Well, let's be honest here. I hear lots of rumors. Many of them reek of BS from miles away but I recently heard one that, after today's purported leaked specs for the 'Hamburg', became A LOT more interesting and I'll tell you why, because I like you guys. Before I dip into this, I want to highlight AGAIN, this is a rumor and I'm not going to put it on the blogs because I fully admit it's a bit shady and I can't find anyone else to really back me up on it as of yet.

Baseline Rumor: BlackBerry will release two mid-range Android devices but rather than being BlackBerry in-house designs, BlackBerry has partnered with Alcatel for at least one of those devices, namely the Hamburg being a re-branded Alcatel Idol 4, if not both.

Why it's plausible: Aside from the obvious fact that BlackBerry needs to cut their hardware cost in order to be profitable, after recalling this rumor upon reading the Hamburg specs from today I once again went and look at the Idol 4 specs and they pretty much match up identically. Right down to the '10GB of storage space' some people lost their mind about, not understanding Android 6.0.1 and apps make up the other 6GB for a full 16GB. Heck, the Idol 4 even looks close to the renders of the Hamburg @DHabkirk created, despite him basing those on the Passport SE/Internal designs.

Heard a rumor...-alcatel-idol-4-4s-5.jpg

Now, remember all that talk of there being a 'special key'? Well, guess what, the Idol 4 has a special key as well. It's called the Boom Key and as Android Central notes, it's similar to that of what we would know as a convenience key on BlackBerry.

Alcatel's also introducing a new programmable button in its latest devices. The "Boom" key, located on the right edge, can perform a variety of tasks depending on what the phone's currently doing. With the screen off, a quick press launches you directly into the camera app. At the launcher, the Boom key fires up an animation reflecting current weather conditions. And within Alcatel's video app, you can press the key to trigger special video effects.

Needless to say, along with the specs, looks, and that special key mention, this rumor is starting to carry a lot of weight. Personally, I'm not sure what to think of this as of yet, and really I don't care unless it's confirmed, but it would certainly be an interesting move for BlackBerry, though, I'm not sure it would be welcomed by all.

In any case, I again, can't stress enough that this still remains just a rumor and I'm really just speculating when it comes to the details. You all can let me know what you think... plausible... BS.. whatever. How you would feel if it's real... would you be interested in it?
    05-18-16 05:53 PM
    We like it when you get interested, and yes hmmmm
    Bla1ze, dpw09, dannykavs and 4 others like this.
    05-18-16 06:18 PM
    interesting indeed. Does BB have the balls to actually sell this device for $400 when you can get the real Idol 4 for like half that price? Guess time will tell
    05-18-16 06:31 PM
    Plausible especially as BlackBerry marks up the base price for revenue hahaha �\_(ツ)_/�

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 06:34 PM
    Now how long until someone somewhere reports this as gospel?
    05-18-16 06:39 PM
    The phone seems mediocre across all fronts, and even though it might bear the BlackBerry logo and name, it will be decidedly even less "BlackBerry" than the Priv, which at least was designed (and thoughtfully so) by BlackBerry.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-18-16 06:46 PM
    interesting indeed. Does BB have the balls to actually sell this device for $400 when you can get the real Idol 4 for like half that price? Guess time will tell
    'Secure smartphones' Lol
    05-18-16 06:47 PM
    Now how long until someone somewhere reports this as gospel?
    Should I add more disclaimers? Lol
    05-18-16 06:49 PM
    Blackberry will become part of Nokia--you heard it here first.
    Ray0404 and Avenzuno like this.
    05-18-16 06:53 PM
    Priv is a G4 with a Samsung screen tho lol

Posted via CB10
    Ray0404 likes this.
    05-18-16 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the info Blaze. Rumor or not, good to have any new info. As long as this is priced well, it'd be interesting

Posted via my Passport SE
    schwede and Ernest Xiang like this.
    05-18-16 07:05 PM
    And it looks like a pretty good little device. I'm sure a lot of people would be quite happy with it.
    05-18-16 07:08 PM
    This is a logical cost-cutting strategy. If the value you add is software then you might as well outsource everything hardware-related. There's no point in designing your own mid-range slab phone when there are literally hundreds of the same kind of phones out there.
    05-18-16 07:15 PM
    Honestly not surprised. They said many times they are a software company that happen to make (in this case, sell,) phones. Plus, they simply have no leverage on parts to hit the price targets. Everyone complained the Priv was expensive but didn't bother to understand why it was so. Might as well outsource it, then focus all the effort on the software.

Maybe not a direct rebrand that looks exactly the same, but the guts, PCB design would be shared. Kind of like modern car manufacturing, same platform and engines, different body, ride height, suspension settings to build different cars. But you save a lot on parts, development and especially regulatory.

Heck, Samsung is an expert at this, look at how fast they flood the market with variants of the same freakin' phone.

Although this might leave the Rome up in the air, they don't really have anything to rebrand from. Maybe Rome will be the last in-house design with Alcatel building it.
    05-18-16 07:15 PM
    Heck, the Idol 4 even looks close to the renders of the Hamburg @DHabkirk created, despite him basing those on the Passport SE/Internal designs.
    OK to be fair, every freakin' phone looks the freakin' same these days... just a large retangular slab.
    acovey and Wezard like this.
    05-18-16 07:21 PM
    OK to be fair, every freakin' phone looks the freakin' same these days... just a large retangular slab.
    True...but..

Heard a rumor...-blackberry-hamburg-concept-render-copy.jpg
    05-18-16 07:30 PM
    Well I don't know whether to call this BS or not. However, if I see this same blog Under the Bridge, it'll have to be true, because everything there is fact.
    Carjackd and moody like this.
    05-18-16 07:42 PM
    True...but..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry-Hamburg-concept-render copy.jpg 
Views:	2582 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	400116
    One can argue it's the HTC M7 as well... which in turn took the design from the iPhone.

Heard a rumor...-htc-m7-vs-iphone-5.jpg

Heck it looks like a Z30 with speed holes.

Heard a rumor...-blackberry-z30-1.jpg

Just ever more proof they running out of ideas for phone designs.
    05-18-16 07:50 PM
    People seem to forget that the renders that came out for the Hamburg and Rome weren't BlackBerry leaks, rather a render from somebody's recall who apparently 'saw' the prototype phones.

I don't know why people still refer to these 'leaked' renders as the actual phones BlackBerry plans to release.

Just a friendly reminder...

Posted via CB10
    anon(8444762) and CDM76 like this.
    05-18-16 07:51 PM
    I don't know why people still refer to these 'leaked' renders as the actual phones BlackBerry plans to release.
    Because reading is a lost art.
    05-18-16 07:59 PM
    Because cats are awesome, and I like that.
    Word.
    Bla1ze, Wezard, Gatmyer and 1 others like this.
    05-18-16 08:05 PM
    When Blaze speaks, I listen!

Honestly though, I was kinda confused as to why this is in the Vienna section. There should be a Hamburg and Rome section separately. Still, it's great to see Blaze out here in the "city" with us common CrackBerrians.
    Jrox74, bbafdad, zephyr613 and 1 others like this.
    05-18-16 08:24 PM
    Heck it looks like a Z30 with speed holes.
    LOL @ "speed holes"
    Plazmic Flame and CDM76 like this.
    05-18-16 09:17 PM
    Any rumours on the Rome PKB?
    05-18-16 10:09 PM
    Don't tell anyone but this is what I've seen for the Rome.

from my Priv
    Attached Thumbnails Heard a rumor...-5343.jpg  
    05-18-16 10:20 PM
228 123 ...