Hello everyone!

This thread is not about me. I have a Q10 that I love dearly. BUT, last night, my brother sort of mentioned that he was possibly contemplating a BlackBerry upgrade...

So, after I screamed for joy, I just calmly asked him to talk to me if he wants to know anything; as I've owned a BlackBerry device(s) for a few years. So, I'm now doing my research in case he does decide to talk to me (which might not happen, but I hope it does!).

He's not into the smartphone experience, really. He won't download two dozen apps, he won't be tweeting or spending hours playing with it. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money, and he has no remaining contract to pay. He purely wants a phone that gets email. Obviously, all smartphones can do that, but it sounds (so far) that he's considering a BlackBerry. I'm a little worried about what would happen if he chooses a legacy device and BlackBerry sells or something - what would happen to legacy device support? So I'm so far steering clear of the 9900, though I still am not ruling it out; as it's a really good device and he can get it cheaper now.

I'm looking at the Q10 versus the Q5. I told him about the Q5; as it was much cheaper price-wise and it could do everything my phone does. I've been researching the Q5 versus the Q10, and all I can see for differences are:

- the Q5 has a smaller pixel camera (or whatever it's called)
    - the Q5's battery cannot be taken out (not a big deal)
    - the Q5 has less storage (again, not a huge issue, as he won't be downloading lots of apps)
    - the keyboards
    - something about the Q5 having Instant Action. What is that?

So, what I really want to know is: of those of you who have or have tried a Q5 with big hands/fingers, how was the typing experience? Was the clicking sound too much to handle? Do you find your fingers missing keys? I just want to know, so if he asks before he goes to the store, he has a heads-up.

Thanks guys!
    08-29-13 03:29 PM
    Instant Action

Here’s a quick overview of the various shortcuts available to you while using a BlackBerry Q10 or Q5

Note: In order for these shortcuts to work, you must be viewing your Home screen.

Making a call - Type “call,” then the name or number of the person that you want to call. I.e., call Jen or call 123-456-7890

Sending an email - Type “email,” then the name or email address of the contact that you want to email.

Sending a text message - Type “text,” then the name or number of the person that you want to send a text message too.

Start a BBM Chat - Type “BBM,” followed by the name of the person you’d like to chat with.

Update your Facebook Status - Type “Facebook,” followed by your status update.

Post a tweet to Twitter - Type “tweet,” followed by your update.

Post a LinkedIn update - Type “LinkedIn,” followed by your update.

Add a note to BlackBerry Remember - Type “note,” followed by the contents of your note.

Add a task to BlackBerry Remember - Type “task,” followed by the contents of your task.

On top of using the examples listed above, in some cases you can type an alternative command instead.

An important thing to keep in mind however is that depending on what language your device is currently using, alternative shortcuts might not be available.

Make a call – Type the “phone number” or type “phone”, or “dial” followed by the number
    Send an email – Type “mail”
    Send a text message – Type “sms”, “msg”, or “message”
    Update your Facebook status – Type “fb”
    Post a tweet – Type “tweet”, or “tw”
    Post a LinkedIn Update – Type ”li”
    Add a note to BlackBerry Remember – Type “memo”
    Add a task to BlackBerry Remember – Type “todo”
    sylau90 likes this.
    08-29-13 03:41 PM
    I currently don't own a BBRY device, but was checking. I checked the Q5 in a store, and keyboard-wise these are my expressions:

Typing on Q5 felt more comfortable for me compared to Q10, even though I hate chiclet keyboards on notebook computers. The keys are clicky, but not disturbing. Key travel depth is not high. Typing with two hands on Q5 keyboard is comfortable, seems I won't miss keys. But with single hand use, Q10 may be more comfortable. This may also be due to slipperry nature of the device.
    During typing on Q5, I noticed the entire keyset laterally shifted, it's hard to describe but while typing the letter W, you can notice that key E moves slightly along the axis of your thumb's movement. Also key E moves slightly downwards while you hard press on W or R. You can see this happening with most of the neighbouring keys. If you or your brother do not mind about the nature of this keyboard, it is just Okay. If not, you should consider another model.
    And key size is perfect, even my thumbs are a bit thick (thanks to my dad and genetics!), I really felt comfortable typing on the keyboard.
    I recommend a visit to a shop to check the use of this keyboard.
    08-30-13 04:34 AM
    I have XL hands and I find the firm keys of the Q5 to work pretty well with big (clumsy) fingers. With the Q10 (tried at store only) I was not as successful. I seemed to double press many keys but I'm sure a person would adapt to either keyboard with use.

So far I'm really happy with the Q5 (have Z10 too). Very satisfying to be using a real keyboard on a super smooth and speedy operating system.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 05:18 AM
    Thank you so much for your responses, everyone! They are so helpful! I didn't realize this, but I actually tried Instant Action and was stunned that I can just write "text so-and-so" and the name pops up! Thank you again!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 10:12 AM