using android devices. Imagine the best android pkb on the market. This will bring back BlackBerry name on the map. It felt that the first layer of blackberry security is just marketing gimmicks. I don't think they are abandoning os 10 anytime soon, after all security aware enterprises are still their main focus today.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-09-15 11:39 AM
    If BlackBerry move to android, this will be the end of BlackBerry devices life, u can find many other option in the market, we need improvement of BlackBerry 10 os not making other os.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry owns 0.3% of all market share. Never forget that number. If they find a way to cater to an audience apart of the largest OS user base in Android and make money doing so they will do it.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 12:32 PM
    The rumors would, I believe, have an negative effect on current BB10 device sales, which are already weak. Some buyers, hearing these rumors, will decide against buying now and wait to see what the Android offering looks like. This isn't something BlackBerry wants, if they're planning to stick with BB10. Uncertainty is toxic to any product line; people don't want to buy something that looks like it may be going away soon, and that's just the kind of uncertainty the Android rumors cause. If fully committed to BB10 going forward, BlackBerry has every reason to kill the rumors now, or a week ago.

If, on the other hand, they are in the process of testing an Android BlackBerry, but not yet ready to announce anything, they're in a tight spot. Chen can neither deny nor confirm the rumor, so the best he can do is say something conditional and evasive, like "If I can make Android secure..."
    The uncertainty is not just toxic to sales, it also kills BB10 native development. Sadly, Nemory, one of the few stars of native BB10 development announced that he was leaving for iOS last week. He cited the news that Android was either going to be the OS or integrated so deeply that native BB10 apps would be second-class citizens on the device.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 12:36 PM
    Blackberry owns 0.3% of all market share. Never forget that number. If they find a way to cater to an audience apart of the largest OS user base in Android and make money doing so they will do it.

Posted via CB10
    Right. But, we're talking about holding that marketshare with John Chen as CEO. Chen is quite possibly the worst CEO in tech. He proceeded to basically leave the smartphone business and call it retargetting to an enterprise niche. BlackBerry's history is one of slowly discovering that there is no enterprise niche distinct from consumer users or, more accurately, that the niche is very small and shrinking every day. We already knew this. That's why the company invested in building BB10.

BlackBerry could make a lot more money if they can own their own platform and gear up sales. Samsung, the largest and most successful Android hardware company, just had to notify investors that they are unlikely to meet profit estimates as phone sales and margins aren't what they had hoped. Google doesn't really make devices (the annual Nexus device comes from a partner), but they do just fine with Android. The money is in the platform.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 12:45 PM

I agree. You could put all that into one big category of marketing / PR or whatever. Unfortunately they have always been like that. It took one year for people to realise that BlackBerry wasn't dead or sold to Lenovo or some other company. This kind of negligence hurts them more.

In this case it's mostly rumours and though they haven't denied it completely, they have dropped subtle hints for devs and users that BB10 is here to stay. Now it's up to the users on what they choose to believe, the official channels or amateur tech bloggers who want more hits.

On the whole, yes, it's better to have a clear indication of where the company is headed. Hopefully they start talking soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 01:32 PM
    Hypervision, domain names, partnerships with Google at a core OS level, leaks, a lack of total denial by Chen himself, Blackberry developers jumping ship. I hope none of the Android deniers are in the business of investigation. Android powered Blackberries are around the corner folks, lets hope people finally give them a second chance.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    07-09-15 02:14 PM
    I really hope tha blackberry will actually invest more in marketing department wisely. That will give more definition and recognition to brand AND inform people. That can help and will a lot for bb10 as a platform.

Otherwise they will do as bad as they do now.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 02:29 PM
    If Android and BES12 is that great of a combination then the idea of two different versions of each handset, BB10 for enterprise security and Android for consumers, is going out the window. If the rumors of multiple Android devices by the end of the year are true then you really have to wonder who BB10 is for. Developing and maintaining a mobile OS is so expensive that Microsoft isn't even going to be doing it anymore.

I think we all know where this is going. We are getting a leak every day, now, so we should get some confirmation soon. There will be those who don't believe that anything short of an official announcement will do.
    07-09-15 03:17 PM
    According to a reddit user. He got a chance to play with the slider. He says everything seems to be top notch in terms of specs, but thee os is running android with a BlackBerry layer on top. A little disappointing that it's not running bb10...

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. The article says "BlackBerry as first layer"... it's Android ON QNX, a big difference!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 03:46 PM
    According to a reddit user. He got a chance to play with the slider. He says everything seems to be top notch in terms of specs, but thee os is running android with a BlackBerry layer on top. A little disappointing that it's not running bb10...

Posted via CB10
    It seems reasonable.

Do you know the event data they are probably announcing the device?

Posted with Z30!
    07-09-15 04:58 PM
    My Thoughts On BlackBerry Venice - http://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/c...kberry_venice/ via Reddit in Motion

Posted via CB10
    Sounds amazing. At the end of the day I have to be realistic in that BB 10 may not last and if I can get a phone that feels like a BlackBerry but runs full android in a superb BlackBerry package I have to consider it.

We shall see what we get. I'm owed an upgrade as my contract is up so I'm ready for it.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-09-15 06:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    I normally would agree but at the end of the day BlackBerry has to move on. Updating a phone OS no one uses makes no sense either. Sadly support for BB 10 is falling off and app writers are leaving.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-09-15 06:20 PM
113 12345