Hello.

I've owned my Q5 for nigh on two years now (January 2nd of 2016) and from then on, my contract will be finished. This phone has served me very well and is still in working order but I would like to get a new phone, but if I can't find one in time then I'll buy a sim to use until I'm ready.

I came here to ask for suggestions from other BlackBerry users who own multiple devices from the BB10 and the newly founded 'Android-Berry' series.

I've been eyeing these two phones because I love keyboards and I'm much more efficient on them. However, I believed that it was too similar to my Q5 (hopefully someone can persuade me to believe otherwise) and I'm 16, which means I consume a lot of media, games and apps which has been provided by my iPod, but it is slowing down now and my Q5 nor any PKB devices can fill that void sadly. I was considering the iPhone 6S, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SpartanSK117; 12-29-15 at 02:14 AM.
    12-29-15 01:53 AM
    Hello.

I've owned my Q5 for nigh on two years now (January 2nd of 2016) and from then on, my contract will be finished. This phone has served me very well and is still in working order but I would like to get a new phone, but if I can't find one in time then I'll buy a sim to use until I'm ready.

I came here to ask for suggestions from other BlackBerry users who own multiple devices from the BB10 and the newly founded 'Android-Berry' series.

I've been eyeing these two phones because I love keyboards and I'm much more efficient on them. However, I believed that it was too similar to my Q5 (hopefully someone can persuade me to believe otherwise) and I'm 16, which means I consume a lot of media, games and apps which has been provided by my iPod, but it is slowing down now and my Q5 nor any PKB devices can fill that void sadly. I was considering the iPhone 6S, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    If PKB is a must.... a Classic would be most like your Q5 with a "slight" bump in specs.

Passport would be a HUGE upgrade, in size and specs.

PRIV.... well if your not sure the 6S is worth the price, forget the PRIV.

My taught is if you are "invested" in the Apple ecosystem.... stick with an iPhone. Even a cheaper older one like the 5S would be an improvement over the Q5 specs. If you really want a PKB device and can transition over to the Android ecosystem, the PRIV would be your best option. Personally I just wouldn't invest anymore into a BB10 device....
    12-29-15 09:37 AM
    I am actually pretty much in the same boat, I have a Q5, though it's the limited edition red version, which makes it a bit cooler. at first, I didn't like this phone, I was much more used to my iPhone 5c, which was good enough for me even though most would likely consider it a crappy phone. I use mostly mac(book) stuff, so the apple to apple ease was nice. I don't remember the 5c being that slow, but I didn't load it with a ****load of unneeded apps.

but my iPhone got stolen one day :"(, so after bricking it hopefully, my mom gave me hers to use, since she didn't really use it, or even really know how.

it did in fact take some getting used to. but after a while, I got the hang of it, and to be honest, I REALLY like some aspects of it, even over the iPhone. I like the non-touch keyboard, and the distance between keys (letter edges don't touch) this makes typing really really fast and easy. I like how a lot of the time, u can hold something, to get a bunch more options, usually select multiple things to with it from there. and I haven't even used/explored much of the phones abilities, and it can do some pretty cool, and neat things you wouldn't expect of it, that back then must have been ahead of it's time back then. and i ie; I don't use BBM or any BB-ID neccesary things, barely use crackberry etc, , which i'm sure makes it exponentially more useful, just like apps do for an iPhone.

hardware wise, (and this is another reason why this post was long; a test), comparing to an iphone, would, unless you are comparing to the 5c, will prop be at a loss. and that's where this phone shows it's faults. it will lag if have a lot going on, it usually lags when a msg is this long, and u press 'sym', it'll come up at like. 20 second delay. if your running multiple progs, w/internet on, u will get lags. not old-school lags, but noticeable and annoying all the same.

for a while now i've been wanting to get an iPhone, i've had a free upgrade for like a year now. so I went to the store during all the boxing day sales, they said that i'd have to change my plan to one that's 70$/mo MIN. **** that. I don't need a lot of data, there's free wifi everywhere and at my home. the prices for data have gotten so ****ty. I used to pay 60$/mo for unlim+6gb data, then it went unlimited, now it's been going backwards? 1gb is like 70$? one store in the mall said they could put me on the 45$ plan with a little data, but i'd get a free 5s, so I might try that.

the prices for the phones are insane, and they want to lock u in at an insane plan rate for 2 years? it doesn't seem worth it.

in which case, i'll start to get into the full functionality of the phone. perhaps updating and such can help with speed. it is an awesome phone. and the bright side over an iPhone is, it takes SD cards in, has micro usb for data and charging, and most if not almost all the things the iphone can do, this can as well, it may just require more creativity. in terms of sync'ing, I just manually manage the folders, I add and take away the music I want to change, stuff I wanna save, drag and drop. it seems easier to me that dealing with itunes or BBLINK or whatever.

so adding the new OS, (10?), then adding something else makes it an android o's?, ir just adds android store/android compatibility? since everything is either iOS, or android, that would help ALOT.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-15 02:02 PM
    Here in Canada,

The last q5 I bought a few months ago was $99.

A new iPhone6s is about $900 to $1,200.

The phones are on the opposite ends of the price spectrum so it is difficult to compare the two. Certainly not an apple to apple comparison. ( bad pun I know).

Whatever you decide, don't get roped into a 2 year contract. Just buy the phone that you can afford, or keep your q5 a little longer and lower your monthly payments by going pre-paid month by month so that you are in control of your own phone destiny.

Freedom is knowing that you aren't tied into some expensive monthly contract.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-15 09:02 PM
    Incredible how a 16 year old loves BB10.
    My suggestion would be to try a Classic.
    I test drove a Q5 for a few months before firming up my mind on Classic. The experience is positive. LCD screen is the common denominator for me between the two. (so it was easy to skip Q10 - amoled)
    12-30-15 11:07 PM
    Had a similar situation recently where a phone is the household was being upgraded. Went from a Q5 to a Classic. Couldn't be happier.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 11:23 PM
    Coming from a Q5, the only BB10 device I would consider would be the Passport. There simply is not enough of a jump from the Q5 to make any other one worthwhile.

I love the Priv, but if you can't afford an iPhone, then it might be out of reach.
    12-30-15 11:46 PM
    if you want to keep your Q5 and have a touchscreen besides, you ca get a Z10 for probably $100, a Z30 for around $200, or, i recently fell in love with the Z3, which cost me $157.

you can switch your simcard between the phones as they all use a micro. the Z10 and Z30 both have the micro hdmi port. Z30 has USB to go.

if what you want is a touchscreen to complement the keyboard phone (and I love the Q5 too!), these are all good phones. Z10 only drawback is weak battery, Z30 is the best for being just the best phone ever made, but the Z3 is just easier to grab and hold, it feels bigger and thinner than the Z30 but they are pretty much the same size, seems more like a phone for grabbing and going.

Are these really upgrades from your Q5? myself having never had or wanted an eyephone i dont understand why they would be worth paying more for than a BlackBerry.

if i could have only one BlackBerry it would have been the Z30. Until the Blue Classic came along. Now it would be the Blue Classic. for me sometimes you want a touchscreen, sometimes you want a keyboard. ones not really an upgrade over another, and they are all amazingly affordable, if you dont get them from the phone company. I recently got the Classic for $300 on sale at BlackBerry. it was an offer i could not refuse. Gorgeous BLUE. but this one takes a nano.
    Last edited by to boldly go; 12-31-15 at 09:50 AM. Reason: nano
    12-31-15 09:46 AM
    Passport. Passport. Passport!

(Being 16, the classic isn't much different from the Q5. The Priv probably would get you access to more games. But the hardware for the price, I can't recommend BlackBerry yet for Android OS. So iPhone is probably your best experience at that age)

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    jope28 likes this.
    12-31-15 09:48 AM
    Priv is getting a price lowering on February as I have heard. Maybe try it if the price goes down.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 04:59 AM