Hi there! I am coming from a Nexus 4 (and also a Bold 9650) and I was wondering if the Q5 would be worth it at $311 USD (390 SGD).

This is considering that I can get a Nexus 5 at around $380 USD including shipping, and that the Nexus 5 seems much better spec'd out as compared to the Q5.

What do you guys think? Should I spring for the Q5? It has a 2-year warranty here, whereas if I import the Nexus 5 I have to settle with 1-year warranty and pay shipping back to the US if I need it fixed.

Or should I get a Q10? It costs 660 SGD here, or around 530 USD.

Does the Q5 run Android apps as well as a native Android device?

I've played with the keyboard on a demo Q5 in a store and it wasn't as bad as what everyone is saying - the keys are much more spaced out and I make less mistakes than on my 9650.

(note: all prices are off-contract)

Thanks!
    12-12-13 06:58 AM
    The OS alone is worth that price. The fact that the Q5 is a decent phone is just icing on the cake. And one thing to note about the keyboard: sometimes the fake demo units have a keyboard that's a very poor representation of the real thing. The real keyboard is awesome.
    12-12-13 07:45 AM
    Hi there! I am coming from a Nexus 4 (and also a Bold 9650) and I was wondering if the Q5 would be worth it at $311 USD (390 SGD).

This is considering that I can get a Nexus 5 at around $380 USD including shipping, and that the Nexus 5 seems much better spec'd out as compared to the Q5.

What do you guys think? Should I spring for the Q5? It has a 2-year warranty here, whereas if I import the Nexus 5 I have to settle with 1-year warranty and pay shipping back to the US if I need it fixed.

I've played with the keyboard on a demo Q5 in a store and it wasn't as bad as what everyone is saying - the keys are much more spaced out and I make less mistakes than on my 9650.

Thanks!
    form factor wise, if you compare it to an android device, the nearest shluld be a htc cha cha. and for the weirdest reasons jtc cha chas are still being sold much more expensive ghan a q5. if you take the q5 and can accept 70-80% of android apps running on it, I think that the q5 is worth the money.
    12-12-13 07:54 AM

Thanks!
    The nexus 5 is being heralded as the BEST android device out there...pure android, amazing spec,s and unbeatable price......not sure what "graham" is talking about but the q5 is overpriced and poorly spec'd.....it is the worst of a line of bad bb10 phones (minus the z30). if you want ANYTHING android.....get the nexus 5, if you don't mind a severe cut if app selection (and therefore possible usage of your device) and must have a keyboard then I would suggest the q5...the upcoming OS updates will definitely allow for more android app crossover BUT it comes at the annoyance of sideloaded (relatively simple but still annoying considering how well google play services work). with that said, if you just need a communication device and don't need bb10 or possible android support then get the bold 9900...its about 100 bucks off contract now.
    12-12-13 08:07 AM
    As for android compatibility, most carriers have now pushed out os 10.2 that has significantly increased the number of Android apps supported. There is also 10.2.1 that hasn't been officially released yet, but you can install it and it makes Android apps support almost complete, while also making it easier to install Android apps. But first you can check if the apps you want are already available.

Despite what is said by Android enthusiasts that absolutely refuse the get the **** out of here and move on to Android Central, Blackberry 10 has significant advantages over a pure Android system. Most significantly is the Hub, which consolidates ALL notifications, messages, and conversations into a quick-to-access repository (that can be filtered when needed) which really has not be replicated in any other OS. There have been attempts, but they all only show unread notifications and still force you to go to the relevant application to respond or dig through older items.

It is a little bit more pricy compared to generic Android phones, but the hardware is pretty well built and is durable enough for daily usage.
    12-12-13 03:57 PM
    Thanks all for your views.

I'm not looking for 100% app compatibility (because I don't use all of the apps in the Play Store anyway).

From what I read, Google Play services are kinda hit and miss on BB10. Is that right? Google Play Music and Google Maps, do they work well?

I'd also be losing stuff I bought from the Play Store (such as SwiftKey Pro and Endomondo Pro), but those are not deal breakers because I got them on the $0.10 promotions.

Also, what are the odds that BlackBerry will come up with an updated version of the Q5 just next year? I would be quite... unhappy (haha!) if I were to get this now and BlackBerry introduces a new one next year.

Thank you!
    12-12-13 07:16 PM
    Being blackberry, I doubt they'll be fast in releasing stuffs anyway. If you're in Singapore, try finding out which bandwidth it is, then search online for people selling off their Q10/Q5 from neighbouring country. Most are probably few months old but still with warranty intact and in good condition. Plus they're cheaper now. My personal opinion is that Q5 is overpriced for what is considered a "low-budget" bbry. Might as well get a secondhand Q10 which is better specs and build quality.
    12-12-13 07:49 PM
    The Q5 is a great phone id recommend checking ebay or kijiji. Since 311$ seems a bit too much considering you can get a Z10 for 200$ .

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    12-12-13 09:05 PM
    Being blackberry, I doubt they'll be fast in releasing stuffs anyway. If you're in Singapore, try finding out which bandwidth it is, then search online for people selling off their Q10/Q5 from neighbouring country. Most are probably few months old but still with warranty intact and in good condition. Plus they're cheaper now. My personal opinion is that Q5 is overpriced for what is considered a "low-budget" bbry. Might as well get a secondhand Q10 which is better specs and build quality.
    Hi there! I'm just concerned about the warranty. AFAIK BB has no international warranty, but I may be wrong...
    12-13-13 10:47 AM
    The Q5 is money very well spent. It is a device that's extremely competent at what it's designed to do. It is not a device made solely to look "cool", like an iPhone...

The symbol on the back of a BlackBerry is to represent things in motion, such as bullets.

The symbol on the back of an IPhone shows you a bite taken out of it as if something were missing ( Not sure if it is the device lacking something or the lack of the users' brains, lol) .

Posted CB 10
    12-13-13 03:29 PM
    I got the BlackBerry Q5 today. I do not regret it one bit. It is a fantastic device.

On a 2-year contract it cost me only SGD 98/USD 78 but they gave me $50 shopping vouchers, a BlackBerry case, and I managed to get an additional SGD 50 off due to being a loyal customer.
    12-15-13 09:10 AM
    I've been using q5 for about 2 months now. So far no regrets, one of the best phones in the market with a budget price.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:36 PM
    Congrats on the purchase Ryanswj!!

Hope you enjoy the phone, and welcome to the BB10 Community of awesomeness!!!
    12-16-13 04:31 PM
    In my opinion the BlackBerry Q5 should be priced at CAD/USD199.00 off-contract just to move these devices into the hands of more people. The original pricing on every BlackBerry 10 smartphone has been way off base and contributed to lacklustre sales and adoption rates despite the clearly superior operating system and user experience. John Chen needs to announce a Christmas Blow-out Sale on every BlackBerry 10 smartphone model (Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30).
    12-17-13 03:35 PM
    In my opinion the BlackBerry Q5 should be priced at CAD/USD199.00 off-contract just to move these devices into the hands of more people. The original pricing on every BlackBerry 10 smartphone has been way off base and contributed to lacklustre sales and adoption rates despite the clearly superior operating system and user experience. John Chen needs to announce a Christmas Blow-out Sale on every BlackBerry 10 smartphone model (Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30).
    I agree with everything here. A major Christmas sale would be amazing for getting Blackberry's out to people and spreading the good word.
    12-18-13 08:14 AM
    A
    T

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    12-18-13 12:14 PM
    Just bought a new Q10 for $300.00 CAD

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:07 PM