With production on the Classic being shut down, I think we can say that there will not be a Mercury. Makes no sense to build one if the market would not support the Classic. Initially rumours said two new phones and they will be the Neon and the Argon. Why would Chen waste money on building a PKB android if he just shut down the Classic? Wouldn't make sense.
    Makes no sense to build Classic if market doesn't support the Classic. I don't see enough correlation between that and the hypothetical Rome/Mercury to stop them from producing it. We'll see.
    07-05-16 07:28 PM
    Classic is BB10 and Mercury is android, believe that is why Classic going away, not just because it is PKB.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 06:34 AM
    It'll see the light of day. Whether or not you'll want to buy it in its final form is a different story.
    Bla1ze,

I am sensing that it will be low end. Please say it is highish.
    07-07-16 12:58 PM
    I believe we should just wait and see what Blackberry has on the burners... I have being using blackberry off and on tried so many phones and spent thousands of dollars and to be honest nothing g compares to blackberry...i am using a passport after using a priv and I love it...was very unsatisfied with the priv and I'll keep buying blackberry phones...the best thing of all is that the rumors always come true and us blackberry followers Cait wait to see blackberry on top again like old days

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-07-16 03:02 PM
    Bla1ze,

I am sensing that it will be low end. Please say it is highish.
    Snapdragon 617 (via rumours)

So firmly "Mid-Range" at $ 349

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    07-08-16 01:07 AM
    Snapdragon 617 (via rumours)

So firmly "Mid-Range" at $ 349

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    Bad news for me. I am waiting for a high end pkb.
    07-08-16 03:26 AM
    Can't see high end ever coming with PKB (not slider). Too costly

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 08:12 AM
    I still believe there are 2 pkbs. One low end and one highish end.
    07-09-16 02:15 PM
    With production on the Classic being shut down, I think we can say that there will not be a Mercury. Makes no sense to build one if the market would not support the Classic. Initially rumours said two new phones and they will be the Neon and the Argon. Why would Chen waste money on building a PKB android if he just shut down the Classic? Wouldn't make sense.
    I think it makes all the sense in the world. In my opinion, the classic failed not because of the pkb, not because of the specs, but the app gap. Pkb phones are marketed to the 'productive end user'. The classic did everything well, except it lagged with its android runtime.

Now they bring out a phone to solve the app gap, and retains the pkb, and in my opinion, still does what productive users will need it for. If priced right, it should do well.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 04:52 PM
    Without having any skin in the game or any knowledge of the situation here is my take.

If we do see a Android version of a physical keyboard, I suspect it will be a lower cost, middle of the range phone.

The majority of the ever shrinking BlackBerry user base are corporate and government clients and they don't have the financial resources to spend $700+ on phones for all their employees. John Chen has said on several interviews that he regrets starting off with the Priv's high price since it mostly targeted C-Level executives like CEO, CFO etc.

The Classic was a middle of the range device and it sold fairly well considering its a BlackBerry device sold between 2014-2017?? Before they run out of stock? The reason for the ending of production had more to do with a lack of components for production as opposed to lack of demand. The biggest factor was that the Classic was a profitable device for BlackBerry.

In any event if BlackBerry is going to stay in the hardware game, it's going to be the Android's that keep them around. All the best!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 06:53 PM
    Without having any skin in the game or any knowledge of the situation here is my take.

If we do see a Android version of a physical keyboard, I suspect it will be a lower cost, middle of the range phone.

The majority of the ever shrinking BlackBerry user base are corporate and government clients and they don't have the financial resources to spend $700+ on phones for all their employees. John Chen has said on several interviews that he regrets starting off with the Priv's high price since it mostly targeted C-Level executives like CEO, CFO etc.

The Classic was a middle of the range device and it sold fairly well considering its a BlackBerry device sold between 2014-2017?? Before they run out of stock? The reason for the ending of production had more to do with a lack of components for production as opposed to lack of demand. The biggest factor was that the Classic was a profitable device for BlackBerry.

In any event if BlackBerry is going to stay in the hardware game, it's going to be the Android's that keep them around. All the best!

Posted via CB10
    How many Classic units did BlackBerry sell?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 08:17 PM

Posted via CB10

BlackBerry doesn't break out specific unit numbers for different models. In their quarterly financial reports they were always giving an estimate of BB10 vs BBOS devices. In the last little while or so I remember the numbers being in the 70-80% range in favor of BlackBerry 10.

When the Classic debuted in December of 2014 there wasn't much demand left for other BB10 devices outside of maybe the Passport and that was even limited to hard core fans. I do suspect that the Classic was the majority selling device for BlackBerry for the last little while. I don't have any concrete figures but I don't think 4 million units in sales is out of the realm of possibility. Nothing huge or anything but like I had said in an earlier post, it was a profitable phone for them which is something that some other phones couldn't claim.

I am gonna miss it but hopefully the form factor lives on in some capacity!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 09:16 PM
    To be brutally honest, because everyone who worked there no longer works there. New people, closed off relationships, renewed dedication to the 'no leaks' atmosphere Chen has created, no angry employees getting booted so no 'screw it, I'm out anyway' attitude.

Nowadays, most BlackBerry stuff isn't going to leak until it hits carrier / retailer levels and even then it's hard because really, a lot of carrier employees couldn't possibly care less about the latest BlackBerry being pushed out. It's not even on their radar to even bother with leaking it unless they're BlackBerry fans themselves.
    Great summary here. I bought 2 Classic's as backups last week. But I am curious how the Mercury will turn out, if it turns out. Have a bit of a longer wait to see, it seems.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-10-16 10:50 PM
    Guess this forum can be renamed to remove the Hamburg reference.
    07-26-16 11:53 AM
    Classic stopped production because the chips it uses are no longer being produced. How does that at all apply to upcoming phones??

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-26-16 12:23 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm not interested in the Mercury or the rome but the Argon.

You guys seen those specs?

Sd 820
    Fingerprint scanner
    Quick charge 3.0
    USB type c.
    21 mega pixel primary camera
    8 mega pixel secondary camera
    4 gig ram

And a horrible 3000 mah battery.. Like er?

Any way. I still think I might .. Not saying I will as I am happy with my priv apart from the atrocious battery life and S0T I get. I get about 24 hours usage on 3 hours SOT.. Total BS for a phone with such a huge battery.

But if the battery endurance rating on the argon shows me something good I might dip into my budget and kick the priv to the curve. MIGHT being the keyword.

Just my 5 cents.
    User interface is much more important for me than another GHz of CPU power. As long as it's powerful enough to run smoothly, any extra will not make my user experience any better as compared to having a pkb. But I'll keep my BB10 phone until it dies.

pooyam likes this.
    07-26-16 12:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    I love these "arguments." There are a lot of reasons why the Classic didn't sell. But everyone will pick out one aspect they themselves do not believe in and if a phone that failed happens to have that one feature, it has to be because of that, lol.

07-26-16 12:28 PM
    OK everyone! The ones that are here for argon can get out of the post it's about mercury sorry pals!
    The nagging children "it won't come out since they stopped the production of classic " need to start thinking. Classic is old nokia doesn't still produce the 8210! Mercury will be pkb with ANDROID.
    Do you see the difference of mercury and classic? ANDROID deal with it

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 01:30 AM
    Can't wait for this phone. Would be the perfect successor to my q10 which is slowly dying on me

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 03:31 AM
    Well I am waiting for the silver one also.
    07-29-16 06:45 AM
    Love my Q10, also use BB10 OS and love it as well. If the heard is moving to Android and I have to go with them, would gladly step in line for a similar hardware PKB phone and work on my Android skills than be forced to all touch.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 08:50 AM
    Mercury is probably just the code name. The real name could be something like "CALCULATRON3000"
    sid89 likes this.
    07-29-16 08:54 AM
    I wonder if the new Android pkb device will come with a toolbelt

#whatisclassic
    07-29-16 10:40 AM
    I wonder if the new Android pkb device will come with a toolbelt

#whatisclassic
    We can only hope, but most likely not.

07-29-16 11:18 AM
    I would still jump on it even without toolbelt. Seems dated to me to have toolbelt on it but know some folks love it

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 01:41 PM
77 1234