I'm wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the plastic on their q5 chipping off. I have the red q5 and I don't always wear a case. In the 3 months i've had it I dropped it once on the ground and a big chunk fell out from around the top of the screen showing off a white almost powder like plastic underneath. As well with that my corners below my keyboard are starting to show white plastic which can be scratched with a nail. The plastic feels more like flour and water with a high gloss red paint on top. I'm also noticing on the back of my phone from going in and out of my holster there are very faint lines starting on the back which I can only assume will be white lines this time next year. I love the phone but this plastic is more powder than solid. Sup with that??

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-22-14 10:22 AM
    First, with threads like this you should 100% add an image of what you mean. The description is terribly vague.

Second, people opening this expect a phone literally falling apart as we speak. Since you are posting via CB10 we can only assume your device is now in pieces on the floor and our responses won't reach you in time.

Good luck on your next device purchase!

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    ibpluto, irweezyy, gvs1341 and 2 others like this.
    10-22-14 10:29 AM
    I need a second deviceeee! I need a second devicee! Haah. Well I've seen chips and scratches on a blackberry before but I've never had one chip and wear like this. It's just cheap plastic, I'm wondering if anyone else has the weird white plastic under their shiny new phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:31 AM
    *SINGING*

If you liked it then you should've put a case on it, if you liked it then you should've put a case on it...
    awindsr likes this.
    10-22-14 10:58 AM
    Second, people opening this expect a phone literally falling apart as we speak. Since you are posting via CB10 we can only assume your device is now in pieces on the floor and our responses won't reach you in time.
    rotfl

CB10 @ Q5
    10-22-14 02:52 PM
    Buy a silicone case to hold it together. I recently bought 2 curve 9320's used on ebay and the obvious abuse to these phones is incredible, especially since they both work fine. My own 9320 has had a cheap silicone case on for 2 years and is mint. Are cases uncool or something? Dude, Buy a case?
    My 3 black q-5 are fine. No cheap white placstic showing..
    10-22-14 06:27 PM
    *SINGING*

If you liked it then you should've put a case on it, if you liked it then you should've put a case on it...
    Oh no you dih ent!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 08:12 PM
    Buy a silicone case to hold it together. I recently bought 2 curve 9320's used on ebay and the obvious abuse to these phones is incredible, especially since they both work fine. My own 9320 has had a cheap silicone case on for 2 years and is mint. Are cases uncool or something? Dude, Buy a case?
    My 3 black q-5 are fine. No cheap white placstic showing..
    Problem with your suggestion is he mentioned that he uses a holster.
    Buy new parts and install them is what he will have to do if the holster is the method of packing.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 08:15 PM
    Yes, Q5 without a case is quite fragile.

A friend has a red one and preferred not to use a case, it fell on the road and it was chipped at the edges, in the shape of a fingernail below the keypad. As it's a solid colour and folks buy usually buy the red one because of its beauty, it starts becoming quite noticeable.

I have a red Q5 as well, however it's in mint condition because I use a silicone cover.

If you put on a case, you won't even notice the damage... until the keypad starts wearing off.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    10-23-14 12:14 AM
    Yes, Q5 without a case is quite fragile.

A friend has a red one and preferred not to use a case, it fell on the road and it was chipped at the edges, in the shape of a fingernail below the keypad. As it's a solid colour and folks buy usually buy the red one because of its beauty, it starts becoming quite noticeable.

I have a red Q5 as well, however it's in mint condition because I use a silicone cover.

If you put on a case, you won't even notice the damage... until the keypad starts wearing off.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    Hmmm seems like BB10 phones are awfully fragile. I recently dropped my Q10 ( sans case) on a tile floor and it suffered a deep dent in the back and the fall took out the rear camera as well!
    Thing is, I also dropped my Torch 9810 (r sans case) on the same floor with no ill effects! Really? A Torch built of cheap materials is tougher than a Q10 built of premium materials? Really?
    I've ordered a Q5 to replace my Q10 ( internal damage) and a couple of cases. But these BB10 devices seem awfully fragile. Just saying...
    10-25-14 10:25 PM
    And you need to stop testing their fragility :P

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    10-26-14 12:09 AM
    Pics or it didn't happen. Mirror

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 01:25 AM
    Hmmm seems like BB10 phones are awfully fragile. I recently dropped my Q10 ( sans case) on a tile floor and it suffered a deep dent in the back and the fall took out the rear camera as well!
    Thing is, I also dropped my Torch 9810 (r sans case) on the same floor with no ill effects! Really? A Torch built of cheap materials is tougher than a Q10 built of premium materials? Really?
    I've ordered a Q5 to replace my Q10 ( internal damage) and a couple of cases. But these BB10 devices seem awfully fragile. Just saying...
    Unreal.
    So premium means unbreakable?
    Give your head a shake. There are so many variables that make statements like this dopey. I challenge you to drop all your friends and family members phones on the same tile floor and let's see what phone comes out UNdamaged. None. And guess what, it matters how it lands. You were lucky with the torch and unlucky with the Q. Don't offer that one is better than the other crap. If all that you understand about physics is that one broke and one didn't.........

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 07:21 AM
    Unreal.
    Give your head a shake. There are so many variables that make statements like this dopey. I challenge you to drop all your friends and family members phones on the same tile floor and let's see what phone comes out UNdamaged. None. And guess what, it matters how it lands. You were lucky with the torch and unlucky with the Q. Don't offer that one is better than the other crap. If all that you understand about physics is that one broke and one didn't.........

Posted via CB10
    I wanted to say the same thing

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    10-26-14 07:25 AM
    Unreal.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe as you say my Q10 was unlucky and my Torch was lucky but speaking from experience. I tend to doubt it. I've had the Torch for over 1.5 and I've dropped it several times with only a few paint chips. For that matter I had a Curve 8900 back in the day and I dropped it a few times too and nothing happened to it if memory serves...
    As for your challenge, I'll put any of my Nokia Symbian phones up ; namely my E7, E6, 603 and 808. Yes I've dropped each of them at least a few times with no ill effects. And even my n8 which I no longer have suffered as a rule only tiny paint chips. One time I did destroy the headphone jack when I dropped the N8 EXACTLY wrong!
    Maybe that's what happened to my Q10. My Q5 will be getting a case just to be safe. Cheers!
    awindsr likes this.
    10-26-14 05:00 PM
    http://www.amazon.ca/Amzer-Hybrid-Bl...UvbUpU11020244

Amazing case, and the price is right. (Should be on other Amazons, too.)
    10-28-14 10:46 AM
    Unreal.

Posted via CB10
    1.5 years*.
    And yes premium materials are better quality ; this usually, though not always means tougher. Apparently BB10 devices are an exception...
    11-04-14 09:52 AM
    1.5 years*.
    And yes premium materials are better quality ; this usually, though not always means tougher. Apparently BB10 devices are an exception...
    Aren't iPhone 6's built with Godzilla glass or kryptonite or some such other marketing wanna have?
    They still bend easily and the glass shatters.
    11-05-14 02:34 PM
    Dropped my Q10 onto tile from about chest level. About 4 1/2 feet. It suffered a dent on the top corner. That's it. I replaced the entire housing and keyboard anyway but it didn't need it. It worked fine. I'd like to think I got lucky. Metal deforms whereas plastic doesn't. In the case of the plastic though, it can crack or chip given the right circumstances. Plastic is more prone to wearing out like in OP's case. BB10 phones are pretty resilient, but I don't expect much from a Q5 given it is meant to be a cheaper BlackBerry. I got a red Q5 for my dear mum and the first thing I did was buy a case to go with it. I kind of figured the same thing would happen eventually.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 02:49 PM
    Dropped my Q10 onto tile from about chest level. About 4 1/2 feet. It suffered a dent on the top corner. That's it. I replaced the entire housing and keyboard anyway but it didn't need it. It worked fine. I'd like to think I got lucky. Metal deforms whereas plastic doesn't. In the case of the plastic though, it can crack or chip given the right circumstances. Plastic is more prone to wearing out like in OP's case. BB10 phones are pretty resilient, but I don't expect much from a Q5 given it is meant to be a cheaper BlackBerry. I got a red Q5 for my dear mum and the first thing I did was buy a case to go with it. I kind of figured the same thing would happen eventually.

Posted via CB10
    Eddy_berry , that hasn't been my experience of BB10 devices . As I stated above , my Q10 died from a fall my BB Torch survived unscathed. That MIGHT have been bad luck , but my Q5 is also dead now, again as a result of an accident it should have survived.
    I accidentally shorted out the outlet my Q5 was charging from . After the outlet dried and I reset the breaker the outlet and the charger were fine but the Q5's touch screen never worked again . And yes , I was told it was not repairable. I tweeted #BlackberryHelps that as Blackberry had lost a customer, no reply. Says something, doesn't it ?
    My point here is that accidents happen yet Blackberry doesn't seem to understand this . OTOH , maybe it's a way to sell more devices ? If so I don't see business users being too thrilled about this. Either way, it's off to the Dark Side ( Windows Phone) for me ! And so far I'm enthused !
    02-07-15 06:19 PM
    First, with threads like this you should 100% add an image of what you mean. The description is terribly vague.

Good luck on your next device purchase!

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    Yes, good excuse for OP to (at least) have a look at the red Passport... ;-)

�   Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...   �
    02-16-15 05:01 AM