So..Saw the Leap close in person. Loved it. Got two for family members. Thought about getting one myself until I found myself and my Q5 looking for a restaurant. I was miserable. This is where BB could benefit from those glaring apps that are just pure entertainment or lifestyle, whatever the category is. That same day, I went on to Amazon, saw the fire phone unlocked for $179 and decided to give it a shot. I mean, an unlocked peppy phone for $179, you just cant go wrong. Plus I already had 2 firetv and 2 kindle fire ( I really dig Amazon ecosystem. Is Android with 100% less malaware). Long story short. Its been a week and I miss the practicality of my Q5 and BB10. The accessibility of things that makes BB10 just a well thought device...I found a companion on my fire phone but the Q5, still the workhorse of the house and my job. I can do things with one hand. I can easily put it in my pocket. I can quickly check on my beloved twitter...If there is a device I would like BB to come up with a follow up it would be that cheap Q5..its been the best in our house. I can only compare it to our Z10 (whose battery died the other day) and the Leaps we got.. Have to give credit to the fire phone though. It will be the phone I carry on my weekends and outgoings. For work, Q5 all the way.
    lift likes this.
    07-07-15 05:09 PM
    I almost grabbed the fire phone because my prime membership was due and that would have meant the phone was a $80 real cost. Price went back up just as I was about to pull the trigger.

How does the signal compare between the q5 and fire phone? I'm curious about the dBm strength using the BlackBerry signal app from blackberry world vs the strength you can access in the Android settings.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 06:08 PM
    the fire phone is pretty crappy. Amazon's fork is horrible. Its worth the prime subscription though. I got it fro 179 applied the prime subscription and sold the phone new for 159
    lift likes this.
    07-07-15 06:19 PM
    I almost grabbed the fire phone because my prime membership was due and that would have meant the phone was a $80 real cost. Price went back up just as I was about to pull the trigger.

How does the signal compare between the q5 and fire phone? I'm curious about the dBm strength using the BlackBerry signal app from blackberry world vs the strength you can access in the Android settings.

Posted via CB10
    Good that you mention that. Q5 = better signal including wifi
    lift likes this.
    07-07-15 07:20 PM
    the fire phone is pretty crappy. Amazon's fork is horrible. Its worth the prime subscription though. I got it fro 179 applied the prime subscription and sold the phone new for 159
    I love firefly feature. Spec wise is really good. I really like the phone and wouldn't call it crappy. I was comparing it to my friends nexus 5 and fire phone has nothing to be ashame of. Speed wise I noticed no difference between the two. Apps, same. Size factor I prefer the nexus wider feel. I like Amazon droid fork. I am used to it. I dont need any external app to see which apps are still running since I can just push them away..all in all, very satisfied with the phone and would consider the 2nd version.
    07-07-15 07:23 PM
    To add more, the screen of the fire phone is better than nexus and leap. Also the fire phone camera is outstanding. It even includes burst mode which I have found very useful already
    07-07-15 08:09 PM
    I have tried a lot of phones ( just curiosity) and nothing is so fluid like BB10

Posted via CB10
    nick13b, greenpoise and Catberry74 like this.
    07-08-15 11:24 PM
    I kinda like the Fire Phone myself but I'm happy with my Q10. Thinking about getting a Q5 as a backup.

Posted via Q10
    greenpoise likes this.
    07-12-15 09:31 PM
    To add more, the screen of the fire phone is better than nexus and leap. Also the fire phone camera is outstanding. It even includes burst mode which I have found very useful already
    The q5 also has burst.
    The amazon phone doesn't have the playstore?
    Pretty sure your q5 can do anything that phone can do. But nice to have a big screen at times
    07-12-15 11:20 PM
    The q5 also has burst.
    The amazon phone doesn't have the playstore?
    Pretty sure your q5 can do anything that phone can do. But nice to have a big screen at times
    Nope it doesn't but to be honest, I have been able to load anything playstore has. Its android after all... came back to say how much I miss my Q5 (the sim card holder broke)... also, been using the leap and to be honest, the Q5 is a better phone. At least I am more productive on it. Video recording on my Q5 is easier (dont have to be rotating the phone). I found a few places that would fix the Q5 but expensive. So.. I am going to tackle it myself and try to fix...if I cant, I might go classic or try to grab another Q5...
    07-25-15 01:11 PM
    Every once and a while I put my sim back in my z30, but I always end up coming back to my q5!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 01:03 PM
    Every once and a while I put my sim back in my z30, but I always end up coming back to my q5!

Posted via CB10
    so practical!! My wife has the Z10 and Leap but everytime she picks my Q5 up, she raves about it!
    07-27-15 12:47 PM
    I'm using the Q5 every day. I run my business with it. It's a great phone. Every day I say thank you to BlackBerry for this phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:35 PM
    A few weeks ago my Q5 went from Wifi status to Sim status and it's just a workhorse. You can't beat it's form factor.

My Q5/Z30 have proven to be the killer combination for work/play.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) and lift like this.
    08-04-15 07:05 AM
    Back to Q5 after going full circle through my other devices. The Z30 of all things was struggling with signal in rural areas unless on a call (not as good as my Passport but still beating competing phones making my friends envious) so I tried my 8520 as an experiment for fun for a couple weeks. Then I was like, if only there was a BB10 Curve.. oh yeah, the Q5!

I feel like I've been cryogenically frozen coming from the Curve again. The Q5 is so sick and quick with a sweet screen but feels gigantic now lol. It sat for a couple months but still held a solid charge, unlike my Z10 which uses battery and will be flat dead after a couple weeks even if turned off! Missing the trackpad a little as it already feels weird to be touching the screen again (I even ridiculously tried using the search icon on the screen inside of the file manager as a trackpad by dumb habit haha!) . A Q5 with newer features like a capacitive touch keyboard would be awesome! The keys are not quite as satisfyingly clicky as the Curve but still good and I'm typing way more now than I ever do on a touch screen!

And why is the sound so good on Q5!? Even lossy audio over cheap headphones sounds good imho with sizzling highs, tight lows, and a nice stereo separation. I like something about all BlackBerry devices but glad I'm using this one again

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    10-09-15 08:43 AM