Hey guys, I have been a passport user for the past 6 months and I love BB10. However, I have to give up my phone (due to things beyond my control) and so I am now on the lookout for a new BB10 phone.
    My usage is fairly limited: lots of BBMs, emails, crackberry, whatsapp messages and some facebook stuff. Aside from that, I occasionally browse the web and use Snapchat(the android version). I also use corky notes and remember for note taking. And I definitely need a loud speaker for alarms.
    So, my question is: Is it a good idea to save a ton of money and buy a Q5 or a Q10 instead of paying triple the amount for a passport?
    Also, can I expect a significant performance difference between the Q5 and Q10? Is it enough to justify a difference of approx. 500 AED (dirhams)?
    Thanks for your time guys.

PS: If anyone knows of any good store (not online) in Dubai that sells BB10 phones for cheap, please do tell me; the blackberry store in Dubai Mall is expensive!
    04-27-15 02:51 PM
    Hey guys, I have been a passport user for the past 6 months and I love BB10. However, I have to give up my phone (due to things beyond my control) and so I am now on the lookout for a new BB10 phone.
    My usage is fairly limited: lots of BBMs, emails, crackberry, whatsapp messages and some facebook stuff. Aside from that, I occasionally browse the web and use Snapchat(the android version). I also use corky notes and remember for note taking. And I definitely need a loud speaker for alarms.
    So, my question is: Is it a good idea to save a ton of money and buy a Q5 or a Q10 instead of paying triple the amount for a passport?
    Also, can I expect a significant performance difference between the Q5 and Q10? Is it enough to justify a difference of approx. 500 AED (dirhams)?
    Thanks for your time guys.

PS: If anyone knows of any good store (not online) in Dubai that sells BB10 phones for cheap, please do tell me; the blackberry store in Dubai Mall is expensive!
    125 euro difference between both is a lot.
    Q5 is a good phone without the capability to remove the battery.
    I buy lot of second hand Q5 or Q10 for about 100 euro, sometimes 120 euro max.
    I find the Q5 keyboard nicer to hold in my hand and works nicer.
    Also the ability to remove the simcard without removing the battery is very cool.

The Q10 has a better look and has I suppose better specs but not significant.

You can find a Q5 for about 150 euro and a Q10 for about 200 euro.
    04-27-15 04:06 PM
    BBM and e-mail is top notch on the Q5, the CrackBerry and WhatsApp apps are one the most well designed on BB10 and Facebook works good as well. Don't know about Snapchat but otherwise the Q5 which can be found as cheap as 100 USD sounds perfect for you. Just try the devices in store first (if you can).

Via Pasta CB10
    Mansoor2 and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-27-15 04:28 PM
    Used to have a q10 with the double typing. Then the charging port crapped out, then all the 10.3 bugs hit. Grabbed a new q5 for under $100 cnd, unlocked it. Love the q5. It doesn't look as nice, or feel as sturdy as the q10, but the keyboard works better and no double typing. I don't miss the removable battery, and the q5 battery life is better than the q10! I don't run a lot of apps, so the lower internal storage does not effect me at all. I don't find the q5 to be any slower or faster (processor wise) that the q10. I never used the hdmi out on the q10, just miracast, which the q5 also has.

Good deal for the money as far as i'm concerned.

Posted via CB10
    double_fault and Sal1982 like this.
    04-28-15 11:33 AM
    Definitely. It can be had at a steal of a price these days.

Great keyboard (no double typing, as others have pointed out), great battery life (2-3 days on moderate use for me), nice bright LCD screen, good speaker quality, apps and browsing work great. All OS releases I've tried from 10.2.x-10.3.1 have worked great. Only downside I can think of is the low internal storage, but hasn't bothered me.

Go for it!
    04-28-15 12:25 PM
    I have used Q10 in past and using Q5 now. I feel better display, better keys on the Q5 and much better value for money. Q10 has upper hand on looks though!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:08 PM
    For the $25.00 a Q5 costs at Loblaws, sure, why not, lol.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    04-29-15 10:11 AM
    Thanks for the inputs guys, going to the blackberry store on Saturday to pick one up!
    PS- still waiting for a hero to tell me of a good store in Dubai
    04-30-15 02:56 PM
    I'd stay away from used Q10s. They might be diseased with double typing keys...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 10:59 PM
    125 euro difference between both is a lot.
    Q5 is a good phone without the capability to remove the battery.
    I buy lot of second hand Q5 or Q10 for about 100 euro, sometimes 120 euro max.
    I find the Q5 keyboard nicer to hold in my hand and works nicer.
    Also the ability to remove the simcard without removing the battery is very cool.

The Q10 has a better look and has I suppose better specs but not significant.

You can find a Q5 for about 150 euro and a Q10 for about 200 euro.
    What? Not significant? Its obvious that you havent tried the Q10!

I would much rather have the 10 than the 5 by a long shot! Check the specs again dude! If you happen to purchase the 10 with dble type, I can sell you a new keyboard for it cheap! It will fix the problem! I have done it before I purchased my Passport.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    andy957 and mighthor like this.
    04-30-15 11:13 PM
    A Q5 kills the Q10 for performance and has a better screen (LCD). Don't tell me about a Q10, I had lots of them. I'd much rather a Q5 any day. Nicer, better battery life, better screen, and ZERO double typing issues.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    Umaima_B_Dia and double_fault like this.
    05-01-15 12:21 AM
    What? Not significant? Its obvious that you havent tried the Q10!

I would much rather have the 10 than the 5 by a long shot! Check the specs again dude! If you happen to purchase the 10 with dble type, I can sell you a new keyboard for it cheap! It will fix the problem! I have done it before I purchased my Passport.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    Well, I agree with this. The Q5 is entry level, if money is a problem of course it's a good phone but the Q10 is a better device, can't really argue with that. I tried the Q5 for 2 weeks while my passport was on repair and personally I did not like the feel of the keyboard. I prefer the Q10/classic type of keys.
    05-01-15 12:46 AM
    Yes get a q5, it is such a great phone. I also have a passport and to be honest Im just as efficiently on it.. For the money it is unmatched.
    05-03-15 01:24 AM
    I use a Q5 for basic communication plus occasional browsing. It can do it all without any problems. It exceeds my retired Q10 wrt keyboard, battery life, screen,pocketability and feel in the hand. I use it to run my business, every day.

If you also buy a soft or hard shell case, then it significantly enhances the "feel " when using it.

I prefer it over the other Blackberrys not because of the price, but rather it serves my needs better.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    05-03-15 03:21 AM
    I don't know why it shows the question poster as "Guest", I asked it. Anyway, I ended up getting a great deal on the q10 and bought it instead of the 5. Reasons? The q10 looks better, feels better in hand and has a significantly softer keyboard. Also, with the battery charger bundle I literally never have to charge my phone - simply swap out the battery in the morning: a major convenience! I just have my fingers crossed that the dreaded double typing doesn't show up. Otherwise, I am really happy with the purchase.
    Thanks for your inputs guys!

PS- if anyone's looking for a good store for BB phones on the cheap in dubai, check out fono or axiom: much cheaper than the BB store in dubai mall.
    Last edited by Mansoor2; 05-04-15 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added stores
    05-04-15 11:24 AM
    Q5 has a better keyboard. They're both good, but double-typing will creep in on the Q10. The upside is that the Q10 is easily user repairable. I still like the Q5 keyboard's typing experience better.

The Q5 screen is an LCD instead of the Amoled in the Q10. Another point for the Q5 in my book.

Now in my opinion, the performance difference is noticeable. 10.3.1 the Q10 is snappy. Haven't tested it with the Q5 yet. But in 10.2.1, I could tell a difference in everyday use. Nothing major, but I could tell.

Camera? Q10 is a lot better. But still not great. Just decent enough and pretty good in good light.

Feel? Q10 again. You'll need a case for the Q5 as a naked one has no grip.

So if the price is close, I'd go Q10. But if the Q5 can be had for half the price, go with that. It's more reliable overall and they keyboard is arguably better.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702), andy957 and lift like this.
    05-06-15 06:45 AM
    I'd stay away from used Q10s. They might be diseased with double typing keys...

Posted via CB10
    Bought 2. Both good.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:14 PM
    I have a Q5. Its a great device and very snappy. For what you need OP it should work great.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    lift likes this.
    05-11-15 03:20 PM
    I have a Q5. Its a great device and very snappy. For what you need OP it should work great.

Hey Grover, as I said above, I ended up buying the q10 - prefer the keyboard and the battery bundle

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 03:29 AM
    I have 2 Q10's and almost never use them. I find the cellular reception on them to be weak. I live in a poor signal area and the Q5 and Z10 work fine but the Q10 does not. Same OS, SIM and carrier. I was very surprised as to how much I like the Q5 (I'm a big Z10 fan). I just received the Q5 about a week ago and was so impressed that I just ordered a second one.
    Pcmx likes this.
    05-19-15 03:51 PM
    I don't know why it shows the question poster as "Guest", I asked it. Anyway, I ended up getting a great deal on the q10 and bought it instead of the 5. Reasons? The q10 looks better, feels better in hand and has a significantly softer keyboard. Also, with the battery charger bundle I literally never have to charge my phone - simply swap out the battery in the morning: a major convenience! I just have my fingers crossed that the dreaded double typing doesn't show up. Otherwise, I am really happy with the purchase.
    Thanks for your inputs guys!

PS- if anyone's looking for a good store for BB phones on the cheap in dubai, check out fono or axiom: much cheaper than the BB store in dubai mall.
    Good deal. Hope you enjoy your Q10 and it works out well for you! I was tempted by the 10 but went with the 5 to stay away from the possible double type but also for the difference in money. But would have liked to have a removable battery. Cheers

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 02:34 AM
    Another great feature of the Q5 over the Q10 most people don't mention much is that there is a bigger space between the keys and touchscreen on the Q5 making swipe gestures much easier than on the Q10.

anon(5597702) and lift like this.
    05-20-15 06:23 AM
    Another great feature of the Q5 over the Q10 most people don't mention much is that there is a bigger space between the keys and touchscreen on the Q5 making swipe gestures much easier than on the Q10.

I have seen a few people mention that but I guess it's a personal thing depending on how you place your hands while doing the gesture. Personally I have never had any issues with the gestures on either the 10 or the passport. Although the passport does have some issues with other gestures (one handed swipe down is impossible).

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    05-20-15 09:05 AM